Surgeon
    Dahman
    Last Activity
    12-15-2019 03:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hoping for a new and healthy lifestyle...soon

Hello! My name is Jill and I am due to have the LSG surgery on December 16, 2019. I am starting to get a little nervous about the pre-op diet and figured it was time to join a forum to hopefully help with my jitters. A little bit about me:

Age 40
    Height 5' 9"
    Highest Weight 265
    Today's weight 259
    Goal weight 150

I have 4 children, 3 boys in their teens and 1 baby girl who is currently 3 1/2 yrs old (Ooops). My weight got much worse after my pregnancy with this little blessing. I look forward to having a healthy lifestyle after surgery and a change in lifestyle...a big one at that. Since having my last child (yes, I can no longer have anymore...also a blessing lol) I have developed HBP, moderate sleep apnea, GERD, and spinal issues (lumbar). I also have osteoarthritis in my knees, bursitis in both hips, and neuropathy in both feet. I am married to a wonderful man who supports me fully in my decision to take this step towards being healthy and more fit. Right now, I couldn't ask for more than his support on my journey.

Some things I am looking forward to hearing about is...

- How long do most have to take off work
    - How long was your hospital stay
    - How did you do with the pre-op diet
    - How bad is the pain when up and moving
    - And always, great recipes for life to come after LSG

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to getting to know more about everyone and their journey thus far.

2. The following 8 users said welcome momma_with_a_mission to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Default Re: Hoping for a new and healthy lifestyle...soon

Welcome Momma!
    I think my biggest recommendation would be to make sure that your husband and your boys know that they need to be taking care of themselves and your little girl for a while. You'll need to focus on you!
    - How long do most have to take off work - N/A as I'm retired. However, I'd recommend two weeks because I was really tired and slept a lot during that period.
    - How long was your hospital stay - one night
    - How did you do with the pre-op diet - For two weeks I had protein drinks for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was a small (like 4oz max) serving of protein and some green vegetables.
    - How bad is the pain when up and moving - I didn't need any prescription pain meds (even while in the hospital). I used liquid Tylenol for the first 3 or 4 days then was fine. I think most of my pain (in my back and shoulders) was from a hiatal hernia that was repaired.
    Recipes? Learn to love beans.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

- How long do most have to take off work? 2 weeks. I was a teacher at the time.
    - How long was your hospital stay? 1 night
    - How did you do with the pre-op diet? Mine was only 5 days, no problem. Just boring.
    - How bad is the pain when up and moving?. My only bad pain was waking up from surgery. Other than that it was minimal. I think I only took my pain meds for a few days. I has some soreness for about a week, but no biggie.
    - And always, great recipes for life to come after LSG? No specific recipes, just follow the rules of protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room. Don't drink with meals. Take your vitamins. Exercise. You won't be hungry so it won't be any problem to eat how you should. Just be sure to get in your minimum protein and liquids. Keep a journal. Take teeny tiny sips. No excuses.

Best of luck to you!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/07/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Foote
    Last Activity
    01-12-2020 03:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I took off a week and a half. Surgery was Thursday, I was back the next Monday.
    I stayed one night, wish I stayed two.
    I had two days of liquids and it wasn't bad at all.
    My pain was not fun. I had a hernia repair done at the same time.
    I wasn't given any narcotics. I woke up with Tylenol in my IV. I did just fine until I started to move around more, then I really needed the Tylenol.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Jill and congrats on making this life changing decision.

Fantastic that you have a supporting husband. :-)

How long do most have to take off work - I took 2 weeks. I have a desk job and this was just right for me.
    - How long was your hospital stay - 2 nights
    - How did you do with the pre-op diet - fine. It was probably the worst part of the whole process but even then it wasn't that bad. Keep focused on the end result. I was allowed 3 Opti Fast items a day and 1 cup of green vegetables.
    - How bad is the pain when up and moving - Not bad. Uncomfortable but not painful. I took the pain relief offered while in hospital but didn't need anything once I was home. Just felt like I had done 1000 sit ups! I also had a hernia repair.
    - And always, great recipes for life to come after LSG - Stick to the instructions your surgeon gives you. Later on if you are looking for inspiration there are loads of websites that you can access for great recipes. The World According to Egg Face, Bariatric Cookery are just a couple. It wasn't long before I was eating "normal" food - just smaller quantities and always protein first!

Good luck with your surgery. It's such a great thing to do for yourself - and your family.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/16/2019
    Surgeon
    Dahman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

I work from home for an insurance company. Do you think I still need to take 2 weeks? My boys will be in school the first week but will be on Christmas break the 2nd week. Of course I can’t work if sleeping but I planned to only take a week. Thanks for the info.

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would say 2 weeks if at all possible. And get some help with the kids that second week If you can. It would just put you off to a really good start. But do what you have to do. What does your doctor recommend?

Personally, I spend the first week sleeping and the second week relaxing, doing a little shopping, etc.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/16/2019
    Surgeon
    Dahman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Dr. Dahman says it all depends on what type of work you do and if it is physically demanding, lol, mine is definitely not physically demanding.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by momma_with_a_mission View Post
    Dr. Dahman says it all depends on what type of work you do and if it is physically demanding, lol, mine is definitely not physically demanding.
    I found even with complications, since I was also working from home at the time, the first SEVEN days were pretty much sleeping & sipping and walking and protein goals. But after that, except for lifting heavy things I felt pretty competent to start in on regular things.

- How long do most have to take off work SEE above
    - How long was your hospital stay TWO days, but I had a minor complication with blood transfusion
    - How did you do with the pre-op diet STRICTLY followed I figured as self-pay, if I couldn't do that, I shouldn't spend the money
    - How bad is the pain when up and moving NOT bad at all -- not even tylenol after the first day LOTS of walking for gas, but no different than having kids
    - And always, great recipes for life to come after LSG

I'm with sraebaer -- I cook per usual but am more conscious of making all my cooking more healthy for everyone. I "pick out" the protein if I make something combined and then eat the vegetables. The complex carbs, and then if I am still hungry -- NEVER.

That is not to say I don't eat "treats". Just moderately.

THINGS I DON'T EAT: I don't like anything lemon flavored any more -- I get nauseous. I don't eat hot dogs (the idea makes me ill); I don't eat more than one slice of thin-crust pizza at a time. I can still eat anything spicy. Some folks get an aversion to things like eggs, chickens, etc. And it does change over the first year.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!