Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member Pica’s Mom's Avatar
    Last Activity
    05-12-2020 11:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Surgery location

I will be having surgery in the near future. My surgery will be private pay. I’ve got my eye on two different surgery centers so far. My question is...has anyone done private pay if so what surgery centers did you guys use? I’m trying to do as much research as I can due to me being private pay.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Surgery location

I was private pay but I live in the UK so no help to you. There will be someone on here who can help you though.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would look for one that's a "Center of Excellence." It's a lot of extra work they have to go through to prove they are one of the best. I would also look into complication insurance. I was self pay, so if I had a complication and had to go back to the hospital, that would be out-of-pocket too. Luckily, I didn't need it.

Both places probably have free informational seminars where the surgeon speaks and you meet the team. I'd go to both and see what you learn. Which one makes you the most comfortable? Prices may be quite different too. Good luck with your research.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was self pay. I had my surgery with Dr. Thomas Borland in New Iberia, Louisiana. It was only $9,800. I did have to have some pre-op tests that were not included in that price, but I went to my local urgent care for those, and my insurance covered the cost. Also I didnt purchase any type of insurance specific to the procedure. I got very sick with complications a couple of months in, and my regular insurance covered all of the doctors and hospital stays. Since my surgery, several people I know have gone to him after being impressed with my results. Good luck on your journey to finding your surgeon.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I was self pay. I had my surgery with Dr. Thomas Borland in New Iberia, Louisiana. It was only $9,800. I did have to have some pre-op tests that were not included in that price, but I went to my local urgent care for those, and my insurance covered the cost. Also I didnt purchase any type of insurance specific to the procedure. I got very sick with complications a couple of months in, and my regular insurance covered all of the doctors and hospital stays. Since my surgery, several people I know have gone to him after being impressed with my results. Good luck on your journey to finding your surgeon.
    You were lucky to have coverage! My insurance even denied routine blood work ordered by my PCP a year after surgery, and it cost me $1,000. I think anything that goes wrong for the rest of my life they will say is due to bariatric surgery and not pay.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    You were lucky to have coverage! My insurance even denied routine blood work ordered by my PCP a year after surgery, and it cost me $1,000. I think anything that goes wrong for the rest of my life they will say is due to bariatric surgery and not pay.
    I didn't tell them I had bariatric surgery, so maybe that's why. I did tell my doctors when I was sick, but it was all still covered. And when Meg got sick and had all those months in ICU and life support, they covered that too. I guess I was really REALLY lucky because those bills were HUGE! Also today is the 4 year anniversary of them telling me she had multiple strokes I am having so much anxiety and tears for all the hell she went through and is still going through 4 years later.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I didn't tell them I had bariatric surgery, so maybe that's why. I did tell my doctors when I was sick, but it was all still covered. And when Meg got sick and had all those months in ICU and life support, they covered that too. I guess I was really REALLY lucky because those bills were HUGE! Also today is the 4 year anniversary of them telling me she had multiple strokes I am having so much anxiety and tears for all the hell she went through and is still going through 4 years later.
    I didn't tell either, but the hospital screwed up and sent some bills to my insurance company. So now they know. Total violation of HIPPA I'm sure, but I can't take it back. I only have three years to Medicare, so then I hope things start from scratch.