Dr. Dyer
    Last Activity
    11-04-2019 03:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Help!!!!

It's been 6 years since I had my sleeve done. I did great for 5 years and over the past year I have lost all control and gained almost 60 lbs!! I started back on track 2 weeks ago and am down 14 lbs. Woo Hoo!! However, I am sooooooo ANGRY that I allowed myself to falter soooooo much!!! Any advice and encouragement is appreciated. Thanks

[URL="http://www.gastricsleeve.com/surgery-date-ticker/"][/URL

Highest weight: 298 lbs
    Weight at time of surgery: 253
    Current weight: 175

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Help!!!!

I'm 6 years out too. I joined Weight Watchers when I had a slight gain and it helped me get 10 pounds under my goal. (Found out I shrunk a little over the years, and wanted some wiggle room). I know many people think I'm nuts for joining WW, but it really worked for me. I guess the secret is to find what works for you. Is it just digging out your old materials and being sure you are eating how we were taught to eat? Tracking however you want? Many people use My Fitness Pal.

Maintenance is HARD. We can eat so much more now. Just a year ago I could only eat one piece of pizza, now 2 is no problem. The only time I feel full is with protein like fish, meat or eggs. You just have to get back on track, and it sounds like you're doing that already. Then when you reach your goal, my advice is to weigh daily. Then you can work on say a 5 pound gain before it gets to be 10, 20, or more. Right now I am working on a 4 pound gain, and it's driving me nuts. So easy to gain, so difficult to lose. But we can do it!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Well done on your 14lb loss you are well on your way to where you want to be.
    I'm only 2 years out but take on board what you veterans say about maintenance. It is so much easier to eat these days and it we really do have to be mindful of what we decide to put in our mouths.
    You have recognised that you want to do something about your gain and you are working on it.
    You will definitely be able to do it!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon gave such great advice! I was sleeved almost 6 years ago as well (January). Congrats on losing 14 pounds. Sounds like you are on your way.
    I also went back to Weight Watchers, thanks to Sharon, and it really helped me to get myself back on track. Don't be angry with yourself--this maintenance stuff is hard. We all know how to lose weight, but this maintaining is an entire different animal. Get out your sleeve bible and do a "re-fresh" figure out how you are going to be mindful and conscious every day. Like Sharon, I've begun to weigh myself almost daily--just so I know what my numbers are. You've done it before and you'll do it again.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to "being back on track". As all these wise ladies said, maintenance is not a walk in the park, although walking in the park does help I'm 8 1/2 years out and finding maintenance to be somewhat difficult and trying to keep mindful about the journey is a daily happening. Sometimes I am, others not so much. I'm also retiring in December and am worried about being home more so I'm making plans to join some fitness classes, and generally keep myself busy.

You got this and I think we all need to be self-accountable but tools like joining Weight Watchers, using apps, going to support groups (which is one of my better tools) all help us to maintain the course. I wish you continued success and like kenson said, start from the beginning and work your way to the success you know you can achieve once again.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    Welcome to "being back on track". As all these wise ladies said, maintenance is not a walk in the park, although walking in the park does help I'm 8 1/2 years out and finding maintenance to be somewhat difficult and trying to keep mindful about the journey is a daily happening. Sometimes I am, others not so much. I'm also retiring in December and am worried about being home more so I'm making plans to join some fitness classes, and generally keep myself busy.

You got this and I think we all need to be self-accountable but tools like joining Weight Watchers, using apps, going to support groups (which is one of my better tools) all help us to maintain the course. I wish you continued success and like kenson said, start from the beginning and work your way to the success you know you can achieve once again.
    My recent retirement (quit when school ended last spring) is what I blame for my slight weight gain. I need more structure, maybe a volunteer job. Not sure what that might be, as like I said, we are on the road as much as we are home. But being home isn't for me.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

sraebaer, I was hoping to hear retirement is "everything and then some"! I am getting mixed reviews from others I know that are retired. I really am looking forward to no schedule, getting up at 5 AM, and the politics of work in general, however; I love my job and working with the bariatric team has been amazing. My husband is retired 3 years now and loves it, never gets bored and lost 10 pounds (not that he ever dealt with a weight problem), but keeps active. I'm going to volunteer in the marketing department of the hospital where I currently work and will do a little consulting work with them as a sub-contractor. I just am anxious about all the spare time and how I'm going to fill it, I'm making plans ,

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Retirement is as individual as weight loss; the first year (I was written out on medical disability with one days notice at 55) was dreadful; it was not something I had expected.

That said, once the health issues were reasonable, I find I am, at 67, busy and productive; We don't travel a lot (husband was a literal global trouble shooter and is now 72), but its because we have 2 dogs that have to go or be somewhere. But 3/4 of our family are in state, and we go "up north" to Saratoga Springs where family is as well. Some folks take the time to adventure like crazy. Some folks find a niche volunteering.

I volunteer, and I take a lot of classes at church, in community. And I love to sew and craft -- and my husband is my BFF. I think, like the sleeve, retirement is a tool and we determine how it works best!

But I find it some of the best years! No, I no longer have horses, nor rodeo any more; I do not go rock climbing any more. But the things we do we do with passion as always!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!