Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default 6 Year Surgery Anniversary!

SIX YEARS as of today. I can’t believe it’s been that long since I had surgery. The results have been beyond my wildest dreams. My goal was to be a regular-sized, healthy person and I’m there. Losing the weight was super easy; keeping it off is a little more difficult. I still have to be careful not to go back to my old ways, like when I tried to buy a share sized bag of Peanut M&M’s on a recent road trip (with no intention of sharing). Hubby yelled “NOOOO!” The sleeve works; I get full quickly when I eat the right things. I lost about 90 pounds, from a size 22 to 8. EIGHT. I still can’t believe that number. I have taken pictures of that number. I am weird.

Life is totally NORMAL. I love normal. I love having a closet full of clothes that I know will fit. I love knowing people aren’t staring at the fat lady. I love that I feel younger. I love being active. I love wearing a swim suit. I love eating out and choosing the healthy option. (I have never been deprived). I love sitting in the middle seat on an airplane and being totally comfortable. I still can’t believe hubby and I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro at 62 and 64; not sure how we’re going to top that bucket list item. Many much younger and more fit people who try don’t make it, mainly due to altitude sickness. (At every campsite we listened to helicopters evacuating people.)

After maintaining my goal of 140 pounds for over 4 years, this year I decided to lose 10 more, as I found out I have shrunk a little with age. I am determined to be within the healthy BMI range. It’s also odd how at 140 for so long my body changed, clothes that fit at 140 five years ago were a little tight at 140 two years ago. I think it’s Ann’s “Sands through the hourglass” theory.

I feel like I’ve made great friends here over the years. Too bad we live all over the world! I have received so much help from this site and hope I have helped others. For new people, ask questions. Listen to all the advice and see what works for you. Don’t get angry if you don’t like what you hear, just scroll on. (I was recently called mean and condescending for expressing my opinion). We are all different and lose/maintain differently. However, I personally would consider someone who has “been there, done that” a reliable source.

Happy losing and maintaining everyone! The sleeve will change your life!

Sharon

I’ve attached a double photo of me, a ‘before’ next to me fin walking at Arches National Park a few weeks ago after we did my favorite Delicate Arch hike. I had never heard of fin walking; it’s basically walking along the top of walls of rock. It was scary but no one died! If you’re interested, some guys filmed our exact 2 hikes from that day on YouTube called “Unforgettable Arches National Park|My Favorite Hikes.”

Attachment 28498

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member PrettyShort1's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wegner
    Last Activity
    10-07-2019 12:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 6 Year Surgery Anniversary!

Congrats! I am over 6 years out and the sleeve was not as successful a journey for me in some ways. I initially lost about 70-80 pounds and was able to conceive which was awesome but after having a child 3 years ago it has been a struggle to get the weight back off. I am now bigger than my highest pre surgery weight. I love to read the positive stories of those who have had great success through years. Many blessings to you as you continue your journey.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon you are, and always will be, a total inspiration to me.

I love your straight talking, your common sense, your sense of humour.
    I am so glad that you continue to share your story with us all - the successes, the struggles, the accomplishments (climbing Mt Kilimanjaro is right up there as far as accomplishments go!).

The part of your post that I most identify with is "Life is totally NORMAL. I love normal". Normal is what I love about my life too. While travelling around Italy for the past five weeks I was able to all the things that normal people do. Walk for miles, eat pretty much what I wanted (albeit in smaller quantities), buy clothes at the markets, and best of all be way more comfortable in an airplane seat - although just how comfortable you can be after 24 hours flying is debatable. New Zealand really is very far from the rest of the world :-)

I have just clicked over two years and I know that there will probably be some struggles ahead with maintenance but hearing how everyone here copes with all sorts of different hiccups is a huge help. I know that everyone here has been through (or will be going through) the same things and that I can come on here for advise and support.

Thank you Sharon for continuing to care about us all and to take the time to come on this forum and tell it like it is :-)

Congratulations on your 6th year of your new life.

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyShort1 View Post
    Congrats! I am over 6 years out and the sleeve was not as successful a journey for me in some ways. I initially lost about 70-80 pounds and was able to conceive which was awesome but after having a child 3 years ago it has been a struggle to get the weight back off. I am now bigger than my highest pre surgery weight. I love to read the positive stories of those who have had great success through years. Many blessings to you as you continue your journey.
    That's awesome, the sleeve helped you have a baby!! Sorry about the weight, but I bet if you dug out your materials and started eating how you should you could lose again. I still feel restriction when I eat the right things like chicken. No restriction for junk like cookies. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and congratulations on that new little boy/girl.

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    Sharon you are, and always will be, a total inspiration to me.

I love your straight talking, your common sense, your sense of humour.
    I am so glad that you continue to share your story with us all - the successes, the struggles, the accomplishments (climbing Mt Kilimanjaro is right up there as far as accomplishments go!).

The part of your post that I most identify with is "Life is totally NORMAL. I love normal". Normal is what I love about my life too. While travelling around Italy for the past five weeks I was able to all the things that normal people do. Walk for miles, eat pretty much what I wanted (albeit in smaller quantities), buy clothes at the markets, and best of all be way more comfortable in an airplane seat - although just how comfortable you can be after 24 hours flying is debatable. New Zealand really is very far from the rest of the world :-)

I have just clicked over two years and I know that there will probably be some struggles ahead with maintenance but hearing how everyone here copes with all sorts of different hiccups is a huge help. I know that everyone here has been through (or will be going through) the same things and that I can come on here for advise and support.

Thank you Sharon for continuing to care about us all and to take the time to come on this forum and tell it like it is :-)

Congratulations on your 6th year of your new life.
    I feel your pain, Africa was quite a ways too! My town to Detroit to Amsterdam to Tanzania. Made me decide to see the US and Canada for a while....

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member lorrietime's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/25/2019
    Surgeon
    John Johnson, Jr.
    Last Activity
    11-19-2019 06:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Sharon, I agree with KiwiGal you are so inspiring! I value the insight/experiences of those that have gone before me - thank you and congrats!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Sharon you are one of my inspirations, seriously! 6 years out and you look awesome and from your posts and pics I can see how healthy you are and how much fun you are having. You've been so honest and forthright in your journey and I appreciate your candor. Your words have kicked me into gear more than a few times LOL.

I'm so very proud of you and I hope I can continue to be as dedicated and committed as you have been. Anytime I am feeling tempted I like to read back over posts here and you've always encouraged me to 'put my big girl panites on' and get with it. Thanks!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Sharon, Congratulations on all you have achieved and continue to achieve. You are my inspiration, may I be as successful as you are 6 years out.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Your before and after picture says it all!
    As others have said, you have been an inspiration to me since the beginning. My 6 year surgiversary is in January. I can't believe its been 6 years already. You are really the poster child of the realities of the sleeve. Losing weight is one thing, but maintenance is a completely different animal. Thank you for talking about your struggles with maintenance and returning to WW--I followed your lead and was able to lose as well. Normal, is such a great feeling isn't it? You continue to inspire us all Sharon. Congratulations!!!

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyShort1 View Post
    Sending you positive vibes that you can get back to basics and get your sleeve rocking again! Get out your old sleeve bible and focus. You did it once, and you can do it again!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    07/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. R. Richard
    Last Activity
    03-15-2023 06:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times
    Blog Entries

As always, an inspiring post.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey my crazy climbing friend! I'd say you "rock", but that might be punny considering your picture.
    Seriously, I don't know how I would have managed the past two years post sleeve without you, and Ann, KiwiGal, Dutchie, etc. You guys have all been full of support, information and fun.

Yes, normal is amazing! Who knew? And you look as good as you feel! May this year be full of many memories and adventures.

And yes, "sands through the hourglass" is a thing. I think I need to be about 5 less to have my clothes lay correctly. They were fine last year at this weight, lol!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

26. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Thanks everyone for being my cheerleaders!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I've seen so many negative posts lately it makes me sad. Just go to "latest activity" and look through the titles. Seriously, guys, if you are happy, excited, and positive this will be so much more fun! I also do WW to maintain, and those WW people really make me sad, as I feel they have little hope. Like the 600 pound guy who thinks he can "diet" off 400 pounds. Sorry dude, but it probably isn't going to happen. But WE have been given this gift, an amazing gift of a tool that WORKS. This healthy lifestyle thing is so much easier when we physically can't overeat. From your cheerleader Sharon. Get happy!

29. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Sharon,
    I stayed away for so long because of negative posts. It really goes to show that your head really has to be "in the game" to conquer weight loss. It's not just about the food and the surgery, mindset is critical. I just keep remembering what my surgeon said "The sleeve is not the miracle, you still have to do the work." So happy that all of my cheerleaders are still posting on a regular basis!

31. Said thanks: