Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    07-21-2020 01:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Post op struggling

I am not quite a week post op and I am struggling to get enough fluid and or protein in my body. I feel nauseous most of the time and I am taking my meds. Everything tastes gross and I am picky eater already. The protein shakes are so sweet that they are not sitting well. I know this is temporary but I am starting to feel worse I think because I am not getting in enough protein. I talked with the dietician yesterday and she stressed the importance of the protein which I know of course. I can't believe how much of a FT job it is just to get in the fluid and the food. Just whining...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Post op struggling

It will get easier, and you can always add some water to the protein to cut the thickness. It's probably most important that you keep hydrated and move slowly to stage to stage. The nauseousness will get better and are you taking anything for it, like Zofran, etc. It's very early in the journey and it takes time to get used to, but every day it will get a little easier. Hang in there and just remember, hydrate. Being a picky eater may serve you well as it won't tempt you to eat lots of variety which is really not a positive thing in the beginning. Find what you like, stick to it, and move slowly from one food to another! Continued success and remember, "one day at a time."

Gastric Sleeve Member MindySue76's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton Le
    Last Activity
    10-15-2019 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I too had a problem with the sweetness of the shakes. I lived on the Healthwise and Bariatric Pal protein soups in the early days. Cream of Tomato and Cream of Chicken were my staples. I purchased some from my Dr's office and then bought a variety package from Amazon.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI Craftymary. welcome to the group and good luck on your journey. the first few weeks and for me the first 6 weeks are tough. I was in hospital for 3 nights and didn't take a single sip of water until after the 3rd day. I too struggled with fluids, but I was on fluid for the first 3 months, no solids until after that. I made homemade chicken soup and tomato soup. To the tomato soup I used to add in Quark, which is very high in protein. I also had a vitamin sachet supplement that used to take me the entire day to drink, but that's how I got my vitamins in. Try different clear soups to start and then graduate to a thicker soup. I also made butternut soup and added the quark when I was allowed a thicker consistency. Good luck.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there

It certainly does feel like a full time job when you start out. There is so much to remember and you are learning to eat again in a different way.

As said above hydration is key. I understand that the sweetness of the protein shakes can be a bit much. The suggested soups could be a goer if you are able to get enough protein into them. I think that there is some unflavoured protein powders available you could try adding some of this perhaps?

It really does get better every day and you will soon be in the swing of things and feeling better I'm sure. Hang in there.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

It really is a FT job to get all of your water and protein in. Everything is still swollen and tender, but each day will get better. I found sipping slowly all day long easier. I literally had a jug of water in my hand the entire time I was awake. If your shakes are too rich/sweet you can try adding extra milk or water and Unjury makes a really great easily dissolvable unflavored protein shake that you can mix with broth if that's easier for you.

It will get easier, hang in there!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yep, it's a full time job at first. But every day gets easier. Try the protein drinks that are more like Gatorade if you don't like the shakes. I used Isopure, a big bottle, I liked the orange flavor diluted with ice. May work best to go to GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe and buy one of whatever looks good to you, and then buy in bulk when you like something.

But there really are no excuses here. Take the tiniest sips you can every waking moment. Keep a journal to be sure you are meeting your liquid and protein goals. And remember the protein drinks also count toward your liquid goals. I even counted my morning coffee as a liquid, was told 1 cup a day was OK. If you don't get in your liquids you'll end up back in the hospital with dehydration. If you don't get in your protein you'll never regain your energy. When you have a little energy, you can start with short walks. You can do this!

Sleep was also an important part of my healing early on. Nap all you can. And then get your positive attitude on. Get excited!! You are on you way to being a healthy, normal sized person. Really fast. Nothing to whine about there! Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    07-21-2020 01:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

thank you everyone, I am trying really hard. I am forcing the fluids. I am going to call the doctor today and see if switching nausea medicine will help.