Surgeon
    Dr Richardson
    Last Activity
    12-16-2019 08:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Anxious about after surgery

Hello, I am new to this site. I am going through the process to have the gastric sleeve. Would love to hear what to really expect after surgery.

2. The following 6 users said welcome Sandiemr to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anxious about after surgery

Hi And welcome.

What to expect after surgery - do you mean immediately after?
    You will probably spend 1-2 nights in hospital.
    You will be tired, but you shouldn't be in pain if you have the right pain relief.
    You will be trying to sip water and you will be encouraged to get up and walk as much as you can.
    Once home you will continue with your surgeons plan for getting fluids into you and you need to make it your job to sip that water all the time, and to walk as often and as far as you feel able to - increasing all the time. You will be increasing your protein intake and as the weeks go by introducing new foods.
    You will sleep a lot the first week but the second week you should be feeing more like your old/new self.
    There will be a lot to remember with regards to what you should be drinking but this should all be in a plan that you have been given. Stick to it.

Once those first couple of weeks are out of the way you should be feeling pretty good.

Then the fun starts :-)

The weight starts to drop off, you get to grips with your new lifestyle, you have lots of energy and you will be so thankful that you have made this decision.

Other stuff:
    You will probably stall along the way - usually around 3 weeks. This is normal. Don't freak out. :-) Just keep to your plan and it will all be ok.
    Hide the scales and maybe only get on once a week.
    Take before and after photos - you might not want a before one but trust me later on you will wish that you had one.
    Keep one item of clothing (it was a pair of jeans for me) just to amaze yourself about how much weight you have lost.
    As you need smaller clothes buy small amounts and cheap - you will probably drop sizes so quickly you won't be wearing things for long. My local charity store did very well out of me the first year.

Be excited. Positivity goes a long way to being successful.

Come on here and let us know how you are doing - ask questions - rant/rave - share the good news.

There will be others along soon to add to this I'm sure.

All the best.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/26/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Richardson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank you!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I was in the hospital one night, went home the next morning after the swallow test. The only real pain was when they woke me from surgery. Other than that it was minimal. My only surprise in the hospital was these things on my legs that inflated and deflated all day and night to avoid blood clots. It actually felt good. I walked a little when I wasn't sleeping.

When I got home I slept. A lot. Most of that first week. I put my recliner by the TV and slept a lot there as my bed was sort of high to climb into. When not sleeping I was sure to meet my liquid and protein requirements. I kept a journal of ounces every day. You have to take teeny, tiny sips as your tummy heals. I never had a day where I didn't meet my goals. I started walking a little. Here my only surprise was once home hubby had to give me a shot every day to avoid blood clots. I can't remember how many, maybe 10? I couldn't do it myself. Chicken.

Then every week things kept getting better. I was off all pain meds within a week so I could drive. I went back to work after 2 weeks. For the first 6 weeks I was able to add new foods each Monday. It was fun shopping for those Mondays! By 6 weeks I was cleared for all foods. But this whole time I wasn't hungry at all, so no temptation to overeat. I was eating super small quantities. I remember the teachers at lunch looking at my tiny bowl of chili wondering what's up. (Special tip - DON'T tell people about your surgery, you hear so much stupid stuff. You want to keep positive!) I continued walking and increased my distance.

Early on some foods were difficult to eat. Like chicken. About one bite and I was stuffed. Sadly, that doesn't last. I'd say by three months I was eating like a normal person, just less and of course eating how I was taught. I never got sick or threw up, ever.

The weight just fell off. Seriously! It was so much fun. Reached goal in less than a year. Have kept it off for over 5 years. I feel the maintaining is more difficult than the losing, probably because I can eat so much more now.

Take some "before" photos. (Most of us don't have many of those as we hid from the camera). Buy a pretty journal. Take your measurements now and maybe every few months. I logged my weight every Monday. I didn't weigh more than that because the little fluctuations drove me nuts. For a while early on you won't lose, and you will be eating about nothing, and it will drive you nuts. So just weigh once a week, and realize that stalls will happen. During the whole journey I gained 2 weeks, stayed the same 2 weeks, and lost all the rest.

You are in for the time of your life! I never could have imagined myself normal sized. I say I'm strong, not skinny. Climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro at 62 this past summer. After that I feel I can do anything. Ask questions here. Have fun!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/26/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Richardson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Wow, that’s wonderful news. I have been going to a support group that has a few people who are quick to say , so and so had that surgery and got acid reflux. Don’t get that one!, ugh I would like support 😀. Sandie

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiemr View Post
    Wow, that’s wonderful news. I have been going to a support group that has a few people who are quick to say , so and so had that surgery and got acid reflux. Don’t get that one!, ugh I would like support ��. Sandie
    My surgeon did give me a one month prescription for an acid reflux med following surgery. Preventative measure? I never needed anything when I finished taking it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/26/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Richardson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Good idea.

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Ask for something for acid reflux or buy something over the counter. Sometimes the acid mimics hunger and can be a real "head game." Expect the pain to be mostly gas and walking, breathing deeply, sipping slowly and walking again really help. I encourage patients to begin the drinking process sitting straight up not laying in bed, we even find standing up while drinking in the beginning is helpful. Remember, your new tummy is swollen and sore and it's going to take some concentration and effort to drink at an appropriate pace and still keep hydrated. I find this to be the number one "surprise" for many patients.
    Good luck!

14. Said thanks: