Surgeon
    Dr adams
    Last Activity
    11-23-2019 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Sleeve vs bypass

I need some help deciding what I should do. Sleeve verses bypass??!

2. The following 7 users said welcome Robinrenee to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleeve vs bypass

Hi there.
    Can't help you with that decision sorry. That's for you and your surgeon to sort out. All I can suggest is do as much research as you can and even get a second opinion from another surgeon if you are not sure.
    My surgeon only does sleeves. From my understanding bypass is not as popular - BUT I don't know anything about bypass ops and they may be better in some situations.
    Someone will be along soon to offer some advice I'm sure :-)

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

That decision is yours to make, your surgeon can give you advice.

A sleeve is a good tool for people, who can eat huge meals in one sitting, but do not snack and graze in between meals.
    A bypass is better for people, who snack, grazes and munch all day long.
    A sleeve (if treated well), is for life, a bypass works only for 4 or 5 years.

These are the first things that come to my mind.
    There are a lot more differences.
    You will have to do research to decide what suits you best.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Ask your surgeon. Better yet talk to more than one surgeon. I personally don't now why they recommend some for bypass and some for the sleeve.

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi there, I can help give you some insight on rather to do the sleeve or bypass. I will share some of my experience and tell you what I’ve learned. I had no insurance and went to Mexico. I thought I researched wLS gastric sleeve and the doctor good enough. If you have any history of acid reflux, hiatal hernia’s & had a Nissan fundoplication wrap do not go with the sleeve. You are more prone to get acid reflux with the sleeve and it is easier for a hiatal hernia to bring your stomach up into your chest cavity which happened to me causing Afib and then a stroke. I developed severe heartburn right after surgery and then 10mos later severe acid reflux. Turns out my doctor cut the Nissan wrap down the middle because you can have one in place because the sleeve causes a lot of pressure. The sleeve initially may seem like the safest but it can cause plenty of issues depending on your medical history. If you have any history of reflux , heartburn & or hiatal hernias I don’t recommend the sleeve. If you don’t have a history of those problems the sleeve maybe the better choice. It’s a great weightloss tool. If you do have history of those things even just one of those things the Bypass is the best choice. I had to have a revision from a sleeve to a bypass 11-16-18. Sleeve was 1-26-17. I unfortunately had a lot of complications with the revision from sleeve to bypass. Once I stopped having complications from surgery I haven’t had trouble with my bypass. I unfortunately had other issues that made for a difficult 10mos. I’ve had 6 major surgeries including emergency surg. For a leak and infection, 2 days later intestinal rupture, sepsis and almost died, twisted intestians and adhesions removed & 10mos later a open total Colectomy, Ileostomy, protecolectomy. Hoping now to get back to enjoying life that the sleeve initially gave me. Loosing the 150lbs I lost changed my life for the better & helped me to make positive changes. I also got rid of obstructive Sleep apnea, diabetes, high B/P, CHF, off multiple meds. If you want to talk and ask me questions pm me. One recommendation is to make sure your surgeon does more than one WLS so they truly picked the best one for your health. I wish you the very best. 4D2E823F-24D2-412D-A012-80E9ED97CFE2.jpeg35C84D41-A5EE-4368-85E8-7AADA36D83D0.jpeg35C84D41-A5EE-4368-85E8-7AADA36D83D0.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    Hi there, I can help give you some insight on rather to do the sleeve or bypass. I will share some of my experience and tell you what I’ve learned. I had no insurance and went to Mexico. I thought I researched wLS gastric sleeve and the doctor good enough. If you have any history of acid reflux, hiatal hernia’s & had a Nissan fundoplication wrap do not go with the sleeve. You are more prone to get acid reflux with the sleeve and it is easier for a hiatal hernia to bring your stomach up into your chest cavity which happened to me causing Afib and then a stroke. I developed severe heartburn right after surgery and then 10mos later severe acid reflux. Turns out my doctor cut the Nissan wrap down the middle because you can have one in place because the sleeve causes a lot of pressure. The sleeve initially may seem like the safest but it can cause plenty of issues depending on your medical history. If you have any history of reflux , heartburn & or hiatal hernias I don’t recommend the sleeve. If you don’t have a history of those problems the sleeve maybe the better choice. It’s a great weightloss tool. If you do have history of those things even just one of those things the Bypass is the best choice. I had to have a revision from a sleeve to a bypass 11-16-18. Sleeve was 1-26-17. I unfortunately had a lot of complications with the revision from sleeve to bypass. Once I stopped having complications from surgery I haven’t had trouble with my bypass. I unfortunately had other issues that made for a difficult 10mos. I’ve had 6 major surgeries including emergency surg. For a leak and infection, 2 days later intestinal rupture, sepsis and almost died, twisted intestians and adhesions removed & 10mos later a open total Colectomy, Ileostomy, protecolectomy. Hoping now to get back to enjoying life that the sleeve initially gave me. Loosing the 150lbs I lost changed my life for the better & helped me to make positive changes. I also got rid of obstructive Sleep apnea, diabetes, high B/P, CHF, off multiple meds. If you want to talk and ask me questions pm me. One recommendation is to make sure your surgeon does more than one WLS so they truly picked the best one for your health. I wish you the very best. 4D2E823F-24D2-412D-A012-80E9ED97CFE2.jpeg35C84D41-A5EE-4368-85E8-7AADA36D83D0.jpeg35C84D41-A5EE-4368-85E8-7AADA36D83D0.jpeg
    Tamera,
    Wow is all I can say! I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery and good health!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Tamera,
    Wow is all I can say! I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery and good health!
    Thank you Kenson, I appreciate your kind message.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos