Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Former Rockstar considering revision

So I was a rockstar according to Tinman. Starting weight in 2013 was 248. By 2015 I was 130. I felt and looked incredible for the first time in my life. Then the regain started. 6 years post surgery and I’m probably back around 200. I don’t know for sure because I broke up with my scale a year ago. Too many panic attacks. So now I’m considering a revision to a resleeve or bypass. I’ve done tons of research but I want real people to tell me about real experiences. Please share your revision stories with me. I don’t want to make a bad decision.

Thanks!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Former Rockstar considering revision

HI Jessie, I cannot help about the resleeve but I do have some questions for you. I started off at about the same weight as you before my sleeve and am now about what you got down to. I am curious as to how long after did you start to regain weight and do you or did you exercise. I am so scared of gaining weight back, but as you know as time goes by you are able to eat more and yes, bad habits do start to creep back. I do weigh myself twice maybe more everyday , and as soon as i see the scale wonder too far up the scale, i go back to basics. So far that has worked. All the best.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Would your insurance pay twice? Or would you be self pay twice? Any reason you can't get back to basics and lose again? Best of luck in whatever you decide.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member goestogym's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sasse
    Last Activity
    07-13-2022 11:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times
    Blog Entries

Regain is a sad part of this experience-I attend a bariatric support group in my area and watch either people struggle with it, deal with it, or give in to it. I'm fascinated by the show "My 600-pound life" and see so much of myself in the episodes. The sad fact is that the core issues aren't addressed in any surgical procedure. The real reason for weight gain is overeating--and the reason we overeat is psychological. There's no shame in consulting with a counselor in dealing with why
    we eat. It also may be paid for through insurance.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My maintainance secret is to weigh daily. Even when you know it's gonna suck!! That way you get back on track before it gets too bad.

I did join Weight Watchers to help with maintenance. I gained some after breaking my neck. (Fine now!). I like the accountability and it works if you do it. Hope you find something that works for you!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I do agree with sraebaer. I log my food, even when I know I have totally gone off the rails (well, not in too big a way, but enough to move the scales the wrong way). I weigh every day, and sometimes I get on and off several times hoping it was not really that number.

BUT I also give my self a "drop dead" number. And so far (only 2+ years) when/if the scales says that, I review what I have been eating and doing, and adjust to get back below that. I was self pay, and would be devastated to have spent all that much (we're both retired) and then become unhealthy through my choices.

YES I struggle with my food relationship more than"normal" people, I think. But I post here often, and read every day. I journal about my 67 years of eating baggage, where I went from 103 to 240 to various in betweens. I still hear my mother saying I was fat, even though I was not.

It's hard to realize how much "weirdness" got us to the VGS point in life, and we are never going to be perfect.

But things like family, work, lack of sleep, not enough body movement (whether you yoga, exercise, walk, or chair exercise) can change your weight and your outlook.

I don't know about revision. I have read about "re set" and Dr. V on YouTube seems to have some very good information; that said, your own physician and your self knowledge are your best tools.

Do you think if you had another surgery, the other issues are at a place where you can move forward?

Praying for the best decision and outcome for you!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I always say that losing weight is one thing, but maintenance is a totally different animal. Before you try a revision. Have you gone back to basics? Opening up that sleeve bible and going back to the guidelines that we used when we first got sleeved? I am sure that there is still restriction especially if you're eating protein first, then veggies. Like Sharon, I went back to Weight Watchers. I need the accountability. I weigh almost daily so that I can see what "the number" is. I am hoping that you find something that will help you get back on track, if that happens to be a revision, then so be it. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elllie View Post
    HI Jessie, I cannot help about the resleeve but I do have some questions for you. I started off at about the same weight as you before my sleeve and am now about what you got down to. I am curious as to how long after did you start to regain weight and do you or did you exercise. I am so scared of gaining weight back, but as you know as time goes by you are able to eat more and yes, bad habits do start to creep back. I do weigh myself twice maybe more everyday , and as soon as i see the scale wonder too far up the scale, i go back to basics. So far that has worked. All the best.
    Hi Ellie. I hit my lowest weight of 130 by October 2015. From March 2014 to April 2015 I worked out every day for at least an hour and twice a week with a personal trainer. Then I had to stop working out so much because I developed a pinched nerve in my neck that was causing excruciating pain in my shoulder and all the way down my arm. I had to have a surgical procedure to fix that. My workout frequency drastically reduced because I was afraid of hurting myself again. I probably worked out 2 - 3 times a week on a good week and it wasn’t as hard. Then, to add insult to injury, in October 2016 I broke my ankle in 3 places and was laid up for 8 weeks. I never got back in the gym after that. I tried to start up with my personal trainer again and went three times but then pulled my quad so bad I could hardly walk for weeks. That was it. I know I have to get over my fear of getting hurt again because I totally LOVE LOVE LOVE working out and it’s the only way I will be successful again. I just have to not push myself so hard. I totally over-did it.

I started to gain around May 2016 and it came on gradually ever since. I tried going back to basics and the pouch reset and a few other diets and even diet pills and still kept gaining. I even got on my elliptical every morning for a month WHILE doing Atkins and still no loss. I recently found out that it’s because when you lose weight, your resting metabolic rate goes down making regain really easy. Mine is now 1258 calories a day so anything over that over time caused the regain. I wish I’d known that before last week!! i would have done things a LOT differently! Oh well. At least I know it now.

I hope this information is helpful. PM me any time if you have questions about anything. I know a LOT about post-op losing at least. Not so much apparently on the maintaining though. Lol.

Take care!

Revision stats:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

Reply to all the other posts:
    I did all the resets and all that stuff and unfortunately they didn’t work for me. I used my fitness pal and tracked everything I even breathed. I also know I have a lot of emotions tied to food. I’ve been doing a lot of journaling to get this stuff all worked out and will be going to support meetings this time too. I didn’t do that before. I’m also working on finding a good counselor. I need more support this time around. I thought I could do it all on my own and keep it off and I was wrong. I do still have the restriction and I have always followed the protein first rule and the don’t drink while you eat rule. I really haven’t gone very far off the rails at all. I am 99% sure I drank around my sleeve (wine in lieu of a counselor). I will not be doing that again, ever.
    Regarding the revision, I went to see my surgeon and he said he wanted to have a look at my sleeve to see what is going on. He did an EGD and found a hiatal hernia so he is doing a bypass to correct it. He said that’s what they recommend for patients who have had a sleeve. Must be, because my insurance is going to cover it but they weren’t before the hernia was found. So now I have no choice.
    My surgery date is 3/11. I’m nervous as hell but also excited. It was so hard losing the first time. I just hope it works again and I can actually keep it off. So, here we go again!! I’m going to be on this board a lot for support, just like old times. And that’s a good thing.

Revision stats:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kysunshine's Avatar
    Name
    Joy
    Surgery date
    02/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nwanguma
    Last Activity
    06-28-2023 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Good luck! I hope this procedure will be successful for you. I am also struggling with a regain......

Gastric Sleeve Member Gastric Sleeve Pal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    01-23-2022 04:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Reply to all the other posts:
    I did all the resets and all that stuff and unfortunately they didn’t work for me. I used my fitness pal and tracked everything I even breathed. I also know I have a lot of emotions tied to food. I’ve been doing a lot of journaling to get this stuff all worked out and will be going to support meetings this time too. I didn’t do that before. I’m also working on finding a good counselor. I need more support this time around. I thought I could do it all on my own and keep it off and I was wrong. I do still have the restriction and I have always followed the protein first rule and the don’t drink while you eat rule. I really haven’t gone very far off the rails at all. I am 99% sure I drank around my sleeve (wine in lieu of a counselor). I will not be doing that again, ever.
    Regarding the revision, I went to see my surgeon and he said he wanted to have a look at my sleeve to see what is going on. He did an EGD and found a hiatal hernia so he is doing a bypass to correct it. He said that’s what they recommend for patients who have had a sleeve. Must be, because my insurance is going to cover it but they weren’t before the hernia was found. So now I have no choice.
    My surgery date is 3/11. I’m nervous as hell but also excited. It was so hard losing the first time. I just hope it works again and I can keep it off. So, here we go again!! I’m going to be on this board a lot for support, just like old times. And that’s a good thing.
    Hi

Wow!

Good Luck for tomorrow and so interesting to hear all that you have been through.

I wish you well and I am so interested and curious to hear all about your journey from this point please do tell us how it goes! as I am touched by your honesty and offer you so much support!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Sending you good wishes for surgery today.
    Please let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it.
    x

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Hope everything went well! Wishing you a quick recovery!

Gastric Sleeve Member Sandown64's Avatar
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    01/21/2020
    Surgeon
    Mr Hamouda
    Last Activity
    11-01-2020 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I hope everything went well and wish you a speedy recovery and back to some serious weight loss !

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Injuries throw such a wrench into things. I think they mess with your head as much as the physical damage to the body. I hope you are doing alright and that everything went well with your surgery.