Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Vegetables - some good ideas from the vgs group :)

I needed assistance with finding vegetables -- and as always the group responded.

JANNYAZ – Acorn Squash: I eat acorn squash. I cut it in half then bake or microwave it. While it's cooking I mix together the juice of half an orange, a teaspoon of Stevia brown sugar and 1/2 TB of butter and warm it up to pour onto the cooked squash. Quite tasty and relatively guilt free.

JERZEYGIRL -Spaghetti Squash: I love spaghetti squash, baked with little pepper and olive oil; take out the strands and put sauce and/or meat sauce.

Acorn Squash: Acorn squash is great cooked in the oven, dig out the squash inners, and then stuff w/chicken sausage, cranberries (lower sugar), toasted nuts and then some cheese to melt while you're rebaking it. I love Janny's recipe for the acorn squash.

One Meal Vegies: I tend to like the one meal veggie ideas, fiber, and protein all in one.

Misc Good Vegetables: I also like cucumbers w/some yogurt dip, roasted veggies including fennel, carrots, broccoli, and sometimes asparagus tossed w/little olive oil and seasonings, placed on cookie sheet w/parchment paper and roasted until brown and little crispy; sometimes if I'm feeling daring, I add a little grated cheese and let that crisp up.

KATRINA: Squash: I've been on a squash kick big time. Roasted butternut squash with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, butternut squash soup, roasted and salted squash seeds, squash casserole. Give me all the squash!

KIWIGAL: I find some veges easier than others to eat. Hints to Help:

Cauliflower is better than broccoli. Green beans are fine. Cabbage is great. It's getting into Summer here so my favourite asparagus is in season. I eat loads of that...well, when I say loads, I can usually manage about 3 spears after eating my protein. I try to snack on veg during the day to up my intake as I know I am not getting enough either. I have carrot and celery sticks for morning tea. I use a vege peeler to take off the stringy bits of the celery as my stomach doesn't like them anymore. I have cucumber and tomatoes with my lunch.
    Zucchini are good, leeks are ok. I like pumpkin but try not to have this too much as it is high carb like potatoes and Kumara (NZ's version of sweet potato - only better :-)).
    Frozen veg in Winter is just as good as fresh as the nutrients are locked in with the blast freezing. I always add lots to any casseroles or stews/soups that I make.

Pozole.docVenison w Portobello Guinness Gravy in crockpot.docRED BEANS & RICE.docButternut Squash Soup.doc
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Vegetables - some good ideas from the vgs group :)

I do love fresh veggies, just takes preparation. I typically keep them in water in the fridge to keep them crisp. Then a good dip is the 0 FAGE greek yogurt with some of the dry hidden valley ranch dressing mixed in. 0 points on Weight Watchers!

My favorite veggie is Brussel sprouts. Best recipe (of many) is with Franks hot sauce, glazed pecans, and blue cheese. First sauté the pecans in a little butter, then sauté the Brussel sprouts in a little olive oil. Just before ready add the blue cheese and hot sauce. Go light on the hot sauce because you can always add more. Or bacon too! OK, totally not a WW recipe but oh so good. The vegges and hot sauce are 0 points.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Fresh veggies are plentiful in Summer/Fall but right now I use lots of organic frozen, easy and wont get forgotten in the fridge (when I'm at work veggies are not used...too much cooking....they only cut tomatoes and eat romaine or arugula because it's already ready to eat!).

Frozen organic peas cook in 7 minutes in the microwave with a little olive oil, garlic granules, pepper and soy sauce.
    Organic frozen mashed carrots cook in 8 minutes, and when it's almost cooked I add crème fraîche (sour cream is fine too) and lots of cumin. Start with a TS if you are not sure...my kids love it..

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=sraebaer;612230]I do love fresh veggies, just takes preparation. I typically keep them in water in the fridge to keep them crisp. Then a good dip is the 0 FAGE greek yogurt with some of the dry hidden valley ranch dressing mixed in. 0 points on Weight Watchers!

My favorite veggie is Brussel sprouts. Best recipe (of many) is with Franks hot sauce, glazed pecans, and blue cheese. First sauté the pecans in a little butter, then sauté the Brussel sprouts in a little olive oil. Just before ready add the blue cheese and hot sauce. Go light on the hot sauce because you can always add more. Or bacon too! OK, totally not a WW recipe but oh so good. The vegges and hot sauce are 0 points.

Thank you!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Fresh veggies are plentiful in Summer/Fall but right now I use lots of organic frozen, easy and wont get forgotten in the fridge (when I'm at work veggies are not used...too much cooking....they only cut tomatoes and eat romaine or arugula because it's already ready to eat!).

Frozen organic peas cook in 7 minutes in the microwave with a little olive oil, garlic granules, pepper and soy sauce.
    Organic frozen mashed carrots cook in 8 minutes, and when it's almost cooked I add crème fraîche (sour cream is fine too) and lots of cumin. Start with a TS if you are not sure...my kids love it..
    Our freezer is in perpetual use -- I make ahead and freeze in meals that work for 2 servings for Jim, small one (or two) for me. And those things have vegetables in it. In the South, we do get a lot of winter vegetables, but things like collards, collard and turnip greens, turnips, okra (ew)...

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents