Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

Default Strange sensations

I have just started having some odd sensations in my diaphragm the past couple days. They aren't really painful, so I don't think I should call my Dr. I'm a little over 1 1/2 years out and this is the first time I've had something happen that has given me pause. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Strange sensations

For something to be happening that far out I might call the doctor, just to be safe.

Gastric Sleeve Member Twodogfox's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Charles J. Swannack, MD, FACS
    Last Activity
    12-15-2019 01:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Juanita. This forum has really quieted down. Maybe it's just us veterans that we get notifications from. Strange feelings is really vague. Is it a cramping, gurgling, fluttering? My big concern right now it's bone density. I see the doctor tomorrow for my results but she called in Fosomax already. I do wonder if it was caused by our restricted diet and maybe not absorbing enough nutrients. Plus I've gained back some weight. The appetite returned. It's 10 - 15lbs but scaring me to death. I use to be so critical of those that gained it back. Now I get it. I'm going to ask her to put me on appetite suppressant for a while to break the cycle. I still can't eat a lot but one can snack and I think about food all evening. How are you doing with this issue this far out?

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

I've noticed the forum seems quieter.

It's kind of hard to describe. I guess I would call it a cramping sensation. Today it seems to have settled in my left hip/waist area.
    My weight seems to have settled at 160. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost more either. I do have diarrhea almost daily, so i wonder if that is what is keeping me from gaining back. I do get hungry and really haven't had a problem eating anything.

I'm really sorry to hear about your bone density issue you're having. And gaining is also a fear I have, I totally can see how it can happen. My Dr put me on phentermine for a few months and I lost maybe 5 pounds, but gained it back once I went off it. This is a tool and we definitely have to learn how to use it. Ongoing and baby steps for sure! You can do this!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI Juanita, its probably best to go and see your doctor and get an opinion. It could be lots of different things causing the pain and nothing to do with the sleeve. It can also be anxiety, which can cause pain in that area and feel like you might be having a heart attack. You should also see about having daily diarrhea, as that isn't normal, but once again that could be from anxiety and it could also be from eating something that isn't agreeing with you. There are so many different reasons for things and the doctor is always the best person to go to first. I hope you are able to get it sorted. As for weight gain, I am petrified of gaining weight back and yes I can definitely eat more and snack more. What helps me is weighing myself everyday (ok I am obsessed and weigh myself 3/4 times a day, not good at all) and exercise, for me exercise is the best thing. I have got down to my weight I wanted to get to when I started on this journey and am hoping to be able to stay there. I used to see a dietitian for having disordered eating ( anorexia, bulimia and overeating) and she told me that if you can stay at a weight for 6 months, then that is the weight that your body will always try and get back to, so try and get to a weight you can maintain and hopefully that is where you will stay. I have managed to stay at my current weight for around 4 months now, however I do go up and down by a kg depending on what I eat and also depending on that time of the month. Good luck and keep us informed.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Food allergies can cause a lot of discomfort and diarrhea too. I was diagnosed with allergy to wheat dairy and eggs. I don't avoid it totally but do mostly. Nuts give me discomfort and diarrhea.

I had the skin removal surgery last April. That was an odyssey! My incision failed and I had a gaping hole in my tummy that had to heal open from inside out. It is so nice though to not have the hanging belly and side boobs. (Had a upside down T incision on my abdomen and my arms from elbow to the side bra line area.) So several months of inactivity while healing. And where he repaired and tighten stomach muscle, the extra weight puts pressure behind that. I'm glad I did it and thought it would insure my keeping weight off and feeling better about myself. And it has, but just the past few months a few bites of carbs have set off the ugly pattern again. One leads to more and I need to go back to a Keto type diet. I will conquer this. I did a 5 week class of Self Love health coaching giving me a lot of tools and journaling ideas. I will talk to the doctor about it tomorrow too.

Let us know what you find out, if and when you do, Juanita. Inquiring minds want to know.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi twodogfox, I am thinking of having the tummy skin removal, but as I am self paying for everything its a bit difficult for me. Was it a very painful opertaion and how long is recovery?

Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

I can't say it wasn't painful and I needed help, especially due to the extensive surgery I had. I live alone and a retired nurse friend came and stayed the first week with me. I rented a power lift recliner for the month but only needed it for the first couple of weeks. I slept in it. I had to pay out of pocket as well. What I did per a friends referral and recommendation was get a no interest for 18 months American Express card which also gives back points for how much you spend and can be used through Amazon. I make monthly payments but my financial person had me pay off half this summer and he wants me to pay the rest off after the new year. ($15000) If you let it go beyond the free interest period its expensive. Its a better deal than those Care Credit Cards I think. If you only have the tummy done it will be quite a bit less than this. The doctor decided on my approval to do the extended Fleur de lis incision for a better look. The risk of a T intersection though, corners can let loose easier than a straight incision. It did bring in my rib cage midriff area though. I can lay on my side with no hang over! ha ha. I don't mean to scare you off of it but be informed. Google a lot of others experiences. Its not fun but I still don't regret doing it. Its more incision than our Sleeve surgeries for sure. They do lipo while in there and also like I said tighten the stomach muscles like a corset, kind of. Find a good plastic surgeon, hopefully within your area for all the follow ups and get a consult. Find out what they think and recommend. Mine was very informative and warned of all the possible complications. But they were at my beck and call whenever I needed them. All the follow up was included. I did also buy a policy for possible complication that would include extra hospital time, which I didn't need. It was like buying travel insurance. One time fee. If you have any questions, ask away. Nice hearing from you guys again after this journey. And it is one, not a one and done.
    Recovery time. Depends on what you have done. Since mine was so extensive, I couldn't drive for 2-3 weeks. I couldn't work out or get in pools or lakes until I was totally healed closed with non scabbing. If you work still, give yourself at least 2 weeks if you are in an office job.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply and info. I live in the UK so things are very different here for private medicine. I paid for the sleeve surgery and will do so if i have any other surgery. Luckily I have a connection to a hospital and can get a discount, however it is still expensive. I don't have a huge amount of excess skin, but where my c-section scar is, it forms a kind of apron and over hangs and that what I would like removed. I do no the risk involved and thats what put me off, and my husband being medical, is not keen on me having more surgery. I am hoping to try some non invasive tightening treatment and together with weights hopefully it wont be that bad.