Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Naysayers

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Droege View Post
    After reading all these posts on sharing our surgery with others, I've decided only to tell a very select few. My husband will know of course but I may not even tell my sisters. I only see them 3-4 times a year, so it is doable. I finally had my apointment with the Nurse Practitioner and my husband came in the room with me. I wanted him to know every thing he can and also ask questions. If my EDG and UGI come out normal I still may have to see a nutrionist for 3-4 months before surgery, It all depends on what my insurance needs. That was very dissapointing. My husband was glad because he still thinks I can do this on my own without the tool of surgery. I am keeping a food diary now and I am putting my best self forward. All I know is that I decided not to spend the rest of my life in a unhealthy, uncomfortable body for many reasons on many levels. I will do whatever it takes.
    Seeing the nutritionist will be a great thing because you will have the tools to really be successful. It's a good thing! I did my research for the sleeve, I went with a doctor that one of my friends had gone to, and after I met him, I knew he and his team were for me. I didn't ask anyone's opinion about whether I should have the sleeve, I made the best choice for ME. I told my then husband and my 2 aunts and uncle one week before my surgery. I was not interested in anyone's opinions or feelings. I knew that living, or rather NOT living was something that I did not want to continue to do. No one understands how you feel better than YOU.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    T I have great insurance, but it has a specific "no bariatric surgery" clause. Sort of odd, as the medical problems caused by obesity would cost more over my lifetime than the surgery.
    It's like "big pharma" wants you to stay unhealthy to keep feeding you meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. Once you are sleeved, many of those problems dissipate. One of the reasons I wanted the sleeve was to head off those medical issues that are so prevalent in my family.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I am someone who shared, but that said, I was already retired so no co-workers or boss to consider. My family was so helpful because my health was so very poor. My friends were very supportive, albeit dubious. I think that's because I have always hung out with the older kids (which know means 70-87) since I'm 67. But they've all been tickled for me with the changes in size, health and most of all, the ability to be fully present in life and do things with them.

I do keep a journal; when I skip it, I start wandering off into less than healthy behaviors. I also have had, off and on, cognitive therapy over the years.

But as sraebaer said, I eat what I want, in small quantities. Some days I eat 3 small meals, some days I have 5 small more like snack meals. Just depends on how I feel. But protein first, and then the other things.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

My partner knew as I wanted him on board and involved form the get go (which he was), and then I only told my 3 best friends (for over 40 years) after I had the surgery. I knew they would be supportive which they were (and they still are). I didn't tell anyone else. I had heard some negative comments about someone I knew that had been sleeved and I didn't want any negativity around me.
    As I shrunk my partner was asked if I was ill (fair enough question as I did look totally different) and he always said that I was fine and that my weight loss was intentional.
    As I progressed I have been a little more open with some people if they have asked how I have lost so much weight - but there are some people that I will never tell!
    It's your business and entirely up to you if you choose to tell anyone or everyone.
    Having your partner support you is really important so hopefully they "see the light" and are there for you.