Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Feeling a bit... down, I guess

I don't know how to describe it.
    The days are getting shorter, maybe it is that.
    We are back from Sweden, maybe it is that, I loved it there so much!

I have not paid much attention to my food lately, although I still log everything in MFP.
    I am having the blues and I want to eat!
    I want comfort food, like pasta.
    I even ate junkfood like hamburgers (from a fastfood restaurant, there is one very good one in Sweden), fries and milkshakes...
    Yes, I eat whole grain pasta, so not too bad, but that just is not cutting it.
    I snack on protein bars, because I want sweets.

I eat a lot of carbs again (yes, comfort foods are rich in carbs), so maybe that is why I can't stop craving sweet things.
    I know exactly what I am doing "wrong", but I can't seem to stop it.
    My weight is still the same, more or less, but for how long, if I continue to go down this path?
    Since we left Sweden, I also don't get very much exercise anymore, the weather is cold and it rains a lot.
    Not much hiking or even walking.

I haven't been here much lately, so please tell me you missed me?
    No, you don't have to do that, but I just don't know what to do with myself...
    Sorry, rant over.
    I must go now and find my positive attitude, I know I have left it somewhere...
    Love you all!

p.s. I purchased an Instant Pot yesterday!
    This is going to replace my slow cooker.
    I am searching at you tube for all kinds of yummie recipes!
    Looking forward to the unboxing.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Feeling a bit... down, I guess

I missed you! Things have been so slow here, I miss everybody.

I can relate to that feeling, it hit me this week with the first days of cold weather. And I like the cold! Just started PT and I'm being a baby about my sore shoulder. There is no reason I can't hike or walk, my legs still work.

We are going to CO to hike next weekend, maybe that will lift my mood. Let's both feel better!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Dutchie!
    I was wondering where you were! I don't know what's going on with me, but I've been eating terribly for the past two weeks. Going to the gym is what has continued to save me. I was down .4 at weigh in on Saturday. This week I'm determined to regain my focus. I think you're going to have to find something to occupy your mind. Get back to basics. You can do it!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Hello Dear Dutchie, I'm so happy to see you posting!!! I was worried that you've missing and I was just going to send you a message. I'm so relieved to see that things are okay, but I can understand that you're feeling a little blue. I'm sure it's a combination of the things you mentioned and just a phase. I know that I missed you and your encouraging and helpful posts like crazy.

Isn't it shocking how fast old habits can sneak up on us?? I've recently gone through a bit of a stall with a foot injury keeping me from exercising hard like I have been. Then I made the fatal error of buying Halloween candy for the trick or treaters and boy was that a mistake. I didn't pay it any attention the first 2 weeks, didn't even look at. Then I ate just one tiny little mini candy bar and it was over. I think I ate 3 or 4 that day and I haven't had any sweets or junk food since my surgery. It's like my body went into a total meltdown, I was craving everything under the sun. I promptly threw all of the candy in the trash, bought mini raisins and nut packs for the kiddos. I'm sure they are going to be disappointed haha.

I feel bad about being so careless with my food choices, but it did teach me a valuable lesson. I have a food addiction and I can't let my guard down, it's so easy to slide back into old habits. I'm not saying that I won't ever splurge on occasion, but I can't have temptation just laying around. The good thing is that no matter what we did today, each tomorrow brings the opportunity to start over with a clean slate. We can do this!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

We definitely missed you Dutchie!

I believe that seasonal changes can definitely affect us. We are heading into Summer but our Spring is not playing the game at the moment and it is slightly warmer but still wet. We have longer hours of daylight (I want to say sunshine, but it isn't yet!) and I feel so much more like getting out and about. The bbq has been dusted off and I am looking forward to being able to use it on a regular basis again. So hopefully the weather sorts itself out soon.

The reverse will be happening to you. Days will be shorter, colder, you will be seeking comfort wherever you can find it. I guess you just need to try and make some yummy satisfying meals that work with your sleeve. It is so easy to fall into old habits isn't it?!
    I know that you can get over this hump and get back to your positive self.

I'm interested to hear about the instant pot. I'm not sure that we can get them here - but then I haven't looked :-)

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Dutchie, of course, you missed! I've been off the board with some health things, and I miss getting on and reading and catching up.

WINTER....I have "seasonal affective disorder", which means the less daylight, the "sad"der I get. I have an ultraviolet sun lamp (not the tanning kind) that gives you the rays and I put it near my reading/crocheting/TV chair.

I hear you about the carbs -- maybe they are our hibernation food?

I am NOT tracking food; I am doing daily weight but needed a break from "food" being my focus all the time. That seems to be helping. And I've started my morning journaling again --

But I would venture the thought that it' a seasonal thing. I grew up in the NW United States in a semi-arid area. We have 345 visual flying days a year, which translates to sunshine, with precipitation being mostly snow. So the gloomy gray rain and fall of NC make me feel "doomed". Claustraphobic. And I have to remember it's not character, but most likely chemical.

Hugs and hugs! <3 Keep posting.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I missed you! Things have been so slow here, I miss everybody.

I can relate to that feeling, it hit me this week with the first days of cold weather. And I like the cold! Just started PT and I'm being a baby about my sore shoulder. There is no reason I can't hike or walk, my legs still work.

We are going to CO to hike next weekend, maybe that will lift my mood. Let's both feel better!
    It has been SLOW here. I've been dealing with the syncope episode & some cardiac stuff and I am tired, and annoyed, and bored with feeling punk.

I don't like gloomy gray rainy NC fall (such as it is, since its still too warm for fall). That said, I don't want to live in winter again....

Glad you have a plan to get your mood up! Mine is going to see kids/grands on the 26th for a Halloween thing. And lunch with a friend. And petting my dogs. And finishing the dadburn cardiac tests.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

15. Said thanks: