Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    12-23-2019 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Hello

Today I had my first appointment where I met my bariatric surgeon. This is the first day of my journey. I'm feeling excited because I just made the decision that this is what I want to do. Hopefully this will be the positive change that I need.
    I was given a list of things I have to do to that are required by my insurance, the hoops I need to jump through before I can be approved. I have to see a cardiologist, a pulmonologist, a psychologist, and 4 appointments with a dietition that are 30 days apart, so the surgery will most likely be sometime in January if all goes well. If any of them order additional tests or appointments, I have to comply or I won't be approved.They will notify me in 10 to 14 business days after everything is completed if I was approved.
    The cost for me will be my insurance deductible which is $3000. Insurance pays the rest. I have to pay copays for these other appointments at $45 a pop. The cost is a little more than I expected so that has me a little worried. I think it can be managed as long as the hubs is on board.
    As far as support, my husband says he will support me but time will tell. This is the guy who encourages me to eat when I'm not hungry, serves me food I didn't ask for and guilt trips me for rejecting food he offers. Imagine eating a salad when the family gets take out and have someone drop a burger in it or a chicken wing after you said no. I'm not saying this is the reason why I am obese but it certainly doesn't help. My kids couldn't care less so no support there, but that's ok. My father and sister are very critical of me and I think it would be best for me if I don't discuss my weight with them. I don't need that kind of negativity and I don't care to be gossiped about.
    As far as my desired outcome, I am hoping to lose 80-100 lbs but I expect the dietition or my doctor will help me set a target weight at a future appointment. I have osteoarthritis and suffer from pain in my back, hips ,and knees. I am hoping that losing the weight will help with the crushing pain I feel and slow the progression of it. I understand that this needs to be a permanent lifestyle change and I feel ready for it.
    Sorry my post was a little bit long, but I hope that telling my story will help someone who is thinking about doing this. I also hope to learn from those who are farther along in their journey. I look forward to discussing with you all the ups and downs and what to expect

2. The following 10 users said welcome Juliejulie15 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello

Hi, welcome here!
    You came to the right place for support and understanding.
    Please bare in mind you are doing this for yourself and nobody else.
    You have to make yourself the priority here.
    Choose what is right for you and all that.
    That is probably one of the most important things.
    You want to be healthy and fit again.
    No more pains and discomfort.
    That is something your hubby should understand and encourage you to achieve.

As for the rest of your family, that is not very important.
    I wouldn't even tell them about the surgery.

I hope you find a way to get what you want!
    Ask any questions you have, feel free to share your concerns.
    We understand just about everything.
    Good luck on this journey!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    12-23-2019 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate the support

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the group, and you will find lots of support here. I was self-pay (it was about $13,000 out of pocket) and I couldn't have done it financially without it being a supported decision. That said, paying for it certainly made me determined to succeed and to be faithful to the program.

I have found that regarding social temptations, whether family, friend or occasions, I remember to be kind to myself, to know that it's about the group and not about the food....but come here as often as you need support. Everyone is so helpful!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

7. Said thanks: