Dr Charles Smith
    Last Activity
    11-20-2019 06:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Just joined - surgery 5 years ago

Hello!
    Just saying hello. I joined the forum today. I am a great advocate for GSV surgery and feel it is a great tool for changing your life for the better. It can do wonders for those who utilize it correctly. I am 5 years post op. I lost about 80% of my weight very quickly, within a few months even, and stayed there for about 2-3 years. Then I decided I wanted to lose the rest of the weight which I did over a period of about 3-4 months. That was 2 years ago, and I have kept that weight off. Overall I lost a total of 90 lbs, from 208 to 118. I am 5foot 1 inch, so on me 208 was pretty big. I am now experiencing some delayed problems with my stomach, I have a bad hernia and severe GERD and pain, nausea and vomiting which is becoming debilitating. My bariatric team is telling me that I am very likely facing a revision to a bypass and possibly a feeding tube if I lose too much weight in the recovery process which is a very scary prospect for me to face right now. I am trying to take it all in, the thought of a bypass actually scares me to death, I always said I never wanted a bypass, I was very happy with my sleeve and the thought of a bypass scared me to death, but here I am. I can't live with this pain and nausea, the quality of my life is just too poor to maintain over a long period. I have to have a solution. If that is the solution, I will have to accept it. I still do not regret the choice for the GSV - despite all that I have gone through - I am still happier with the weight off, my health and happiness, my self esteem restored and happiness in my marriage is better since the sleeve. I am very open about my sleeve and do not conceal the fact that I have it done. I am proud and will tell anyone who asks. I am glad to join this forum and feel like a "veteran" at 5 years post op. I've seen it all. I look forward to reading the posts for both pre and post op community members. It is a great journey that can be very positive with many supportive people. Namaste!

2. The following 7 users said welcome AshleyinTX to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Just joined - surgery 5 years ago

Sorry you're having issues, and odd that you were fine for years. I have heard of some people here who have had to do exactly what your doctor is recommending for the exact reasons. Best of luck to you!