Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Weight regain 2 years post op

Good Morning,
    I am 2 years post op, and had lost a total of 85lbs. Unfortunately, I have regained 30lbs..... I attribute some of the regain to prednisone, but most is from stress, and poor eating habits. I admit, the last few months, I have stopped eating protein, and veggies first, and have eaten more carbs, and comfort foods.
    Last night, I made the decision to go back to Weight Watchers, and regain control of my eating habits. I need the support and accountability. It was such a hard decision to make, because I feel like I have failed with my WLS.
    Has this happened to anyone else? How did you regain control of your eating habits, and were you able to lose the weight again? I want to hit my goal, but I feel like it is almost impossible.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weight regain 2 years post op

llakim,
    Welcome to the club! I regained about 20 pounds and in April, I rejoined Weight Watchers. I felt like a failure as well, but had to admit that I started letting old habits back in my life. Sharon (sraebaer went back to WW), and that inspired me to rejoin as well. I made it back to goal in no time. What I needed, and it sounds like you do too, is the accountability. You've done it before and you can do it again!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    llakim,
    Welcome to the club! I regained about 20 pounds and in April, I rejoined Weight Watchers. I felt like a failure as well, but had to admit that I started letting old habits back in my life. Sharon (sraebaer went back to WW), and that inspired me to rejoin as well. I made it back to goal in no time. What I needed, and it sounds like you do too, is the accountability. You've done it before and you can do it again!
    Thank you for your encouragement, and support. I agree the accountability is what I need right now. Success stories like yours, keep me going, and keep me inspired. Thanks for sharing.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilakim View Post
    Thank you for your encouragement, and support. I agree the accountability is what I need right now. Success stories like yours, keep me going, and keep me inspired. Thanks for sharing.
    Well I regained some as well, for the same reasons - prednisone, and then health issues = stress eating. BUT I got back on track with great encouragement from Kenyon, sraebaer, Ann2, etc. I tried WW, which was easy-peasy, but allowed me to feel a bit too smug with points. So went back to the MyPlate, which keeps me most honest about the quality and quantity of carbs. My point is, there is a way out there, and regain is a learning experience, not a failure, as long as you are accountable, and go back on track.

It didn't take me too long to get back to goal, about 4 weeks. But I did not increase activity do to other health stuff going on. HOWEVER, back on prednisone this week -- AAGH! But no stress eating

Please let us know how you're doing!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Annie! I have been reading through posts and did see that sraebear did WW, and that encouraged me to start. I will check out Myplate as well, it’s always nice to learn about new things. I thought that it would be so easy after my sleeve, but that is so far from the truth. You really need to put forth the effort and use your tool correctly!
    Sorry to hear that you are on prednisone again, I hope you feel better soon. I will keep you posted on my progress. Last night, instead of snacking, I just went to bed

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilakim View Post
    I thought that it would be so easy after my sleeve, but that is so far from the truth. You really need to put forth the effort and use your tool correctly!
    It's so funny, but the sleeve almost makes you (me) feel complacent. You're losing weight almost effortlessly, and then WHAM, the weight loss stops and you then have to put in "the work." We forget when our doctor's tell us that the sleeve is just "a tool." Maintenance is just a totally different ballgame and we're all just trying to maneuver our lives post surgery. I think it will always be a learning curve and reset for all of us.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree, it is definitely a learning curve, especially as time goes by. I keep trying to share my journey with everyone who is considering getting the surgery. My mottos is..... "the more you know, the more successful you will be!"
    I am on day two of WW, and sticking to my program I am also trying to get some of my coworkers to join with me as well.

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

The secret it to find out what works for you. You have not failed with WLS, you have just realized that it is only part of the equation. For me losing was so easy, the weight just fell off. Then without much work at all I stayed at goal for maybe 3 years. But after that, I started to gain. My secret is to weigh daily. My highest gain was 5 pounds. (Much better than 10, 20, etc!) Now I'm working on 2 stupid pounds over my new goal of 130. You would think 2 pounds would be easy, but it's not. But all my clothes still fit, in fact lots of stuff is loose seeing I changed my goal from 140 to 130, so I should be positive! And I do love WW, just the accountability of weighing and writing it in a book helps. Not to mention I've made a lot of new friends, love my group. But like I said, what works for me may be something totally different for you. Good luck!!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you. I read several of your posts, and that is what inspired me to go to WW. I think with the new WW program, and all the options, it will be perfect for my lifestyle. And making new friends is just an added bonus! Good luck with your last few pounds.... I will keep you posted on my progress. The accountability keeps me motivated.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. R.
    Last Activity
    06-12-2020 09:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

How's your progress? Did you lose the regain? I've regained about 30-35 myself

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

I’m so sorry to hear you are going through this. I myself have regained 70 so I know how hopeless it feels. I just posted what my nutritionist told about how your resting metabolic rate can contribute regain happening so easily. if you want to check it out, please read “I wish someone would have told me this 6 freakin years ago” and maybe it will help you gain insight in what might also be going on with your body if it’s applicable. You may already know it, unlike I did.

Good luck with WW. It’s never easy but you can do it!!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. R.
    Last Activity
    06-12-2020 09:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Did you lose the 70 again? Or still kept it on? I'm on the fast track back to that

Gastric Sleeve Member SpringRose's Avatar
    Name
    Spring
    Surgery date
    12/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bender
    Last Activity
    09-04-2022 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi,
    Yes, I have experienced the same. Over the last 2 years I have gained 42pds. This has been due to meds for chronic pain, stress from work and grad school, and poor eating due to these things and financial strain. I was 145 then his 152 at 3 years. This was not bad.
    I am currently seeking the same answers as you posted. I find I am more nauseous from eating eggs in the morning vs oatmeal. I also crave sweets less after changing nerve meds. However, I can’t seem to drop under 192.

Have you tried the pouch reset? Some have been successful.
    Sending positive vibes your way.
    Spring

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not lost the weight that I regained, but I have not gained anymore I am still going to the WW meetings, and focusing on healthy eating. I attempted the pouch reset, and honestly the only thing it did for me, was remind me of how I am supposed to eat with my sleeve. I did not feel any change in my restriction. I keep reading posts on this site, surround myself with support, and remain committed to continue on this journey. I keep reminding myself it is life long journey. We can do this!

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I have been maintaining for a little over 2 years, my surgery was Oct 2017, so I guess 2.4 years ago, and it took me 7 months to get to goal. For the longest time, my weight was maintained at 180 lbs, it took very little effort for it it to happen. I just ate until I was full and focused on protein and veggies; but I also didn't limit myself to treats. I think I ate 1600 calories per day or so. And for the last 3 months, I have been fighting with 3 lbs. Seems silly, but it's a pain; and I don't want it to go past that. So I am now at 183 lbs, and I find it hard to lose that weight, (it's been 3 months) so now I'm starting to accept the new normal that my weight is now 183 lbs, but it bothers me that I can't seem to get back to 180 lbs. It's a tough game, it's a lifelong struggle; for my part I weigh myself everyday, but even as it's getting away on me a bit - by those 3 pds, it's hard to pull back. I can track and maintain at 1200 calories a day for awhile, but I just get hungry and complacent because I'm used to 1600 calories, and I tend to want to say 3 lbs is ok. But I'm not sure if it is. At what point to you set the alarms and say enough is enough?