Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default What is the ONE THING......

What is the one thing that you do that you feel has made you a successful sleever?

What is the one thing that you EAT everyday that you feel helps you stay on track?

What is the one thing that doesn't go down in your belly the way that it use to?

1. The one thing that I do that I feel has made me successful is I listen to my "sleevie." When I get that sign that I've eaten enough--I don't push it. I hate that too full feeling. It does not feel good at all, and neither does the other stuff that comes with eating too much with the sleeve. The other thing that I do now is that I weigh every day. That may not work for some, but it is something that I've been doing for the last six months--especially when I gained the twenty pounds. It really lets me know where I am and it keeps me mindful.

2. The one thing that I eat everyday that I feel helps me stay on track is really two things: Greek yogurt and oatmeal. I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast. Its filling and holds me. The Greek yogurt is really my nighttime snack. I plan for it and look forward to my treat at night.

3. The one thing that doesn't go down in my belly the way that it used to is chicken. Me and chicken have broken up. The most I can handle is maybe a chicken wing. Eggs were never high on my list but even more so now. I just can't stomach them the way that I used to!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: What is the ONE THING......

1. Following the rules of the sleeve and weighing myself every day. Even now after 6 years most of my meals are protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room. And I'm not totally strict about it, I don't deprive myself of anything. If we go out for pizza, I will have a piece of pizza. It's amazing how satisfied I am with less.

2. I think I've had eggs for breakfast all these years. Sometimes I'll have the FAGE yogurt mixed with berries, but now that summer's over, it's back to eggs.

3. Sad to say, there is nothing I can't eat. I wish greasy food made me sick, or sugar, or any junk food, but no, my stomach is a rock. Never been sick since getting the sleeve.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Good topic Kenson.

1. Tracking my food intake. Weighing/measuring all my food when possible. Weighing myself every day. Having a positive attitude. - sorry that's more than one ;-)
    2. Protein shake for breakfast - most days. I have breakfast at work so it is really convenient and gives me a good head start on my protein intake.
    3. Fresh salmon. I love poached salmon but I have tried it 3-4 times now and my stomach just doesn't like it. I can do canned salmon no problem. Weird.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    1. Following the rules of the sleeve and weighing myself every day. Even now after 6 years most of my meals are protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room. And I'm not totally strict about it, I don't deprive myself of anything. If we go out for pizza, I will have a piece of pizza. It's amazing how satisfied I am with less.

2. I think I've had eggs for breakfast all these years. Sometimes I'll have the FAGE yogurt mixed with berries, but now that summer's over, it's back to eggs.

3. Sad to say, there is nothing I can't eat. I wish greasy food made me sick, or sugar, or any junk food, but no, my stomach is a rock. Never been sick since getting the sleeve.
    Sharon,
    I do have to say that I don't deprive myself of anything either. I also wish sugar made me sick, but alas......no!

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    Good topic Kenson.

1. Tracking my food intake. Weighing/measuring all my food when possible. Weighing myself every day. Having a positive attitude. - sorry that's more than one ;-)
    2. Protein shake for breakfast - most days. I have breakfast at work so it is really convenient and gives me a good head start on my protein intake.
    3. Fresh salmon. I love poached salmon but I have tried it 3-4 times now and my stomach just doesn't like it. I can do canned salmon no problem. Weird.
    KiWi, I weigh and measure everything. It's an old weight watchers habit that I have always used. It's weird, yours is salmon and mine is Dunkin Donuts french vanilla coffee, which I use to purchase every single day. Now, I can't stomach it at all.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Great topic, kenson!

1. Weigh daily, and not eat any "junk" during the week. Start off each Monday with a protein shake and try to breathe before mindlessly "grabbing food"
    2. Non-fat Greek Yogurt w/berries, chia seeds, flax seeds and teaspoon of granola, was and is my favorite since surgery. Nuts (have them every night and can probably eat a can if I didn't measure them out in a small dish.
    3. I can eat mostly everything but I'm not a fan of breakfast early in the day. Not a huge fan of meat and still can't handle white rice or pasta

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Weigh every morning. That seems to be the number one thing we're all doing to keep us successful. It allows us to know where we are and if we can be a little freer with our food choices.

I drink a protein shake every morning. Most weekdays I have one for lunch as well. I do my food eating at nighttime. I start with dinner and then my food goblin come out and I eat everything in the house at bedtime If I were to eat food earlier in the day, I would have gained all my weight back. Once I put that first bite of food in my mouth, I'm insatiable for the rest of the day.

Chicken is a beast for me, too. Except only healthy chicken. No problem with wings or fried chicken. I have a super grumpy tummy in general, so it could be anything I put in my mouth is going to come back... except junk food. Junk food goes down and stays down with ease.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Weigh every morning. That seems to be the number one thing we're all doing to keep us successful. It allows us to know where we are and if we can be a little freer with our food choices.

I drink a protein shake every morning. Most weekdays I have one for lunch as well. I do my food eating at nighttime. I start with dinner and then my food goblin come out and I eat everything in the house at bedtime If I were to eat food earlier in the day, I would have gained all my weight back. Once I put that first bite of food in my mouth, I'm insatiable for the rest of the day.

Chicken is a beast for me, too. Except only healthy chicken. No problem with wings or fried chicken. I have a super grumpy tummy in general, so it could be anything I put in my mouth is going to come back... except junk food. Junk food goes down and stays down with ease.
    Katrina,
    I never thought I would be the person to weigh every day, but it really helps me to be aware and mindful.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

kenson, what a great picture of you! You have a stunning smile Pretty in and out!!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    kenson, what a great picture of you! You have a stunning smile Pretty in and out!!
    Awwww, thank you!!!!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

First, what a gorgeous photo! It really captures your inner beauty.

1. Following the rules of the sleeve and weighing myself every day. And being able to forgive myself if I miss something over make a less than awesome choice.

2. Daily - a protein shake distributed over two cups of coffee (as in its my creamer). Then I know I've gotten protein in. And its normally my breakfast. I don't usually eat again until around 11:30 (Oh, I get up about 6am). Unless my blood sugar crashes, and then its a tsp of peanut butter & a sip of OJ

3. What I can't eat - I no longer like lemon or lemon flavored anything; "toad froth". But lime is okay. So far everything I've tried (although cautiously) has been okay...
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!