Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Who Knew?

Who knew that if you overeat, eat wrong things, and don't move, you can gain weight. What surprise, lol.

My weight is up this past week; I have some health issues going on that have limited my moving around, and I have eaten less than great choices with the stress.

Back on track today -- thank you for always being around to encourage.

FYI, I still weigh less than my "normal" weight when I was young, still 25 BMI. But I don't like this upward trend thing. As Barney Fife said, "nip it in the bud".
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Who Knew?

Great attitude and acceptance of personal responsibility. Keep up the excellent work!

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My weight is up too because I've been feeling sorry for myself with my stupid shoulder. My only activity lately has been PT. I have gained 4 pounds!!! Crazy. On maintenance it is SO EASY to gain and then takes FOREVER to get it off. But I will. I finally got out and hiked 5 miles yesterday. That vitamin D felt good.

But after my pity party (of about 2 weeks) I realized I still weigh 7 pounds less than I did the last 5 years or so. My clothes fit really well, some winter things are pretty loose. So I really have nothing to whine about!! But once I pick a number I want to stay at that number.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    11-03-2019 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi, folks! Been a long time since my last post but here goes: sleeved on 2/5/19 so currently 9 months out from surgery. All you folks were instrumental in helping me get through and past many of the post-surgery ups and downs but I stayed the path and can’t say enough great things about this blog site and especially about how my surgical sleeve procedure has transformed my life - or maybe it’s more accurate to say that I HAVE TRANSFORMED MY LIFE! I firmly believe that because VSG is not always easy - one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever made but after 9 months I know it’s the right decision for me. We hear it all the time that VSG is a TOOL that needs to be utilized correctly (with both physical and emotional side effects) but if utilized correctly it will help bring you back to your old self or to a brand new you!

Starting surgical weight: 246
    Current weight: 155 (Woohoo, down 91 lbs)
    Now able to:
    - Hike at our local state parks regularly (nothing crazy strenuous but a brisk 3-4 miles on uphill, rocky, rooty paths)
    - Geocaching with two of my granddaughters (8 and 10) at this same state park and hiking for HOURS - so much fun!,
    - Able to park wherever the hell I want to at the mall instead of driving around looking for closest parking spots to mall entrance
    - No longer worried about sitting in a lawn chair that I might break or can’t fit into
    - Can now easily wipe my ass (yup, I know it’s gross but it’s true and one more small VSG victory)
    - Off every medication (high blood pressure, etc) except for my bariatric vitamins, vitamin D, and calcium — with one very ecstatic PCP
    - Still enjoy going out to eat with the family - just very creative with choices and saving money with meal sharing or ordering appetizers as my meal (and usually still bringing home a doggy bag)
    - Only weigh myself ONCE weekly or every 10 days - not going to be a slave nor become neurotic to the scale; I know when I’ve cheated but not going to beat myself up over it, just get back on track (just came back from a ten-day cruise and still lost .5 lbs while gone).

It’s leaked out to a few people other than family members that I had VSG and it’s interesting how some have acted - I can always tell when someone doesn’t “agree” or truly understand my reasoning behind doing what I did but I honestly don’t care. They can think all they want that I took the easy way out but I can first-hand attest to how difficult this journey can be and, more importantly, I know how I feel and I feel great - both physically and mentally and no one can put a price tag nor guilt trip on that!!

Best to everyone, Deb

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    My weight is up too because I've been feeling sorry for myself with my stupid shoulder. My only activity lately has been PT. I have gained 4 pounds!!! Crazy. On maintenance it is SO EASY to gain and then takes FOREVER to get it off. But I will. I finally got out and hiked 5 miles yesterday. That vitamin D felt good.

But after my pity party (of about 2 weeks) I realized I still weigh 7 pounds less than I did the last 5 years or so. My clothes fit really well, some winter things are pretty loose. So I really have nothing to whine about!! But once I pick a number I want to stay at that number.
    Oh Sharon, I am so "fixed" on a number. I KNOW better. My size 4 jeans still fit but my waist has disappeared -- but rectangle is still a shape. I've determined I'm going to get back on the stationary bicycle, since I don't feel any better doing nothing than doing something.

But winter is easy to have a pity party even when you love the weather. I have SAD and have to get some sunshine. Growing up where it was clear 343 days a year and precipitation was snow, makes it hard to enjoy the gray crouching clouds of NC fall & winter!

And yes, gaining seems to be easier (I think its my age in part) and losing takes way longer than I remember...but then again, I hide things from myself every day

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DebF View Post
    Hi, folks! Been a long time since my last post but here goes: sleeved on 2/5/19 so currently 9 months out from surgery. All you folks were instrumental in helping me get through and past many of the post-surgery ups and downs but I stayed the path and can’t say enough great things about this blog site and especially about how my surgical sleeve procedure has transformed my life - or maybe it’s more accurate to say that I HAVE TRANSFORMED MY LIFE! I firmly believe that because VSG is not always easy - one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever made but after 9 months I know it’s the right decision for me. We hear it all the time that VSG is a TOOL that needs to be utilized correctly (with both physical and emotional side effects) but if utilized correctly it will help bring you back to your old self or to a brand new you!

Now able to:
    - Hike at our local state parks regularly (nothing crazy strenuous but a brisk 3-4 miles on uphill, rocky, rooty paths)
    - Geocaching with two of my granddaughters (8 and 10) at this same state park and hiking for HOURS - so much fun!,
    - Able to park wherever the hell I want to at the mall instead of driving around looking for closest parking spots to mall entrance
    - No longer worried about sitting in a lawn chair that I might break or can’t fit into
    - Can now easily wipe my ass (yup, I know it’s gross but it’s true and one more small VSG victory)
    - Off every medication (high blood pressure, etc) except for my bariatric vitamins, vitamin D, and calcium — with one very ecstatic PCP
    - Still enjoy going out to eat with the family - just very creative with choices and saving money with meal sharing or ordering appetizers as my meal (and usually still bringing home a doggy bag)
    - Only weigh myself ONCE weekly or every 10 days - not going to be a slave nor become neurotic to the scale; I know when I’ve cheated but not going to beat myself up over it, just get back on track (just came back from a ten-day cruise and still lost .5 lbs while gone).

It’s leaked out to a few people other than family members that I had VSG and it’s interesting how some have acted - I can always tell when someone doesn’t “agree” or truly understand my reasoning behind doing what I did but I honestly don’t care. They can think all they want that I took the easy way out but I can first-hand attest to how difficult this journey can be and, more importantly, I know how I feel and I feel great - both physically and mentally and no one can put a price tag nor guilt trip on that!!

Best to everyone, Deb
    Deb, Kudos! Great job, great attitude and great encouragement. I did this for my health, and een with issues its way better!

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    I have eaten less than great choices with the stress.
    No worries!! more carbs=more water retention! plus cortisol from the stress makes you hungry....it will go away soon!!

I had a bad stomach flue lately and was "surviving" on carbs for two weeks...my tummy feels really bloated and my pants is talking about explosion every day!! but that will go away as soon as I stop the carbs when my stomach can finally settle! hopefully tomorrow!

Take care!!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Annie.
    It's a bummer when this happens - but you have the right attitude to "nip it in the bud" (we used to get the Andy Griffiths show here too - and I'm old enough to remember it!).
    As we say in NZ "She'll be right mate!"
    xxx

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DebF View Post

Now able to:

Best to everyone, Deb
    What a praise report! Congratulations and continued success!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Annie,
    The struggle is real and constant. For me, its always a surprise when I just start eating garbage. Like "what in the heck are you doing?" Maintenance remains a constant struggle. I continue to fight that little demon inside of me that rears her head and says LET'S EAT!!! On my way to Portugal this week and am determined to be mindful and cognizant of what I'm eating while enjoying some good Portugese eateries!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Gastric Sleeve Pal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Prof Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    01-23-2022 04:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi AnnieG,
    First of all I am sorry you are having health issues and stress will make a huge impact on your whole well-being. You seem to have figured it out and it is only been a week. But it is hard when the combination of things such as stress Ill health and the winter!
    All play a part.
    My very best wishes to you.
    Rooting for you and I know you have this.
    But I also agree it is not easy on maintenance.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastric Sleeve Pal View Post
    Hi AnnieG,
    First of all I am sorry you are having health issues and stress will make a huge impact on your whole well-being. You seem to have figured it out and it is only been a week. But it is hard when the combination of things such as stress Ill health and the winter!
    All play a part.
    My very best wishes to you.
    Rooting for you and I know you have this.
    But I also agree it is not easy on maintenance.
    I think maintenance is hard because I'm making it hard - that is, I'm staying at the same weight but about ready to be focused on another part of my life!