Dr. Beltre
    Last Activity
    01-31-2021 05:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I think Im doing well?

Feel free to chime in on your thoughts. I would love to get opinions. Just be nice. 😉

It has been one year and 1 month.
    Im 5 foot 5 inches
    Im 148lbs from 258lbs
    I seem to have stalled here at this #.
    I work out 3 times a week with a trainer who, with nothing but tough love, kicks my butt! Lol
    I can tell I am getting stronger.
    I can tell the cloths fit looser.
    I can tell the old habits of eating are creeping back and I loose at least one eating battle a day.
    Guilt is there. For eating. For the # on the scale. For not focusing on the positives like I clearly know I should be.
    Using this platform as a way to hold myself accountable.
    Have a head cold for the first time and afraid to take any sort of medication to help breathe.
    Wondering why I can't drive myself like my trainer drives me.
    Wondering if the struggle is this real for others mentally.
    Just hang in there is a phrase that worked in the beginning but not sure if its relevant now.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I think Im doing well?

Now, the real work begins. Maintenance is not for the faint of heart. This is the message that us "old timers" continue to preach whenever we can. We have to hold ourselves accountable, or find something or someone who can do it. I went back to Weight Watchers when the old habits came back. I can't say that I am 100%, but I am doing a lot better. The journey never ends. You have to find something that will continue to give you a swift kick whenever you need it. You've been successful thus far, keep at it!

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sounds like you're doing great! (And who wouldn't be nice??)

Kenson is right, maintenance is not easy. I'm 6 years out and old habits are still in my head. It's daily work. But it's worth it!! We're all in this together.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    02-07-2024 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Good job on your weight loss. 100 lbs is fantastic. A couple observations or suggestions. I was an athlete my whole life. I also lost 100 lbs. 307-207. I lost a lot of strength. I contracted a personal trainer at 6 months out and started to regain strength. I am an avid golfer and it took well over a year to be able to play well again. Remember muscle will burn a lot of calories. Getting stronger is great but burning those calories by working out on a regular basis is "insurance" from regaining weight. I am an old gym rat and always worked harder with a training partner. Now I use a personal trainer. It is human nature to take a path of least resistance when working out. A training partner or trainer adds a little needed motivation. Maybe a group class.

With regards to old eating habits remember a lot of diet success begins on your shopping trips. If you don't buy it its not available to you at home. Make a shopping list. All of us on this forum have some kind of eating disorder including guilt when we slip up. This process is an ongoing "BATTLE" and will be for the rest of our life. The sleeve is a great tool to win this battle. You took a huge step for yourself to give you back a better quality of life. BUT you have to work it or as I say attack the problem. Diet, walking, training, fluids and support all help. WIN THE BATTLE! You can do it. Your worth it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pheeel21 View Post
    Good job on your weight loss. 100 lbs is fantastic. A couple observations or suggestions. I was an athlete my whole life. I also lost 100 lbs. 307-207. I lost a lot of strength. I contracted a personal trainer at 6 months out and started to regain strength. I am an avid golfer and it took well over a year to be able to play well again. Remember muscle will burn a lot of calories. Getting stronger is great but burning those calories by working out on a regular basis is "insurance" from regaining weight. I am an old gym rat and always worked harder with a training partner. Now I use a personal trainer. It is human nature to take a path of least resistance when working out. A training partner or trainer adds a little needed motivation. Maybe a group class.

With regards to old eating habits remember a lot of diet success begins on your shopping trips. If you don't buy it its not available to you at home. Make a shopping list. All of us on this forum have some kind of eating disorder including guilt when we slip up. This process is an ongoing "BATTLE" and will be for the rest of our life. The sleeve is a great tool to win this battle. You took a huge step for yourself to give you back a better quality of life. BUT you have to work it or as I say attack the problem. Diet, walking, training, fluids and support all help. WIN THE BATTLE! You can do it. Your worth it.
    Hi Pheeel21 - I have a question regarding working with a trainer. I'm also a golfer as well as walk on days I don't golf, but have never been a gym rat. This week I set up an appointment with a personal trainer (for tomorrow). Can you give me any advice about what to ask/discuss? Also, how often and what duration (30 or 60 minutes) would you recommend I meet with them? Feel free to PM me about this. Thanks for any help you can give. - Jan

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ccarter9889's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Beltre
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for feedback. The honeymoon phase seems to be over. It's good to know my guilt and general feelings are "normal" and there is a path to follow. You're a blessing.

Gastric Sleeve Member Ccarter9889's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Beltre
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your kind words (you would be surprised)

Seems like we all have similar experiences. Thank you for the encouragement!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr Leon Cohen
    Last Activity
    07-18-2021 12:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hi
    Great for your achievements. I'm nearly 10 years out and the struggle to keep on track never ends - it does get easier though.
    I find what keeps me on track is reaching out and helping others. I have a network of friends that have been through the same journey as us and we meet weekly. Initially it was to exercise but as we are no spring chickens, we meet for coffee and use that to catch up.
    Don't forget that our weight gain didn't happen over night and losing the weight doesn't happen overnight either. Getting in the right mind space is easier for some and for others it takes more effort. Think of all the positives and set your goals.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I LOVED when I had a personal trainer. (He quit, I guess he wasn't making enough $$). All I had to do was tell him any physical limitations I had and he went from there. Yours will know what to do. I need to find one again, I'm super into aerobic exercising, but not so much into weight training. I will probably need shoulder surgery soon, but there are still a whole lot of body parts we could work on.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ccarter9889 View Post
    Thank you for your kind words (you would be surprised)

Seems like we all have similar experiences. Thank you for the encouragement!
    Oh gosh! You've done fabulously! I am NOT an avid exerciser, more due to some older person health issues, but I do get guilty if I stray. BUT it gets less as you realize you are human and fallible, but NOW you have the tool of VGS to get right back on. So I've probably gained and lost the same 4 lbs frequesntly in my 2nd year. It's okay.

Just continue being honest withourself as to what your eating (I still track) and how much your moving. The same protein/vegetable duo first will always get the pounds off. And drink your water & get enough sleep
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

You are doing just fine. :-)
    Maintenance is a work in progress for the rest of our lives. You have to find what works for you.
    I have no interest in the gym but I walk most days and take yoga classes twice a week which I love.
    Perhaps some professional help might be in order to get your head around the "I can tell the old habits of eating are creeping back and I loose at least one eating battle a day". In my opinion guilt doesn't help at all - it only compounds to make things worse - but it's very hard to get out of your head!
    As Annie said be truthful to yourself. You know what to do and you have a great tool to help you. Most importantly remember that we are all human :-)