Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    01-02-2020 06:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Here’s to better health!

Hello!
    I’m a 53 yo who finally is making the commitment to better health. ONCE AND FOR ALL!
    In 2007, I was on a low BMI study and had the Lap Band placed.
    I immediately lost 20 lbs after surgery, but that was because of the liquid diet I was on. I stalled after that and lost NOTHING! Still very hungry..
    A year later, I found a diet doctor, started on diet pills and because my son was getting married, (a goal), I lost 50 lbs and got down to my goal weight which is 145.
    Well, slowly over the years the weight has crept on and I’m back where I started...215. The Lap Band was a complete failure for me, and has only caused several complications. Slippage, heartburn and discomfort, and from what my Dr. is telling me, when it’s not in the right place can make you even hungrier!
    After several years I was scared to go back to my Dr and ignored my symptoms thinking I would need to have the Band removed and would have to come up with the funds since I was no longer on the study.
    Well, I pulled up my britches and finally went to my Dr. He not only suggested removing the band but talked to me about the Sleeve.
    Fast forward....after a lot of research, Drs visits, and Insurance authorization (yay)! I’m scheduled for surgery 11/11/19.
    You guys, I’m so ready to get healthy. I have developed Fibromyalgia and just hurt all over. I’m on Lyrica, Cymbalta and high blood med.
    All this weight makes it so hard to move. I find it hard to bend over or bend down to pick up something. I just want to lay down because I don’t feel well...but push myself to work and get things done.
    I’m ready for this new chapter in my life. I’m praying that the Dr. is able to remove the Lap Band without a lot of scarring...for if this is the case, I won’t be able to have the Sleeve done at the same time and will have to wait until I heal which will take several months. But, I know this is just part of the process to good health.
    Would love to hear from any of you that went from the transition of Lap Band to Sleeve.

So happy to be here. Here’s to good health!
    SW 215
    GW 145

2. The following 9 users said welcome Lilswedie to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Here’s to better health!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting insurance authorization. I did not have a lap band, but I can tell you getting the sleeve will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. You still have to be conscious of what you're eating and still make good choices, but its worth it!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Lilswedie's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

I’m nervous but ready. Thank you!

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Hi there and welcome! I’m going to repost a response I gave to questions about the Lap-Band. If it sounds familiar to some, it’s what I send out to those who are considering VSG after Lap-Band:

I had my Lap-Band placed 12-2009. I lost all my weight in just over 1 year but then slowly started to gain it back. I dealt with nausea/vomiting, reflux, trouble breathing and a dilated esophagus. The constant trips to adjust the band was awful. The Lap-Band was very popular until a few years ago but about a third of those patients now require additional surgery to lose weight, because there has been a loosening or slipping of the band over time which is exactly what happened to me. In addition, weight loss tends to be temporary – 6-12 months is typical. In the end, I weighed 20lb more than when I first had the band placed. Remember that Lap-Bands do not last forever. Because the post-market studies submitted by the makers of Lap-Band ended after only five years, we don’t know exactly how long Lap-Bands last. Many patients do not keep their Lap-Bands for 10 years, either because they stopped losing weight or had complications, such as the band slipping or deteriorating. Researchers at the European School of Laparoscopic Surgery studied patients with gastric banding devices for 12 years. They found that more than one-fourth of patients had their bands wear out, and half of the patients had their bands removed. Each additional surgery, whether to take a band out or replace it, is an added risk. Even patients with good experiences will eventually need it removed (and replaced, if the patient wants it to be). Fast forward to 2019 and I had my VSG done 3/27 and so far it’s been going great! My Lap-Band was removed and the VSG performed all in one surgery. If there is extensive scar tissue, however, it is often better to let that heal and then proceed with a sleeve or bypass a few months later. My surgeon did say that I would lose weight at a slower pace after having the band as compared to other gastric surgery patients so it is a little frustrating at times. But I would still make the same decision to have the VSG. With the band I stopped feeling my restriction so I overate and with the VSG the restriction is always there (though I have read that research shows two years after your surgery your stomach can double in size and if you consistently overeat you can stretch your pouch). For pre-op, I had to have an upper GI done to make sure there was no erosion caused by the band, but no other invasive tests were required. About 20% of patients who get a sleeve have reflux after but my reflux has disappeared completely. I am on a PPI for 6 months and Ursodiol which is prescribed for obese patients undergoing rapid weight loss to prevent gallstone formation. With the exception of my bariatric vitamin and calcium, I have stopped all my others meds in the space of 4 months! I was on the fence for awhile but in the end I wouldn’t change my decision to do the revision. I’m only sorry I chose the Band first, otherwise I’d have been at or near my goal over 9 years ago.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Your story sounds so much like mine! I wonder why weight loss is slower if you had the band? With all of this I’m ready to make the commitment to eating better and losing this weight. Thank you so much for your story!!!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Basically when you already have a first weight loss surgery, the second one will be always less efficient because your body got used to the drastic calorie cut the first time and is not "impressed" the second time.
    But you will still lose, just slower and may be not as much as if it was the first surgery. A good balanced diet and exercise will help indeed.
    Good luck!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Thank you!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome.
    Congrats on taking control of your life.
    I was sleeved at 54 and it is the best thing that I have ever done for myself.
    You have the right attitude to make this a success for yourself.
    All the best.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

That’s so good to hear! I feel so young on the inside. Time to feel better altogether! Being on this forum has been so good for me.
    I’m still nervous about the first couple of days after surgery, but I’m a tough cookie.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I've never felt so young! :-)

I had 2 nights in hospital and then was home. I was on pain relief while in hospital but once out I didn't need to take anything - everyone is different though! So take it if you need it.
    I never felt in pain it was just like I had done 1000 sit-ups! Going from lying down to sitting up and vice versa was difficult until a nurse advised me to swing my legs out first then push myself up with my hands. :-)
    I slept a lot the first week and used the two weeks that I had off work to get to grips with the new way of eating and to get my hydration/walking plan into action. It will feel like a full time job when for a few weeks but then you will get into the swing of things.
    You will be great!

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

I need to stop watching UTube videos! Was up half the night, and then felt terrified this morning. But the truth is, most people I’ve spoken to have said the same as you. Thanks again!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilswedie View Post
    I need to stop watching UTube videos! Was up half the night, and then felt terrified this morning. But the truth is, most people I’ve spoken to have said the same as you. Thanks again!
    It's natural to be nervous, but I am sure you are going to be in great hands with your surgeon. You've done your research, you know what to expect, now on to the hard part which is the surgery. The reward is so great!

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Looking at that reward! Thank you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/14/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    01-08-2020 11:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have surgery on 11/14.. What kind of diet does your doctor have you on pre-op? My doctor had me start 2 weeks before surgery eating two protein shakes for meals and then one meal with a lean meat and veggies. Seems like every doctor is different from what I'm reading.

Surgery date
    11/11/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michaelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

I’m doing the same as you. Two shakes and one lean cuisine or healthy choice dinner that’s less than 20 carbs. A snack can be a tablespoon of no sugar but butter, string cheese or hard boiled egg. I don’t necessarily have to do the frozen meal thing but I’ve decided it’s the easiest way for me.
    Congrats on your surgery!!!! How are you feeling?