Surgeon
    Andrew Jenkinson
    Last Activity
    05-19-2022 09:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 1 month update

It’s been one month since I had surgery and here is my experience so far.
    The day of the surgery was much more painful than I would have imagined. I had a lot of cramping.The next two days were uncomfortable and after that it was a breeze. I didn’t use any of the painkillers that were prescribed for home. I only stayed one night at the hospital which was ok, but I think I would have preferred to stay two. I didn’t have any gas pains, but my surgeon also told me he takes the gas out before he finishes off the operation and I also had zero nausea. So I am very lucky to have no serious complications apart from the slight heartburn for which I am taking medication for. My surgeon used a 36 bugee size.
    My doctor wanted me to do 2 days of clear liquids, 1 week of full liquids, 1 week puréed and 1 week of soft foods. Now I can eat practically anything, didn’t come across anything I can’t tolerate so far. I had salad yesterday and it wasn’t a problem which I am so happy about as I love salads. I only try to eat protein and some non starchy vegetables. My favorite is crab meat mixed with horse radish sauce and a little spoon of olive oil. It has so much protein I think 20 grams protein for 100 ml of crab meat. Also scallops are a good choice.
    I have lots of energy during the day, it’s quite surprising how my body can adopt to consuming such little calories. Yesterday I started playing tennis for the first time which was ok.
    Weight loss is quite slow , I would have preferred to loose more in the first month, but I am still great full that I had no complications and had it quite easy.
    I had my first stall at 4 days after surgery! That must be a record of some kind , I didn’t loose a single gram for ten days.
    I lost 7.5 kg ( 16.5lbs) since my surgery, which doesn’t seem much for the first month, but still not too bad. Plus there is nothing more I can do anyway as I am only consuming 600 calories a day and I haven’t cheated at all. I eat next to no carbs , mostly protein. I have a very slow metabolism and I guess now it’s even slower. I have 30kg (66lbs) more to loose.
    I have no regrets having the surgery, I wish I had the courage to do it sooner not spent the best years of my life being fat.
    I look forward to loosing more and my goal is being able to see my collar bones in the mirror☺️

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Lilswedie's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    01-02-2020 06:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: 1 month update

Hello! I needed to read this...thank you. I can’t wait to start my journey also. Can’t wait to watch you transform. Please keep us updated.
    Here’s to good health!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone's body still strives for equilibrium. The same marvel that keeps us upright also doesn't want our weight to drop too suddenly for our system, lest we die! It's quite frustrating if you are on the slow and steady course, but you are heading in the right direction.

Keep doing what your bariatric team tells you. Post often for support. You'll be there before you know it. Even at 67, I lose quickly...and I can add on quickly as well, lol. Maintenance is easier to be successful when you've already laid your solid groundwork by following the "rules" set for a successful lifetime change with your sleeve.

Congratulations!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

7. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone looses at different rates....and it can be soooo frustrating to hit stalls when you know that you have been doing everything right.
    Your body will sort itself out. Just stick to the program and everything will be fine.

Collar bones are seriously underrated. I forgot that I even had any......and I really like looking at them now that I have them back ;-)