Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Default A little sad

I got on the cleaning kick on Tuesday and started to clean out my closets. I pulled out all the clothes that were a size too large, but also found a bunch of clothes that were a size too small based on my goal weight. My husband was being a trooper helping me, but when he saw that I was giving away all those clothes, he asked me if I would rather pack them away. The clothes that are too small right now, I suppose I could hang onto those, but the clothes that are too big, why would I want to keep? It’s like he’s thinking I might not be successful and that hurt. He tells me all the time how great I’m looking and how impressed he is with my weight loss, but I still feel a little sad. Am I just being overly sensitive? Should I hang on to them until I hit my goal weight and then purge my closets again or is keeping them only going to sabotage my efforts to be successful?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A little sad

Don't be sad!
    I'd say get rid of those clothes that are too big because you will never be that size again! it's great that hubby is so supportive. Just show him that you are confident that you will not ever need those clothes again!

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

For sure get rid of anything too big, you don't want an excuse to go back! I gave all my (very nice) things to a transitional program for women starting over.

If you have things too small and you like them, save them. You'll be fitting into them in no time

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI! Definitely give all the too big clothing away. Keep the too small ones, even if you give them away afterwards, just to satisfy yourself you can fit into them. I gave everything away as i grew out of them. I had clothes that i eventually got into that I kept for years, but because they were old fashioned I gave them away as soon as i could wear them. I have been on a clothing splurge ever since my journey, I love shopping now! enjoy the feeling and have fun.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
    I got on the cleaning kick on Tuesday and started to clean out my closets. I pulled out all the clothes that were a size too large, but also found a bunch of clothes that were a size too small based on my goal weight. My husband was being a trooper helping me, but when he saw that I was giving away all those clothes, he asked me if I would rather pack them away. The clothes that are too small right now, I suppose I could hang onto those, but the clothes that are too big, why would I want to keep? It’s like he’s thinking I might not be successful and that hurt. He tells me all the time how great I’m looking and how impressed he is with my weight loss, but I still feel a little sad. Am I just being overly sensitive? Should I hang on to them until I hit my goal weight and then purge my closets again or is keeping them only going to sabotage my efforts to be successful?
    Lisa Girl, get rid of those too big clothes! You are almost 50 pounds down and will continue to lose, you won't need them again. It sounds like Hubs is just trying to be supportive, maybe he really doesn't know what to say. You look great and even if the weight is coming off more slowly than you'd like, it will continue to come off if you work the sleeve like you should.

Don't be sad, hang in there..….you've got this!!!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Get rid of the big ones, keep the small ones. You've still got a life time of weight loss from the sleeve. You should be losing at a steady clip until a year or 18 months post op. You might have just stalled recently which happens to all of us.

I just got my "fat quilt" back from the quilter. I sent off a dozen of my 3x shirts around 200 days out from my surgery when I was in xl range. Now I'm a large tall. Still losing a few pounds a month.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope81 View Post
    Get rid of the big ones, keep the small ones. You've still got a life time of weight loss from the sleeve. You should be losing at a steady clip until a year or 18 months post op. You might have just stalled recently which happens to all of us.

I just got my "fat quilt" back from the quilter. I sent off a dozen of my 3x shirts around 200 days out from my surgery when I was in xl range. Now I'm a large tall. Still losing a few pounds a month.
    What a cool idea! Congrats on your weight loss journey.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

As above purge the too big clothes, keep the too small clothes.

We have all yo-yoed with our weight prior to surgery - but afterwards is a different story. You will not put the weight back on because you will be totally successful at keeping to the programme :-)

My local charity store did very well out of me as the weight dropped - and the local retail stores have done very well now that I have stabilized. There is so much more choice now - how can a girl not shop????!!!

You are doing great and you will show your hubbie just how successful you will be :-)

Hang in there.
    x

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Mark
    Surgeon
    Dr Roshek
    Last Activity
    03-15-2020 12:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

When Cortes landed in Mexico he burned his boats! Get rid of the stuff that is too big and stay focused on where you are going. Don't worry about your husband, us men say stupid crap all the time.

Pre-Op Diet Starting Weight: 342lbs
    1 Month Post Op Weight: 293lbs
    3 Month Post Op Weight: 272lbs
    6 Month Post Op Weight: 245lbs

Goal Weight: 215lbs

18. Said thanks: