Thread: Uggggh!

Gastric Sleeve Member imtranquility's Avatar
    Last Activity
    04-09-2020 02:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Uggggh!

I have been thru the lengthy baratric surgery program thru Cleveland Clinic. My surgeon due to do my surgery after my first meeting with him left the clinic. After another three month wait for Appt. I saw new surgeon, he denied my sleeve surgery unless i did other tests for the amount of acid produced in my stomach because i took a measly 20 mg omeprozole med. Why didnt my first surgeon tell me this? He cleared me for surgery.... So now he said i need to do ru n y. I didnt want that more invasive surgery. I have many auto immune diseases fighting each other in which a 50 lb weight loss would help to alleve. Dream has been flushed.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Uggggh!

I'd be happy to have a doctor that won't just operate for the money, that wants to be sure it's right for you. I'm no expert, but some here have had to have their sleeve converted to the bypass because of severe acid reflux issues. (And one surgery would sure be better than two!). Keep researching, and you will find what's best for you. Good luck!!

Maybe some who have had acid reflux will chime in with their information.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I certainly feel your disappointment. I do agree with sraebaer. You don't want to end up with multiple health challenges that you might encounter. There is a very nice person on the board who had the surgery with some other health issues, and her recovery was a bit of a challenge.

Read Kristie7298 thread in the searches, or send her a private message. Betting she has some good advice.

I will also send her an email to let her know there is a question she could help with. She's a sweetheart.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member Kristi7928's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi,

I had the sleeve a year ago September 27th. I have Lupus and Transverse Myelitis. I’m a T1 paraplegic. Both were in total remission. Both still are.

I went through literal hell one month post op until I had emergency back surgery in February. In and out of the hospital undiagnosed, puking constantly, major lung issues and close to a feeding tube. Feel free to read my posts posts or updates from AnnieG. I tried to update her when I could.

Before I ever made an appointment with my surgeon for WLS I made sure it was ok with my rheumatologist. What does your rheumatologist say about it? With auto immune - surgery can trigger a flare. I was prepared for that, but my doc said it would be a good time to do it as I had been in remission so long. He did make me go through an upper and lower endoscopy to see why I was anemic. My WLS surgeon did it. He was in communication with my rheumatologist. My WLS was also the doc that ordered a full body cat scan when all my chest X-rays were coming back clear, but I could not breathe. In a world of hospitalists please make sure your docs communicate.

You are probably not going to like my answer, but I am agreeing with your new surgeon. I’ve never had acid reflux in my life - I battle it constantly now. Every doc has different rules on what can be taken before and after surgery and every surgeon will have different rules for what to eat or drink after surgery, when you can workout after surgery, etc., but like sraebaer said a lot of people who have had sleeve had to have revisions to RNY due to acid reflux. I don’t know if that’s the path I’m going down - I hope not. Scared enough people this past year. I have a narrow esophagus opening to my pouch as well - I can’t imagine the hell I’d be in if it was normal!

If you have questions please feel free to PM me.
    HW: 245.4 SW: 243 CW: 160 GW: 135

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Also read posts from Tamera2. She had serious complications and more than one surgery.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents