Surgeon
    Doc
    Last Activity
    06-13-2020 04:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 9 days post op, and miserable

My sleeve procedure was done nine days ago and I am absolutely miserable. Immediately upon waking in recovery, I felt like something was wrong. The pain that I felt did not feel comparable to the procedure I received. I actually even days later thought that perhaps a piece of gauze or something was left inside of me, the pain was so bad. I had an appointment a week out, and the PA told me the surgeon used a double anchor stitch (describing it like a chain link), actually putting a stitch through my abdominal wall. She described it, asking me to picture a fish hook, and when a fish is on the hook and it pulls against the hook, essentially that’s what’s happening every time I move and this stitch is being pulled from my abdomen. She told me I have two options, one to try to stretch as much as I can until I feel a ‘pop’, which will be the stitch popping from my muscle, and she told me I would feel immediate relief after that, or I would just have to wait for the stitch to dissolve. To say that this has been an excruciating experience would be an understatement. I have been on Level II narcotics since the day of my procedure, and I don’t see them stopping anytime soon. I am so upset, I’m drugged, and I am in pain. Every person I see of having this procedure talks about how little pain they have been in. I’m wondering if anyone has been in the situation?
    Signed, Desperate in Dallas
    VSG 09/18/2019

2. The following 9 users said welcome SkinnyPugLover to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Cardshark98's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    03/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sebesta
    Last Activity
    06-12-2022 11:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 9 days post op, and miserable

I had pain from the anchor stitch for about 3 weeks. I was okay when I was sleeping but was pretty uncomfortable during the day. I had to use pain medication a couple times a day during that time. I was told the same thing by the PA, that moving more would speed things up and the stitch would “pop” and i would feel better. I came home from my appointment that day and decided I might as well go clean my chicken coop out. Since the pain was not being caused by some complication, it was not going to clean itself. Sure enough after squatting up and down a few times cleaning the coop, i felt a”pop” and that constant pain was gone. I never had to take any pain medication after that. Since this I have heard similar stories from post sleeve patients.
    My husband is 14 days post op from his sleeve and only had to take medication for a few days and never had that pain. But there are a few of us out here. Sorry, it did suck. But I am 18 months out and with the exception of those first few weeks things have been great.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much pain. I had the same type of suture and yes, it was painful for me as well. I've had a few surgeries over the years and have never had to take narcotic pain medicine, but I did this time. It lasted for me for about 2 weeks, but in no way was it so unbearable that I wouldn't do it all over again x100! Hang in there, it does get better.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Getting better yet?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/18/2019
    Surgeon
    Doc
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Sadly no. Doc said it would take 4 weeks before the stitch began to dissolve. The past two days have been especially painful, so hopefully it’s because the stitch is pulling out of place and it will pop soon. It’s a sad day when you’re hoping for a popped stitch.
    VSG 09/18/2019

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So sorry! I must not have had that stitch. Hope it goes away soon!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/18/2019
    Surgeon
    Doc
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks. That was the purpose of my post more than anything, just see if anyone else had gone through this. I’m hearing so many people saying they were in little to no pain, while I’ve been in excruciating pain. Something just didn’t add up.
    VSG 09/18/2019

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry that you are feeling so miserable. I've not heard of the "Anchor Stitch". Pretty sure I didn't have one as my pain was minimal (sorry!)
    I wonder why it is put in if they advise you to try and "pop" it to relieve the pain? Seems slightly odd.
    I hope it resolves itself one way or the other soon.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/18/2019
    Surgeon
    Doc
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Well the PA told me the only way I would get relief would be to pop it, but that once I felt it pop the relief would be immediate. She told me that when I went in one week post-op because I was in so much pain and out of meds. Then I had my proper 2 week post-op appointment and I told the doc what the PA had advised and he said, “Ya, she’s right.” But this doc, while he was in the operating room with me that day, he was not the surgeon that morning. His explanation was that the anchor stitch must be ‘really tight’. I’m exhausted. I just need this to pass.
    VSG 09/18/2019

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/18/2019
    Surgeon
    Doc
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Just wanted to announce to anyone who may read this thread in the future: I was told by the PAs that it would take around 4 weeks before I found relief, and today marked 3w5d and it was the first time since my procedure that I was not in excruciating pain. It’s been a very, very difficult (nearly) 4 weeks and while I went ahead and took my pain meds today (primarily out of fear of the pain), I believe I am finally done. I am very thankful that I have a flexible schedule and work from home, because I don’t know how I could’ve functioned in a ‘typical’ career on the muscle relaxers and narcotics that have become a necessary component of my life over this past month. But alas, it appears to be over!! When I wake in the morning I will be drug free and can finally begin my life again.
    VSG 09/18/2019

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, so sorry you had to go through that! Hopefully, it has passed.

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Your comment about being on pain medication and not seeing yourself getting off is concerning. The pain medication can cause make you more depressed, anxious and for sure slows down progression. It's not to be used longer-term and seeing yourself as doing that is not a positive mind-set moving forward. Keep up the walking, sipping, and deep breathing; the stitch will heal and you'll feel better so concentrate on doing that. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's helpful to remain optimistic and positive from the start.
    I wish you continued success and hopefully you'll be more comfortable before you know it!