Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    01-02-2020 06:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Red face Comfort Food!

Ok. I want to be transparent here. I was really trying to figure out why this surgery was causing me so much anxiety this time around. I had a Hysterectomy just last April and it was a breeze. The hospital staff and my Dr couldn’t believe how well I did and I was back to work just a couple of weeks later.
    But, looking back I had food to comfort me. The minute I woke up from anesthesia I asked for soup
    and for dinner I requested Turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy. (You can order from a menu)
    Talk about comfort food! You are able to order anything you want from the menu anytime of day up to 8pm and I took advantage of that! I’m healing right? I deserve it! My week home consisted of more comfort food. Whatever I wanted.
    I do not eat like this everyday. I do try to make good choices. But what has occurred to me is that comfort will not be there. You guys... I’m so ready to deal with these issues dead on... it’s just the process.
    Did any of you have this? Were you hungry? Were you craving comfort?
    Would love to hear.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Comfort Food!

I would say this: Your head has to be in the game in order for this surgery to work. Using food as a comfort is part of the reason why we all ended up needing the surgery in the first place. Yes, genetics, metabolism, thyroids, etc. all play a factor, but the bottom line is, if you are not mentally prepared, nothing works. Once you start losing weight, and feeling good about yourself and regain confidence, etc., food becomes less of a priority and you place less emphasis on it. In the beginning stages, you're more concerned with your new way of eating. Maintenance is a different ballgame.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

First of all, you won't be hungry after surgery. You won't be hungry for quite a while. But when the weight just starts falling off, you won't be worrying about eating "comfort food.' You will be thrilled with the new you, and want to follow the plan to keep losing. You will reach your goal. Can you even imagine that? Never in my wildest dreams did I think this size 22 person would be wearing an 8 for over 5 years now.

So what's worth more to you? Eating whatever you want or being a healthy, regular sized person? I can tell you choice #2 is absolutely amazing.

Now don't get me wrong, you WILL be able to eat probably all foods after a while. You will just eat less and be totally satisfied. Study up the "rules" of the sleeve, the protein first, then veggies then good carbs if room and decide if you are committed to do it. And realize it is not a magic cure, I have had to work on maintaining my weight since the day I hit goal. It's my new life, but oh so worth it.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Lilswedie's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Yes! What I need to hear. It’s my mind playing tricks. The truth is...I WANT THIS! No comfort food can take the place of good health.
    I’ve been wanting this for so long and now I’m getting anxious. I promise I won’t bore you with every negative thought that crosses my mind, but in this last week this has been very real and I’m so ready to deal with it. This is old habits. I want positive new ones now.

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

The surgery isn't "magic" the head-games we play around food need to be addressed. If you think the comforting pleasure of eating those foods just go away, they don't, get counseling, join a support group, or get a "Sponsor" who you need to be accountable to; but deal with the behaviors centered about the "whys, whens and whats" you choose to eat. Good luck!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon is right!
    In the beginning, you won't be hungry at all--and you will have no desire for food. You will have to remind yourself to eat. They will remove that gherlin gene and you will not experience hunger. By the time that gene comes back, you will be an old pro at the sleeve.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilswedie View Post
    Yes! What I need to hear. It’s my mind playing tricks. The truth is...I WANT THIS! No comfort food can take the place of good health.
    I’ve been wanting this for so long and now I’m getting anxious. I promise I won’t bore you with every negative thought that crosses my mind, but in this last week this has been very real and I’m so ready to deal with it. This is old habits. I want positive new ones now.
    You aren't boring anyone with your thoughts; this is a safe place for questions. Many here are just starting out like you, if not we have been where you are and are happy to help out. You will do great! It is so much fun!

I'm the perfect example of changing my eating. I was fat because I basically lived on carbs. I never binged on anything and I always exercised, but I wasn't eating protein. If you would have told me no meat or fish for the rest of my life, I would have said no problem. But now I concentrate on protein first at every meal. Fish is my favorite, but I eat all meats, eggs, low fat cheese, FAGE yogurt, etc. The change is pretty easy when you see the results. And you will still have some of your comfort food, there is really nothing off limits later on in the game. You figure out how it fits into your new lifestyle. I'm excited for you!

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Sharon is right!
    In the beginning, you won't be hungry at all--and you will have no desire for food. You will have to remind yourself to eat. They will remove that gherlin gene and you will not experience hunger. By the time that gene comes back, you will be an old pro at the sleeve.

Totally off the subject, but Kenson, your new picture is so pretty!!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone above has said it all really.

I did find that I really didn't fancy the junk type food and my body was craving all the things that I needed to eat. Chicken is still a favourite.
    2 years out I can eat almost anything - and that includes ice cream/cookies/sweets/potato chips etc. However a mouthful of this stuff seems to satisfy me so I do indulge occasionally. At the moment it's all ok however if that scale starts to creep up I will need to reassess. I weigh every day so that I can keep a close eye on what is happening.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Totally off the subject, but Kenson, your new picture is so pretty!!
    Awwwwww, thank you!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/26/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Richardson
    Last Activity
    12-16-2019 08:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Oh my gosh this is exactly how I feel. I called it mourning for food and I do not have surgery till the 26th. I would love to have someone to share with.
    Sandie

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilswedie View Post
    New habits are incredible in our change. I did do some pretty solid counseling afterwards, and I journal. And like many of the folks here, I follow and log both food & weight.

Recently, at 2 years out, I have been going through some difficult health challenges. I did indeed do some stress eating of "comfort" foods -- not huge amounts, but enough to gain weight along with the imposed inactivity.

This group is awesome and a friend said to kick myself in the backside and go back to what works. I did, and am back down below goal.

It's all about being honest in your tracking, in your habits, and with yourself. You're human. You will have bobbles and weaves. And then do what works. Use the tool of your sleeve, and get any help and support you need. You deserve a health life!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

21. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    New habits are incredible in our change. I did do some pretty solid counseling afterwards, and I journal. And like many of the folks here, I follow and log both food & weight.

Recently, at 2 years out, I have been going through some difficult health challenges. I did indeed do some stress eating of "comfort" foods -- not huge amounts, but enough to gain weight along with the imposed inactivity.

This group is awesome and a friend said to kick myself in the backside and go back to what works. I did, and am back down below goal.

It's all about being honest in your tracking, in your habits, and with yourself. You're human. You will have bobbles and weaves. And then do what works. Use the tool of your sleeve, and get any help and support you need. You deserve a health life!
    Thank you! I actually took this week off from work to prepare for this. Besides the support and counseling I’m getting from from my physicians office
    I’m spending the time reflecting in prayer. I’m writing things down in a journal too and will continue this.
    These are years of bad habits and I’m ready to break the chains.
    I’m actually feeling better day by day and as much as I dislike having to be on this preop diet I feel it’s good as my cravings are lessening.
    Thank you again for your support!

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiemr View Post
    Oh my gosh this is exactly how I feel. I called it mourning for food and I do not have surgery till the 26th. I would love to have someone to share with.
    Sandie
    Hello Sandie!
    Thank you for being transparent with me! Knowing this will allow us to deal with these emotions. I feel this our first step.
    I would love to hear about your journey.. please keep in touch!

24. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I promise you won't be "mourning for food" Sandie. After surgery food is the last thing on your mind! In fact it's pretty gross. Total miracle.

If you want something, have it before you start your pre-op diet. A few months after surgery there is nothing to mourn about as you will be able to eat all foods, in moderation of course, but you will be totally satisfied. You will have this amazing advantage of being full after just a little bit of food. What could be better?

26. Said thanks: