Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Old Veteran - New Journey

Hi Everyone.
    So I used to be on this board practically all day, every day. I got sleeved on 11/13/2013. It used to be the best day of my life. Now it's the anniversary of the biggest failure. I lost 118lbs. I was a rockstar (thanks for that Tinman and Ann2). I looked and felt amazing. Then life happened. I had some major martial problems, hurt my shoulder in the gym, and then broke my ankle in 3 places. After the injuries I was afraid to get back in the gym (which I had done every day, and 3 days week with a personal trainer). Then, to cope with the marital problems I hit the bottle. Or shall I say bottles. I was drinking 2 of the big bottles of moscato a day. I felt like weight loss surgery ruined my life and my marriage so I think I subconsciously put it back on to be safe again. We pulled through the problems and are stronger than ever but I still felt like WLS totally ruined my life. I started putting weight back on and couldn't figure out why. I was still eating well and following all the rules. But it kept coming and coming. I hit 160 and had the worst panic attack of my life. I started taking diet pills and trying atkins and working out every day but it still kept coming. Finally my mom smacked some sense in to me by telling me that just one regular sized bottle of wine has over 1000 calories. I was having the equivalent of 4. So I stopped, cold turkey. I had to face my problems and I did but it was hard. 3 years after I stopped and the weight is still coming on to this day. I honestly don't know why because I had stopped the drinking. No idea but now I'm at a regain of at least 60lbs. I say at least because I haven't weighed since last January. The scale would just put me in an emotional tail spin and I couldn't handle it. I went by how my clothes fit. No matter how hard I tried I could not lose any weight so I decided to have a revision to bypass. My doctor also wanted to look at my sleeve to see if anything was wrong. Well, turns out I have a significant hietal hernia and the top of my sleeve is stretched. Don't know how the hell that happened since I've literally only over eaten about a handful of times, never drink and eat at the same time, and don't eat slider foods (until recently). So his method of fixing it is the bypass. I'm terrified of it because it's just so invasive but I have to do something. I worked too damn hard to be this big again.
    My surgery date is 3/11 and I'm so scared and excited at the same time. I think it will be so much better this time because I know what I'm getting in to. I just want to be the me I was at 130 again. I felt amazing and looked amazing. My self confidence was through the roof. And the sex - oh my GOD. It was SO much better. That's a motivator in and of itself!! My husband assures me that the issues we had won't ever happen again and I believe him. So here we go again.
    I'm posting on this board because once a sleever, always a sleever. I always got so much support and love from my board peeps and I'm excited to start talking to you all again, plus some new ones! Since I'm technically a veteran I'm always here to answer questions or offer feedback on anything you all need. I've got a lot of knowledge and like I said, I was super successful at one point in time. I rocked my sleeve and I plan on rocking my little pouch too.
    So here we go again. If anyone knows anything about how a sleeve to bypass revision goes please tell me because I'm terrified!

Talk to you all soon!!

Jess

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Old Veteran - New Journey

You are brave for putting yourself out here! Best of luck with your surgery. Your insurance is paying a 2nd time? Lucky you!!

You would love some of the YouTube videos out there from Dr. Vuong. He talks a lot about the Whys of regain and what to do about it. He has a totally different diet than we were all told, and I got off 5 pounds of holiday regain in a week just from following it. Give it a try, maybe you don't need another surgery. I'm sure I've stretched out my stomach too, as I can eat much more now than the first few years. I am learning SO MUCH new information it's mind blowing. Just a thought, you'll do great in whatever you decide!

(Don't watch him if the occasional bad language offends you).

Here's a good one to start with: "The Current Problem With Weight Loss Surgery"--Real Talk with Dr. V

This one talks about food: Real Talk With Dr. V: "What To Eat To Stop Weight Regain"

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

well, it’s covered since it’s medically necessary to repair the hernia so that’s good. I’ve tried the resets and all that stuff and I’m getting nowhere except for back on the diet roller coaster. This is not where I wanted to be again ever and it’s my own damn fault. Well, that and the stupid injuries that got me out of the gym to begin with. This time if I start having emotional problems I am going to see a counselor. And I am going to support meetings and all of my follow up appointments and nutritionist visits. I busted my ASS to lose the weight but I didn’t do the work to keep it off before. I thought that once it was gone everything would be perfect and I’d never be fat again. The problem is that I did almost no research before I got sleeved. I saw a friend who had it done and 2 months later I did it. I don’t regret it for a second. I regret not learning anything to apply to life after WLS. Now there is no way I can fail because I have the knowledge on top of the drive. I’m just so happy that I get a second chance. I feel like I don’t deserve it but after everything I went through after my surgery, I’m damn well gonna do this for myself. I don’t know everything but I know I can do this and this time keep it off. I’m so excited!!!

Revision stats:

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You can do it, you are a strong woman! That seems to be the biggest problem with weight loss surgery, they give you a few classes with a nutritionist, ONE meeting with a psychologist/psychiatrist, surgery, and then you're basically on your own. I had a 3 month follow up appointment and then was done. I have learned absolutely nothing new in my 6 years since surgery. That's why I am super excited to have stumbled on these Dr. Yuong videos a few weeks ago, as I am learning new things. I have changed up my diet. Research has changed in the years since my surgery. (Like they are now saying there's nothing super healthy in a protein drink or bar, it's not REAL food). I finally feel empowered to get my life straight. Sort of like a free counselor.

We were sleeved within a few weeks of each other. We can do this!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2019
    Last Activity
    09-22-2020 04:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I think you are incredibly brave to post such a personal post about your struggles. It is so hard to admit help might be needed again. I know you will do brilliantly because by posting on here you are already committing to doing what is needed to get back to where you were comfortable.
    I understand how injuries can really set you back. When i was 19, im 41 now. I lost 6 stone just by counting calories and working out every day. I did an hours swim every day, walked 3 hours a week abd did 3 aerobics workouts a week. I lost it all in just 6 months and felt great. I even kept it off for 2 years at university. Then i broke my leg and damaged my arm. I was in a wheelchair for 6 months then tookmonths on crutches to recover. Literally the week i came off crutches i tore the ligaments in my other leg! Over the 2 years i finally took to recover i started slowly putting all the weight back on.
    Best of luck, i look forward to reading all your progress.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI! I believe the weight loss surgery is a tool so that you can eat'normally' again but much smaller quantities. I had my surgery almost 2 years go and just had my final consultation with the dietitian. She said told me that allot of people who have bariatric surgery end up with marital problems because things change with the spouse who has lost the weight. I think when having the surgery, both parties should be involved from the get go. I am very lucky as my husband has been a huge support and he love shaving his old wife back. Sraeber, i have now started watching Dr Vuong's videos and they are great, I love his saying.... You are greater than food. I am sure my sleeve has stretched, however I still eat small portions, but now I gym 5/6 times week and then walk the dog. The dietitian has said the statistics say that a percetage of people will regain, but its not normaly all the weight you have lost. I hope I can stay as I am, I weigh myself everyday and as soon as I go up 1kg I get strict for a couple of days. I do have the odd days where I eat junk food, but not trigger foods. I still only drink water. Keep positive and good luck with your new surgery.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

jessie,
    Congratulations on all that you've accomplished and coming out on the other side. You have bought up some great points about WLS. Once the surgery is over, there really are no coping tools, besides your nutritionist that you can utilize--at least there were none 6 years ago. I think we've all had some type of regain, and I'm beginning to suspect that that is pretty normal--it's how we handle getting that regain off is the problem. Glad you're getting a second chance by having the bypass. You seem determined and you've done your research, that's all you can do. Good Luck!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Jessie, so tickled you are back and determined! You've been through a lot already and praying for the best success and healing ever!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

I have a notebook where I am going to journal and keep track of my goals so I can stay on top of things and work out how my emotions are tied to food. I also put stickies on my bathroom mirror with inspirational quotes. I love the I am greater than food. It’s going on the mirror. Lol.
    Yeah, I got one appointment with the nutritionist Pre-op where she showed me the food pyramid. Really? Like I’ve never seen that before? Totally useless. I learned more from this board than I ever did from my team.
    I read that around 20% of sleeves need revisions. I wish I’d known that before. Nobody told me anything about how to live after WLS. I’m going to keep reading and learning all I can about my feelings and what to do clinically so I don’t ever return to this place of self loathing. I’m bound and determined to succeed this time. I’m 46. The clock is ticking and I refuse to be another statistic. I mean, I already am one and I don’t want to add more to the list. This is my second chance and I’m not going to waste it. I kept all of my tiny clothes as goals. I had a bad ass wardrobe and can’t wait to get back in to it.

Revision stats:

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Jess
    Thank you so very much for sharing your story.
    This forum is vital to me and my continuing journey.
    It really helps when people share the good, the not so good and sometimes the downright ugly parts of their lives after being sleeved. I believe that it benefits us all to know some of the potential pitfalls that can trip us up along the way.
    You have had an awful lot to contend with. You said that you were super successful at one time - well I believe that you will be super successful again.
    Please keep coming on here. We need veterans like you to help the rest of us along the road.....and maybe, just maybe, we can be here for you too :-)
    I wish you all the best and I look forward to seeing photos of you in those "bad ass" clothes ;-)

20. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    I have a notebook where I am going to journal and keep track of my goals so I can stay on top of things and work out how my emotions are tied to food. I also put stickies on my bathroom mirror with inspirational quotes. I love the I am greater than food. It’s going on the mirror. Lol.
    Yeah, I got one appointment with the nutritionist Pre-op where she showed me the food pyramid. Really? Like I’ve never seen that before? Totally useless. I learned more from this board than I ever did from my team.
    I read that around 20% of sleeves need revisions. I wish I’d known that before. Nobody told me anything about how to live after WLS. I’m going to keep reading and learning all I can about my feelings and what to do clinically so I don’t ever return to this place of self loathing. I’m bound and determined to succeed this time. I’m 46. The clock is ticking and I refuse to be another statistic. I mean, I already am one and I don’t want to add more to the list. This is my second chance and I’m not going to waste it. I kept all of my tiny clothes as goals. I had a bad ass wardrobe and can’t wait to get back in to it.
    Seriously, Dr. Vuong!! Just watch a few and you'll be hooked. He helped me so much. I'm doing a February challenge currently with him, and it's been amazing. Can't wait to see you in you in that bad ass wardrobe!!