Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 02:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Traveling Alone to Tiajuana for Surgery

Who has traveled to Tiajuana alone for their gastric sleeve? How was it being alone? How was the plane ride home? How was the car ride home? I'm traveling alone to Tiajuana for a sleeve on March 17th. I'm not really worried about my safety. I am worried about the plane ride and I will be driving home alone for 3 hours after landing. I have told my husband and kids that I'm not answering my phone while I'm there. I'm scared of a huge phone bill from international calls, roaming, etc. I should be able to video chat, right? Is there internet at Baja Hospital? My husband was really against me going alone but someone needed to stay with our kids and 4 dogs.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Traveling Alone to Tiajuana for Surgery

Hi Brandip. I had my surgery 9 days ago and I’m not allowed to drive yet. I am in the UK but here my car insurance will not cover me to drive yet and my surgeon said I should not drive anyway so please check this out before you make a decision. Good Luck with everything x

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

On the plane get up and walk a lot. The biggest worry would be blood clots. Plus you shouldn't be lifting your luggage. I guess you'd have to ask a stranger for help.

I'm worried about you making a 3 hour drive right after major surgery. That's pretty crazy. Isn't there any way you can arrange to have someone pick you up? I think I would fall asleep while driving. Not to mention you can't be on any pain meds and drive.

Good luck! I had a 10 minute drive from the hospital to my bed.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member immyonlycomp1's Avatar
    Name
    Lakeshia Williams
    Surgery date
    03/17/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-26-2023 03:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

My surgery date is that same day and I’ll be using Lyft to get to the airport and my return trip home. I will also be traveling alone so maybe we can meet up. I know this didn’t answer your question.

8. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Craig
    Last Activity
    04-27-2022 11:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi everyone!
    These are pretty common questions and we actually just received a testimonial today from a patient that traveled on her own that I wanted to share with you:
    weightlossagents.com/testimonials/best-decision-ever-great-service-lap-band-revision-to-sleeve-07312019-80c00383d8

We have a lot of patients that travel on their own and still have a great experience. And in regards to your concerns about traveling after your procedure, remember that the gastric sleeve is a fairly quick and minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure, and patients typically stay for 3 nights recovery before returning home. This allows plenty of time to recover before traveling home. Please feel free to contact us anytime if you need any additional information or have any questions!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by brandib View Post
    Who has traveled to Tiajuana alone for their gastric sleeve? How was it being alone? How was the plane ride home? How was the car ride home? I'm traveling alone to Tiajuana for a sleeve on March 17th. I'm not really worried about my safety. I am worried about the plane ride and I will be driving home alone for 3 hours after landing. I have told my husband and kids that I'm not answering my phone while I'm there. I'm scared of a huge phone bill from international calls, roaming, etc. I should be able to video chat, right? Is there internet at Baja Hospital? My husband was really against me going alone but someone needed to stay with our kids and 4 dogs.
    First I need to mention you can not drive yourself home let alone 3 hr drive. That is dangerous not only for you but others on the road. You really need your husband or someone else to drive you to the airport and pick you up. You will be exhausted and in pain from surgery after traveling. You will not be cleared until at least 2 weeks.
    Good news check with your carrier and they can tell you how to talk and text without roaming charges.
    You will get picked up from the airport in a group. Almost Everything you do will be with a group so your really not alone much. There were woman traveling a lone and had no problems.
    I wish you had picked a different doctor. Did you type your surgeons name on the internet. I tell you all this out of love and I apologize for scaring you it’s not my intention. San Diego News has done stories on this doctor. I had life threatening and life changing complications because of Dr Almanza. They act like they review your medical history and will turn you down if you are not a good candidate and that is false. I had history of acid reflux, and Hiatal Hernia and had a Nissan wrap. I didn’t know this surgery can make reflux and heartburn worse and you can’t have a Nissan wrap. Dr A cut my Nissan wrap keeping the valve close between stomach and esophagus and left it and never told me or my husband. I had problems that delayed me coming up but fortunately pulled through it thanks to the nurses. I had awful heartburn but did good for the first 13 mos after surgery and lost 150lbs. My life became amazing during that time. Then came crashing down, developed A-Fib, had stroke 3 mos later paralyzing left side and taking short term memory and my reflux became severe including waking up choking on acid. I went back and saw surgeon that did my wrap. I needed a revision to bypass after test showed I had large hiatal hernia and cell changes on my esophagus. During bypass they found my stomach in my chest causing A-Fib and. Stroke. 8 days after surgery I had a leak and 2 days later I had a bowel rupture from unknown bowel obstruction caused by feeding tube presser. Became septic and almost died. I had tangled intestines I had to come back for because I was to unstable. Then I went on TPN, IV nutrition and nothing by mouth. Was on TPN for 3 mos than after surgery #4 eventually went back on feeding tube. Just wasn’t getting better after months of being in the hospital and surgeries. After lots & lots of misery my GI doctor discovered my colon was now paralyzed. I had more test with Colorectal surgeon. In October I had total Colectomy (entire colon removed) permanent Ileostomy, rectum and appendix removed. I had to be cut open because of all the scar tissue. Because of WLS and having an Ileostomy I’m having a hard time absorb nutrition. It’s been hard. I mostly over come my stroke. I should of had a Bypass with my history. I pray your surgery is successful but I just couldn’t let you have surgery by this man without you knowing. Dr A should be banned along with the agency scamming so many people into thinking they care for your well being. I pray you have a successful surgery and have no long term problems like me. CCF2E912-4554-4CCE-B251-DF71F9A3390C.jpeg8A36F48F-E0D1-4CE0-BD6C-D9C6C23EE264.jpeg3E094CB0-B060-44CE-8D1C-BCD7EA1EF0C2.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

OMG Tamera, you have had about everything go wrong that could go wrong. You are obviously a very strong person to come through this and I wish you much good luck for the future. What valuable information for Bandib.

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by WLA_Craig View Post
    Hi everyone!
    These are pretty common questions and we actually just received a testimonial today from a patient that traveled on her own that I wanted to share with you:
    weightlossagents.com/testimonials/best-decision-ever-great-service-lap-band-revision-to-sleeve-07312019-80c00383d8

We have a lot of patients that travel on their own and still have a great experience. And in regards to your concerns about traveling after your procedure, remember that the gastric sleeve is a fairly quick and minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure, and patients typically stay for 3 nights recovery before returning home. This allows plenty of time to recover before traveling home. Please feel free to contact us anytime if you need any additional information or have any questions!
    You'll get a different answer from the person selling the surgery to the actual people who have had the surgery.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Thank you Sally, I really appreciate your feedback. I’m determined to get my life back and I don’t want anyone to go through what I did. I still believe in WLS However I feel it’s critical to have surgery done by a doctor that does more than one type of WLS that way you know the doctor is picking the right surgery for you and have a good chance his looked at your medical history. Not everyone is a good candidate for the sleeve and as I discovered revisions can be life threatening and life changing. It’s important to find a doctor you can be contact after you get home in case you have problems. I only saw Dr Almanza Once and that was with all his surgery patients that day. Never saw him again. I was put under before he came into the OR. I also feel Weightloss Agents aren’t necessary looking after patients best interest and can’t be trusted. There are some great WLS Doctors out there. I unfortunately learned some things the hard way. I’m very thankful to have lost the weight but wish I did have to pay such a high price. I wish you the very best.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

How are you doing now Tamera? Back to normal? Or is it a very long recovery process? Glad to hear from you!!

Gastric Sleeve Member annaseaywallace's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/16/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-17-2020 09:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I am also travelling alone. I will be arriving on 3/15 and having surgery on 3/16. Super nervous about going alone but thankful that when I come back my drive from the airport home is only 15 minutes. I wont be bringing much for luggage, just a small carry on bag with a loose dress to wear in the hospital and clean undies, tooth brush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I think the worst part of travelling home is going to be the 3 1/2 hour layover at DFW. Does anyone know if the hospital has free wifi so that we can at least keep in touch with our families?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brandi
    Surgery date
    03/17/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 02:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

I was told there was free wifi.

22. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-15-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

annaseaywallace Too bad you are not going a week earlier. I am traveling alone as well arriving on 3/2 surgery on 3/3. I am not looking forward to the layovers either, but I also live close to my airport once I am home. So excited and worried at the same time, only cuz I worry about everything
    Reason: add info

24. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I shouldn't be snarky, but free Wifi is probably the least of your concerns. Airline travel while perfectly healthy can be a pain: delays, canceled flights, etc. Getting to the airport, moving luggage, the flight, more luggage, the long drive home after major surgery should be concerning. Not to mention you're in a foreign country. Please don't go alone guys! Get help from a friend or family member. The price of an extra ticket is worth your health. I had a 10 minute drive home to my bed, and boy, did I need that bed. (I basically slept that first week). You are all talking about a trip that could take 10 hours or more from your Mexico hotel to your bed.

Gastric Sleeve Member annaseaywallace's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/16/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-17-2020 09:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Not all of us can afford to shovel out an extra $500 for a plane ticket plus another $70 a night for a guest to stay with us. Having said that, having a way to communicate with the support I have back home is super important and right at the top of my list of concerns. I doubt that any one of us wants to travel alone but sometimes we have to put our big girl panties on, do things we don't necessarily want to do and have faith that things will go well.

27. Said thanks: