03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    01-23-2022 04:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default How has having a sleeve changed your life?

I was wondering what was the most important thing that has changed since being sleeved.

I know there are so many but I would love to ask you what has changed and what would be you say top 3.

For me, it is being healthy and having energy like never before!

I think the best thing is to be able to dress and feel good instead of wearing something that just covers my body.
    Also, Make- up! the joy of feeling that I can get ready and feel happy with my appearance instead of feeling that I want to hide!

And of course, still enjoying food that is packed with flavour and nutritionally balanced and not having to worry about a diet. I truly eat healthily but its a lifestyle now not a diet for me anyway!

What did you find in your journey was life-changing?

What is your top 3 or more!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: How has having a sleeve changed your life?

I couldn't even count. It's been so long that, while I remember I was fat (I have photos!), I really don't remember how it felt being fat. I remember I was in denial, felt I was just fine until I'd see a picture and wonder who that old, fat lady was.

I just feel normal again. I am a regular person. I don't even THINK of doing something like buying a candy bar. I can do absolutely anything I want. I skied 4 weeks this winter. I snowshoed up mountains. I climbed Kilimanjaro in August. I am organizing a hiking trip the mountains this summer for myself, my daughter and her friends. I can bike with my husband. (But not as much as him, he's training for Ride the Rockies, a week long ride up and down mountain passes).

Wish I'd done it sooner!

I'm still learning new things every day, gotten super into Dr. Vuong. Everyone here probably thinks I'm nuts, but give him a try on YouTube.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Gastric Sleeve Pal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I couldn't even count. It's been so long that, while I remember I was fat (I have photos!), I really don't remember how it felt being fat. I remember I was in denial, felt I was just fine until I'd see a picture and wonder who that old, fat lady was.

I just feel normal again. I am a regular person. I don't even THINK of doing something like buying a candy bar. I can do absolutely anything I want. I skied 4 weeks this winter. I snowshoed up mountains. I climbed Kilimanjaro in August. I am organizing a hiking trip the mountains this summer for myself, my daughter and her friends. I can bike with my husband. (But not as much as him, he's training for Ride the Rockies, a week long ride up and down mountain passes).

Wish I'd done it sooner!

I'm still learning new things every day, gotten super into Dr. Yuong. Everyone here probably thinks I'm nuts, but give him a try on YouTube.
    You are such an inspiration and Wow!

These things are truly outstanding!

You certainly have got this!

I know how much you stay focussed as I see your posts on here and I am truly looking forward to doing some of these things when I have more time.

So Much that you have achieved and you look so Healthy which is a gift!

I have also watched this Dr, right before my surgery and yes he inspired me too!

I truly believe there is so much for us all to keep learning in this journey of ours Self Care and I am learning what fun that really is!

Thanks for sharing Sharon!
    Speak soon!

7. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Great question!
    I feel like the most important thing for me that has changed, is that now I feel like I am living--in fact, living my best life. Before being sleeved, I feel like I was just going through life, existing, but not LIVING my best life. I love to travel and have been traveling quite a bit since being sleeved. I love putting on clothes and knowing that they will fit and will look good, and not like you said "just cover my body." This surgery gave me my life back because I feel 1000% better than I ever did pre-sleeve.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member annaseaywallace's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/16/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-17-2020 09:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I wish I had an inspirational story or message to offer but fore me, it hasn't been a picnic in the park. I was sleeved on 11/29/18 and weighed in at 266 lbs. I am at my lowest weight now 15 months post-op at 256 lbs. Yes, that's it, a whopping 10 freaking pounds. The first couple of months I often got sick after eating. I felt sluggish and tired even with the supplements. After a few more months both of those finally leveled out. Now, if it weren't for still eating like a bird, I'd swear it had never happened. Although a few things have changed - I can't eat rice or pasta without getting sick and I have some strange "texture" issue since being sleeved which makes it hard for my to swallow some things such as supplements or meds. Also, I have been being treated for GERD for like 5 years now and since being sleeved it is immensely worse than before. All in all it's just been a big disappointment and a lot of heart ache over the past 15 months. So, here I am scheduled for revision to bypass. Hoping for much better results this time. Ya'all keep your fingers crossed for me, or if you are a person of Faith, a little prayer might go a long way!

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Being sleeved changed my life totally. :-)

I have so much more energy, I'm healthy, happy, I can run around with our ever increasing number of grandchildren (number 8 is on the way!), I can buy nice clothes easily (and more cheaply). I focus on healthy yummy meals, with the odd treat thrown in there without guilt. I enjoy exercise - walking and yoga are my choices.

Travelling is so much easier too. I am not squashed into the seat on a plane. I can walk for miles sightseeing, the heat doesn't bother me so much.

The flow on effect of my weight loss to my partner has been interesting too. He no longer eats as much as he used to (not that he was every very overweight), he is more focused on what goes in his mouth and has even started weighing his food like me. He is amazed that he doesn't actually require that "extra bit" that always ended up on his plate.

I enjoy trying new things - like the Dr Vuong green smoothies for breakfast thanks to Sharon - and am always trying out new recipes to keep our meals interesting. We don't seem to eat as much red meat as we did (I find it just a bit heavy for me now) and we are gravitating towards a few more non-meat meals in our weekly plan.

Life is just so much more exciting and fulfilling. I feel like I am finally living the life that everyone is entitled to.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by annaseaywallace View Post
    I wish I had an inspirational story or message to offer but fore me, it hasn't been a picnic in the park. I was sleeved on 11/29/18 and weighed in at 266 lbs. I am at my lowest weight now 15 months post-op at 256 lbs. Yes, that's it, a whopping 10 freaking pounds. The first couple of months I often got sick after eating. I felt sluggish and tired even with the supplements. After a few more months both of those finally leveled out. Now, if it weren't for still eating like a bird, I'd swear it had never happened. Although a few things have changed - I can't eat rice or pasta without getting sick and I have some strange "texture" issue since being sleeved which makes it hard for my to swallow some things such as supplements or meds. Also, I have been being treated for GERD for like 5 years now and since being sleeved it is immensely worse than before. All in all it's just been a big disappointment and a lot of heart ache over the past 15 months. So, here I am scheduled for revision to bypass. Hoping for much better results this time. Ya'all keep your fingers crossed for me, or if you are a person of Faith, a little prayer might go a long way!
    I will keep you in my prayers! What does your surgeon say? Something isn't right! Many who suffer from severe GERD convert from the sleeve to a bypass, so I hope that's the answer for you. I am so sorry for all you've been through.

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Great question!
    I feel like the most important thing for me that has changed, is that now I feel like I am living--in fact, living my best life. Before being sleeved, I feel like I was just going through life, existing, but not LIVING my best life. I love to travel and have been traveling quite a bit since being sleeved. I love putting on clothes and knowing that they will fit and will look good, and not like you said "just cover my body." This surgery gave me my life back because I feel 1000% better than I ever did pre-sleeve.
    Oh Wow!

This is awesome!

I am so happy to hear this I think this sums up how I feel about the sleeve too!

It sounds as if you have made life changes and have incorporated your success into finding happiness.

Many Thanks.

How lovely!

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Great question!
    Oh Wow!

This is awesome!

I am so happy to hear this I think this sums up how I feel about the sleeve too!

It sounds as if you have made life changes and have incorporated your success into finding happiness.

Many Thanks.

How lovely!

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Quote Originally Posted by annaseaywallace View Post
    I am so sorry to hear this!
    Thank You for letting us know there is another side!
    I will keep you in my prayers.
    I can't imagine what this must feel like but I have to say reading this my heart ached for you.

So unfair what you have been through.
    Please will you keep in touch so we know how you are getting on?

I would be interested in following what this may all be about for you and hope that you get a RESULT!

How long to do you have to wait?

With Thoughts x

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    Being sleeved changed my life totally. :-)

I have so much more energy, I'm healthy, happy, I can run around with our ever increasing number of grandchildren (number 8 is on the way!), I can buy nice clothes easily (and more cheaply). I focus on healthy yummy meals, with the odd treat thrown in there without guilt. I enjoy exercise - walking and yoga are my choices.

Travelling is so much easier too. I am not squashed into the seat on a plane. I can walk for miles sightseeing, the heat doesn't bother me so much.

The flow on effect of my weight loss to my partner has been interesting too. He no longer eats as much as he used to (not that he was every very overweight), he is more focused on what goes in his mouth and has even started weighing his food like me. He is amazed that he doesn't actually require that "extra bit" that always ended up on his plate.

I enjoy trying new things - like the Dr Vuong green smoothies for breakfast thanks to Sharon - and am always trying out new recipes to keep our meals interesting. We don't seem to eat as much red meat as we did (I find it just a bit heavy for me now) and we are gravitating towards a few more non-meat meals in our weekly plan.

Life is just so much more exciting and fulfilling. I feel like I am finally living the life that everyone is entitled to.
    KiwiGal,

This is fantastic to hear!

I love how you have told us the other side that I had forgotten about the heat! The energy to do more and take part in life.

You know I also noticed my Husband eats healthier and is not overweight but he too follows what we are eating in a totally different way I guess that is also important as we are maybe influencing in some way and I am convinced that it is a healthier version and I love your last bit "finally living the life that everyone is entitled to."

Many thanks to you for this.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

It's been quite a while since I've posted on this board. I had my sleeve in late 2013, I'm doing well although for me too it hasn't all been a walk in the park.
    After I got a post op infection from my sleeve, I healed up completely. Still have a bit of an ugly deep scar from one of the tiny incisions that developed the infection - but it's a small issue & at my age I probbably wouldn't choose to wear a two piece bathing suit either way.

I've lost all the weight I need to, never did get to my goal of 120 but close enough. I'm stable now between 130 and 135. For me, being overweight long term was not an issue. I gained too much weight after my 2nd spinal fusion went badly & I had a non-union. I couldn't work out at that point, and kept gaining. The sleeve got me out of that terrible cycle of pain, weight gain and one contributing to the other.

I was not overweight for years, have been slim & athletic most of my life. The sleeve helped me return to a better weight and feel like myself again. I didn't feel like I could not take a dance class or even watch a dance performance anymore, without a former class mate seeing me & me feeling ashamed of how I let myself go. I still take some dance classes, not as many as I'd like but I am older now - have less energy & my pain issues are still a factor. I enjoy my dance classes a lot when I do go. I also don't feel in horror of being in a photo anymore- I don't have many photos of my overweight phase because I was pretty camera shy.

Still can't eat much at one sitting, I can enjoy about 7 bites and after that there is no point because I won't enjoy what I eat. I had a problem with GERD before my sleeve, and it didn't seem worse to me from getting sleeved up until a few years ago. Now I discovered I have a large hiatal hernia, that I never had any issue with before my sleeve. Having a repeat endoscopy next week to see if the extra protonix has helped. I'm afraid I'm going to need surgery for the hernia, it really is an issue for me with reflux. I can avoid eating before bed, but I can't go all night without having any water.

Annaseaywallace - I hope your bypass works out well for you.