Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: 6 Year Surgery Anniversary!

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Hi Sharon,
    I stayed away for so long because of negative posts. It really goes to show that your head really has to be "in the game" to conquer weight loss. It's not just about the food and the surgery, mindset is critical. I just keep remembering what my surgeon said "The sleeve is not the miracle, you still have to do the work." So happy that all of my cheerleaders are still posting on a regular basis!
    Looks like most people are staying away. Been super boring lately!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I see and hear it all the time where I work, "The surgery didn't work" and "I don't know why". Sure you do... You have to follow the guidelines and nobody said it's easy, but it's easier than being sick, overweight and unhappy. Excuses and negativity are counterproductive and after a while, you just want to shake people and say "Get with the program"...literally!

I too think this site is getting a little too negative and working in a baraiatric surgery department can be disappointing enough. When I see people come in for revisions and still not follow the guidelines, it kind of makes me angry for the people who would do well but don't have the insurance to cover the procedure or knowledge of how to proceed. I too am a cheerleader, but the cheering gets less and less rowdy as people get more and more complacent about the journey and take for granted it's a "miracle" and they will have to make no changes and the weight will fall off and stay off. That's not the case!

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but sometimes the challenge to change perceptions, behavior and ideas of patients is frustrating. I, however; will still continue to support each person's journey and try to provide enough encouragement, tools, support and opportunities for success because I personally know how wonderful life can be along this journey. Sharon, you keep on keeping on as your a wise woman with much to share along with many others

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    I see and hear it all the time where I work, "The surgery didn't work" and "I don't know why". Sure you do... You have to follow the guidelines and nobody said it's easy, but it's easier than being sick, overweight and unhappy. Excuses and negativity are counterproductive and after a while, you just want to shake people and say "Get with the program"...literally!

I too think this site is getting a little too negative and working in a baraiatric surgery department can be disappointing enough. When I see people come in for revisions and still not follow the guidelines, it kind of makes me angry for the people who would do well but don't have the insurance to cover the procedure or knowledge of how to proceed. I too am a cheerleader, but the cheering gets less and less rowdy as people get more and more complacent about the journey and take for granted it's a "miracle" and they will have to make no changes and the weight will fall off and stay off. That's not the case!

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but sometimes the challenge to change perceptions, behavior and ideas of patients is frustrating. I, however; will still continue to support each person's journey and try to provide enough encouragement, tools, support and opportunities for success because I personally know how wonderful life can be along this journey. Sharon, you keep on keeping on as your a wise woman with much to share along with many others
    Plus think how EASY the sleeve is compared to trying to just lose hundreds of pounds on your own. I always say unless you have complications, you have nothing to whine about. Just do what they tell you to and you will be successful! It has to be people with insurance, because with my out-of-pocket full payment you had bet I did and continue to follow every instruction.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

It's wild how fast this ride is, isn't it? It'll be 5 years for me in a couple of weeks, and it blows my mind. So happy for you that you've continued your success for so long, and are living your best life. I live vicariously through your hiking pictures, and always look forward to your many adventures. That safari!!! Keep being great!
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Some of us just stick around. I hope the ones who don't are busy with their amazing new lives and not regaining their weight. (I know Ann is traveling the world, looking georgeous!) I wonder the same thing at support group too, when someone I saw all the time disappears.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think I have any "real" world friends who are on this road. I do have a strong group of women friends, and of course, my good husband and adult children. But no one, absolutely NO ONE gets what it is like except the folks who stick around on the board.

I love the adventures and amazing life changes each of you share -- some amazing folks on here who are living life! I have new (not unexpected) health issues but am so grateful that the weight loss has minimized significantly the impact on my life. And seeing doctors, some for the first time, they don't know my "big" self, just see a person in reasonably good health with challenges. Hate to say it makes a difference, but it does.

My long time docs are tickled that after two years, I'm still "doing it". And yes, sraebaer, self-pay is a strong reason why. My "per pound price" was pretty costly and I'm grateful we could do it.

Hugs to each of you!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Annie, positive thoughts for a positive resolution to your current health issue. You are so correct about taking joy and pleasure in all the life changes that everyone shares and even though I work in a bariatric surgery department in a large hospital, I take joy in each and every joy people post and am motivated by all the positive life changes; including yours

15. Said thanks: