02/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guske
    Last Activity
    04-03-2013 05:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Default Help! Just got back from pre-op tests.

My surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday the 19th. I just got home from my pre-op tests and I was so close to calling off my surgery because I had a really bad vomitting reaction to the baking soda crystals they made me take before the barium swallow. As a result, the barium swallow was pretty traumatic too, but I think that was because of the crystals, and not the actual barium.

Has anyone had a similar reaction? Do you know if they will try to make me take the crystals again after surgery, because I can't do it knowing what it does to me. I think I can do the barium without the crystals. They finally managed to get a few swallows in me after having me lay on my side and suck through a straw. I know straws aren't allowed after surgery but if I can't swallow it normally... The radiologist/doctor said I might've been really dehydrated because they mistakenly told me I couldn't drink water for 12 hours and it was really only 8.

I know this might be a small thing compared to the pain and nausea I MIGHT experience after surgery, but I feel like ignorance is bliss, I don't know what to expect with that, and I will cross that bridge if I come to it. This crystal/barium thing, however, I've crossed that bridge and I know I don't want to cross it again. I can't imagine that violence and trauma on my new itty bitty stomach along with all the other ugly details like panic and choking and not breathing.

So, help! Tips on taking barium? Anyone had to do this crystal thing? I'd never heard of it until today.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! Just got back from pre-op tests.

Wow, I've had a lot of barium in my life (childhood stomach stuff to today) and never had baking soda crystals, ever.
    I sincerely doubt they will give you those post surgery and the leak test is usually a blue dye or a tiny bit of watered down barium.
    I did get nauseous afterward and it wasn't fun but all in all it's just part of this thing and they do it for your safety.
    Some docs do a leak test during surgery while you are still under and some the next day and some both.
    The one while you are under I believe involves air, but I am not certain. Mine did both.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lookitsabird's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Jinnie Bruce,MD
    Last Activity
    01-22-2015 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

I have been a nurse forever, and have never heard of anything like this. I have no idea, unless it is something brand new. I didn't have much nausea after the surgery, but had meds the whole time to prevent it.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    James
    Surgery date
    12/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-20-2014 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,543 Times
    Blog Entries

I had nothing at all prior to the surgery other than a EDG (Upper GI). Post Op I did have a barium leak test and it was not too bad at all. Would not go out of my way to have another but it was very tolerable
    In HIM all can be,

James
    www.jamesknox.net
    "Change is the only thing in life that is guaranteed. So I choose to embrace this change!"
    Friend me on 'My Fitness Pal'

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

You could ask you surgeon as they all have different ways. Mine did all the leak testing while I was still under. He said he actually did 3 separate tests. He does them all before removing the camera and instruments because it is so much easier to fix sooner rather than later. It depends on your doctor. My doctor is really young and uses all the newer techniques like robotics. But I'm not saying newer is better, just saying I had a really easy time.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guske
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Thanks everyone! After I got home I felt fine, but I got sick again. It feels like there's something stuck in my chest, my throat is burning and I have stomach cramps. I called my surgeon's office,left two messages, finally spoke to someone who said they would get my message to the physician's assistant. I feel like I'm bothering them, I don't know what they can do about it, but I'm scared I'm allergic to those crystals and I want a guarantee they won't use them on me again. Also, is it stupid I need some reassurance from my surgeon? At this point, feeling like this, I ... Actually, I'm not even going to say it. I'm going to see if I feel better after a nap.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't let it affect your decision. Whatever discomfort you're having now is temporary, but this surgery will change your life forever.

Surgery date
    01/10/2013
    Last Activity
    12-18-2013 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Whoa- crystals? Weird! Like the others have said, the barium swallow test was no biggie. It was cool seeing your stomach fill up with barium on the x-ray.
    I'm not flashing a pseudo-gang sign. I'm pointing at my awesome Picture Me Broken shirt..

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cynthia
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 02:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 615 Times

Ditto!!!!! Don't let this affect your surgery!!!! It's done it's over!!!!! And as someone else said this surgery is going to change your life Forever!!!!! Good luck on your journey!!!!! You know you want to look Better, feel better BUT most importantly be A HEALTHIER you!!!! Keep us posted!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member teresaloves2trvl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Snyder
    Last Activity
    01-03-2016 04:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a swallow test in my surgeon's office after I got out of the hospital. It was no biggie and no crystals. I wonder what the purpose of the crystals was? I did have MAJOR issues with the nasty crap they tried to get me to drink for the upper GI they wanted when I had nausea and vomiting issues. It was some clear thick liquid that was sickeningly sweet. I just couldn't get it down and they cancelled the test. The pre-op EGD was the easiest thing because I was asleep and unaware or at least I don't recall a thing about it.

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    11/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Neale
    Last Activity
    11-24-2017 08:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 56 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times

I'm curious, why did they do this test BEFORE your surgery? I only had it afterward.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Wohlgemuth
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 11:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had 3 Upper GI studies over my life before the sleeve and never was given anything but barium. They did give me the alka-seltzer crystals for the UGI before the sleeve and it wasn't pleasant but it didn't make me throw up. The purpose was to put a lot of gas/air in the area and see if you had anything anatomically wrong or had any reflux. They did not use the crystals during the post-op leak test. They use something called gastrographin which is like barium. I have also been in the medical field for almost 20 years and never heard of the crystals being used with the UGI until the day they gave them to me.

Gastric Sleeve Member pieganjane's Avatar
    Name
    Jane S.
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

I too never heard about crystals, but I had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy before the procedure instead of a barium swallow. I did have barium right after surgery to test for a leak but no crystals just a gloppy milk shake like drink.

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

I had some trouble with the barrium Upper GI and I had the crystals as well. I did not fare well either, threw up in the parking lot of the hospital after having it done and had the runs for the rest of the day. Don't let it deter you tho. They did find a hiatal hernia which they were able to repair at the time of the surgery sleeve.

I too was almost freaked out about having to do that again AFTER surgery, however it was completely different and only took a couple sips of the barrium liquid and it was fine. The leak test is very important tho and you want them to do it. My doc did while I was still in surgery and then did the GI one the next morning before I was allowed anything to drink.

You will be fine, this is temporary, you got this.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guske
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Thank you, you guys. You have been so much more helpful and reassuring than the actual surgeon's office who were very uncaring and like, "what do you want us to do?" THEN they called me back and they say that the hospital did the wrong tests for my pre-op blood work and I have to do it again, fasting included, on Monday. The hospital says they did everything right, and then everything closed up because it was 5 on a Friday. I'm freaking out! If I fast for blood work on Sunday for Monday blood work, that bleeds into when I'm supposed to fast for actual surgery. Can I really go on a 36 hour fast?!

Its_Me, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I can't tell you how much better it made me feel that I wasn't the only one it happened to. And JUSTJEAN, if I only have to take a couple of sips AFTER surgery and no crystals, I think I can do that. And everyone who said this sickness is just temporary and the surgery is lifetime, THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! I really needed to hear that. If only my surgeon's office had said that I wouldn't be hating them right now. DebCan, I was told my surgeon needed the upper GI as a sort of road map, and the crystals were to put air in and create space in my insides.