Surgeon
    Dr. Griffin
    Last Activity
    12-16-2019 09:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New to the forum.

Hello. I am having Sleve surgery in 10 days. I am in Silver Springs, Fl. I feel very fortunate to have a great surgeon, Dr Griffin in Ocala Fl. I started the process in September and I completed all of the requirements in less than 3 months. The program is very comprehensive and I am ready although apprehensive about the surgery. If anyone could share what to expect the first week. I want the true picture so that I am not surprised.

2. The following 9 users said welcome Carolina Pilgrim to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: New to the forum.

Week one?

Be sure someone is around to take care of everyone in your home so you can just worry about yourself.

Rest. You will be sleeping a lot, especially that first week. I slept in a recliner because my bed was a little high to climb into.

Keep a journal so you are sure to get in your minimum protein and liquids. Remember protein shakes/drinks count toward both. You will have to sip tiny sips basically every waking moment.

Walk a little, even if it's just around your house. If you're up to it, maybe try to walk around the block. See how you feel, if you're not up to it, wait until you are.

I had to have a blood thinner shot every day that first week. (I actually don't remember, maybe 10 days of shots?). I had my husband do it because I couldn't.

Be sure to be ready with your chewable vitamins, whatever your doctor prescribes.

Time to get excited! You are on your way to a whole new life. Best of luck to you.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Sraebaer has pretty much covered it above.

I had 2 nights in hospital where I took the pain relief that was offered. Once home I didn't need to take anything - BUT if you feel that you need something please take what has been prescribed as that is what it is for.
    Sleep, sip water every waking hour, walk as often and as far as you can. Take the time to get to grips with your new way of eating (such that it is the first few weeks!).
    I took 2 weeks off work and was good to go back after that. I have a desk job so nothing strenuous. I was still tired at the end of the day and didn't feel like doing much when I got home.
    I wasn't allowed to take vitamins until week three and the chewable ones that I have bought made me feel nauseous - so maybe don't buy to large a quantity until you have tried them. In fact somethings can taste a little different after surgery so don't buy too much of anything until you see how it sits with you.
    Above all be kind to yourself. You will have just had major surgery so don't expect too much too soon :-)

For later on keep one item of clothing for comparison as you shrink. It's fascinating when you can't see the weight loss so much yourself to compare how far you have come. Take photos before surgery (I know, who wants to do that but you will be pleased that you did and no-one else needs to see them) and then monthly or however often you want. I did them in 10 kg increments. Amazing to look back on. When buying clothes to replace those that are now too big, buy small quantities and cheaply. You will be surprised how quickly you will move through the sizes. My local charity shop did very well out of my donations for a good year.

This is such an exciting time. I wish you all the best.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

What's been posted is spot on. I had a minor complication requiring a 2nd surgery & blood transfusions. Even with that, I was able to go home the 2nd day, and didn't need pain relievers. I did REST, WALK, SIP and do PROTEIN. But it wasn't a bad experience at all.

That said, BEST decision I ever made.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    11/21/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anthony Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    11-28-2019 11:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi! Just writing to say best of luck. I am new too

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/12/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Morales
    Last Activity
    04-27-2020 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Carolina, I am so jealous of you and Congratulations and Best of Luck with your surgery. You went through all the insurance requirements pretty fast. I am hopeing that I will have surgery by the end of January.
    Bonnie