Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Thread: More of Dr. V

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default More of Dr. V

I am super excited to have found this doctor after having my surgery 6 years ago. As a self pay patient, I never saw my surgeon after 3 months post op. So I haven't learned any new information in 6 years. (But I do have you all, which is super helpful). This guy is like my new therapist.

For new people, this is one of my favorite videos. Give it a try and tell me what you think! I would say it's required watching, especially for new people.

The Emotional Side of Weight Loss Surgery: Video 4 of 5 in Long Term Success Series, Dr. V

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: More of Dr. V

He does reinforce what I've always been saying, that being positive and excited about your surgery will take you far!

As far as his surgery stages, I'm well beyond the "Nobody Cares Anymore" phase and into the "We Really Have no Statistics This Far Out" stage. So those of us 6+ years out will have to show people we can be successful long term.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Nobody has watched him? This is the first time I have learned anything new in 6 years.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon, yes I have.
    I have incorporated a few of his ideas (the big salad, the reduction (not elimination) of coffee), and making "live" food a bigger piece of my diet.

I agree - we are basically in "new" territory, especially for us as individuals. I am not 25 (although I can fit in jeans from back then, lol). I am not as fortunate as some of our long time members who can be physically active. BUT I can make the changes that work for me, and ensure the great health the sleeve returned to me in so many ways continues!

I did get a copy of his book (on Kindle) "Weight Loss Surgery Success" (A-z for Losing Weight and Gaining Enlightenment)". I read its small meditations periodically because it helps remind me that my body is where my spirit recedes, and they are dependent on each becoming balanced and healthy.

I do embrace the idea that I don't have to live my life as a "sleeved" person.

I think different things come into our life at different times when we are ready. If they come to early, we aren't at a point where we can reach out and incorporate them.

I would never have viewed myself as someone who was "obese", which I can see and know I was. I would never have thought about a VGS if I had not been truly desperate to regain my health (appearance being an extra). NOR do I think I would have been quite as successful if we had not made the decision, despite being self-pay. It was an enormous amount of money for us retired folks to plunk out on something that wasn't for memories, or to help our kids succeed. BUT yet it did both those things.

I truly followed the pre-op diet to the letter; I followed every post-op suggestion to the letter as well. And I've continued to maintain my loss, plus or minus 4 lbs, the past 2 years.

The forum here, the solid advice, has allowed me the freedom to be ready for some new ideas like Dr. V. I happen to agree with him, even in the things I am not quite ready to embrace (like NO coffee - that's crazy talk!)

Then again, when I was in my 20-40, I did not drink caffeine of any kind; I ate whole foods, not red meat and ran a food co-op out of our home. My kids did not have refined sugar until the youngest was 11 -- life changes in our family came and I ressumed a career outside my home, single parent.

What I'm saying is, yes to Dr. V. For me, at this point in life. Returning to a commitment to true health seems wise, especially since it keeps me in balance better than the other way.

Would it work for everyone? Probably not. Will it help us succeed in our goals of long life, health for memories and activities, absolutely.

Probably TMI, since the short answer is yes, I have watched and agreed with him.

And in noting the irony of life, I am the same height and weight as Jennifer Lopez this morning; bway ha ha, our "containers" are not the same. But she does follow a healthy eating style that is pretty darn close to Dr. V. Will I ever look like her? Nope. Her energies are determined by her talents and her life, as are mine.

I can be the best almost 68-year-old version of me, and if it means I skip some things I thought I needed to eat, that's now ok.

At 25, even with aa VGS, I don't think it would have been.

HUGS to all of you!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I've certainly watched a few of Dr V's videos - want to get into some more.
    Am now having green smoothies for breakfast and loving them. Much more sustaining than the protein shakes I was having.
    I'm still experimenting with flavours etc but they are spinach based (I can't abide Kale!) and have some kind of fruit and against Dr V's instructions I use cows milk. I have ordered some unflavoured protein powder to add to them as I need a little more than I'm getting. I've also cut out the snacks. Amazing how snacking can become grazing quite easily :-). Am down 1.5kg in just a couple of days. Loving the new information.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I using the spinach as well; it's a milder taste and my digestion is not quite up to kale, other than in a daily salad.
    I've also lost, changing breakfast out for smoothie! And not hungry, either.

I wish blenders weren't so hard to clean out!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I just have a little ninja one that is not hard to clean, basically one drinking cup.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    I've certainly watched a few of Dr V's videos - want to get into some more.
    Am now having green smoothies for breakfast and loving them. Much more sustaining than the protein shakes I was having.
    I'm still experimenting with flavours etc but they are spinach based (I can't abide Kale!) and have some kind of fruit and against Dr V's instructions I use cows milk. I have ordered some unflavoured protein powder to add to them as I need a little more than I'm getting. I've also cut out the snacks. Amazing how snacking can become grazing quite easily :-). Am down 1.5kg in just a couple of days. Loving the new information.
    My husband thinks kale is a communist conspiracy and only belongs in salad bar decoration. I'm the same as you, I'm doing about 80% of what he says. I still do dairy, coffee, and protein shakes as coffee creamer. I'm working on the mediation, never done that before, but I'm trying. Just the green smoothie and no snacking is helping.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

"My husband thinks kale is a communist conspiracy and only belongs in salad bar decoration."

Lol - I'm with your hubby on that one.

I also have the Ninja and it is a breeze to clean :-)

I am thrilled with the results a couple of small changes have made. It's so good to get new/different information to help keep things interesting.