Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    01-30-2020 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Father considering surgery for my daughter

Hi,

My daughter is 18 yrs old with BMI of about 39%. It was recommended by her dr. that we explore the surgery option for her.
    We now started the !6 months process leading to it and I have so many questions...

My main concern is long term impact after the surgery (she is only 18!):
    what type of food will she be able to eat?
    Will it restrict her ability to perform physical exercises?
    Are there any long term impact on pregnancy, etc?
    Other long term side effects?

As parents, we undertand the positive impact of the surgery and the risk of not conducting it. We are lacking knolwedge of what her life will look like after surgery.

Thank you all for sharing!

2. The following 8 users said welcome Raviv to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Father considering surgery for my daughter

Ok, I replied to your other post but you have asked some more specific questions here.

Your daughter will be able to eat most/all foods. The surgery is a tool but not a miracle. She would have to work at it for the rest of her life. Making sure that she eats good solid protein first, good veg then if room small amount of carbs.

It would not restrict her ability to perform physical exercise - it will only enhance it. She will have more energy and be much smaller which makes life in general easier.

Not sure about the pregnancy thing - I'm well past that now ;-) but there was an article a couple of days ago on the forum about that - have a search and read up.

Keep researching - you are doing a good job for your daughter.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I too know nothing about teens. I do know she will be able to eat all foods after maybe 3 months. Early on you can't eat much, but later you can. I'm 6 years out and you would never know I've been sleeved by what I eat. I still focus on protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room.

She will have to be super committed to following the program. If she is not totally on board, it won't work. It's not magic. People can regain their weight, no problem. I guess I'm just saying this is something SHE has to want, not only her parents and her doctor.

Exercise is so much easier after losing weight. Exercise will not be a problem at all. Now exercise is essential for me to maintain my weight loss.

I have heard of many sleeved people becoming pregnant in this online group and in my support group at my hospital, no problem. I have had no side effects at all, but some people do. Keep researching and best of luck to your entire family!

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

https://youtu.be/DeBqO1Zf4lg

The doctor who sponsors this site made this video about pregnancy and fertility.

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I answered your other post, but like others have said, the sleeve is not the miracle--it is simply a tool. The sleeve will help you lose somewhere between 70-80% of your excess weight, but it is something that she will have to pay attention to for the rest of her life. I so wish that this surgery had been available when I was in my teens! Good Luck on whatever you decide.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

You've had some sound comments - now my 2 cents worth.

I never struggled with weight until I was older, but 2 of my 3 daughters have. They have been way down and way up. Now as adults (mid 30's) they have all found that cognitive therapy, daily weighing and not putting a "value" of good or bad on food, and daily exercise, works for them.

Unless your daughter realizes that this surgery changes nothing with her relationship with food (whether it's a comfort, stress, etc.,) the sleeve will not guarantee her a life that is a particular weight, size or body mass.

Many of us here (me included) have gone for counseling, therapy, and journal or have other tools in our kit to make the sleeve effective.

At 18, making a lifetime commitment is not the same as choosing it as an adult; our reasoning and decision-making areas of the brain don't really mature until the mid 20's.

If this is what she truly wants, I would strongly suggest whatever program she and the doctor decide on includes a psychological component appropriate for someone her age.

That said, I hope she finds what works best for her!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

14. Said thanks: