Surgeon
    Jan Cagas and Tomas Paseka
    Last Activity
    07-24-2020 11:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 3 1/2 weeks VSG issue

Hi guys, it’s been 3 1/2 weeks and we’ve been away for a week and I have been relaxed in what I have been towards my diet.

I have put on 1lb since Monday and am now worried that I have stretched my stomach? I listened to my stomach when it came to eating and feel I never over ate but am worried if maybe I did stretch it. Can you put weight on without stretching your stomach in this situation?

I think it was what I ate but I did choose most the time the better option, sometimes I slacked by having bread or some chocolate or sweets etc

I know I messed up but I am home now and more determined to be healthy and on the right track. I won’t let old habits return because I won’t be the old me.

Thankyou in advance for any helps tips and advice

John

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 1/2 weeks VSG issue

Don't worry, you can't stretch you stomach in 3,5 weeks.
    What you may notice is an increase in the amount of food you can eat, but that is due to fact that your sleeve swelling diminishes.
    But I would advice you to go for the things that you should eat: protein first, than (later on in the process) your veggies and then (much later on) some healthy carbs if you still have room.
    Eating sweets and chocolate with 3,5 weeks is nonsense, but that is my opinion.
    Go for nutrition, not filling...
    Your sleeve is the size of a pencil right now, so eat accordingly.
    You should be in the pureed stage now?
    Not sure how bread and chocolate fits into that...
    Use you honeymoon period wisely, this is where you can loose the most.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

No you didn't stretch your stomach. But at 3 1/2 weeks please follow the rules of what you should be eating, this first year (or less depending on how much you have to lose) is the honeymoon period where the weight just falls off without much work. I don't think it's time for bread or sweets.

Also don't worry about the pound, that's totally normal.

Good luck! It's really fun!

7. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Weight loss is not linear after the sleeve, no worries!
    I would gain 5 pounds before losing ten!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

It's tough when having a life presents us with some eating challenges...it really helped me to remember that I am there for the interaction with people, not the tasty deliciousness that got me to 100 lbs over weight.

Yes, I make exceptions now -- which I track for accountability. But early on, in the honeymoon, I did not. As a self pay patient, I am maybe overly aware of the family sacrifice for the money. Well worth.

Just move on, following your soft food stage like you most likely should be. You'll get there because its a journey, not a number!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    John S
    Surgery date
    08/20/2019
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thankyou guys, I had a good talk with my wife yesterday and spoke of where I went wrong the last week and what I was eating wrong etc

I am going to eat soft foods and not give in to temptation like before. I went out with some of the in laws family and they all had burgers chips pizza etc and I stick to a jacket potatoes and only ate roughly 150grams of potato and beans.

I am chasing my nutritionist to get a good healthy and productive plan in place so I won’t have to do this alone.

I won’t be defeated by a little bad period of bad choices. Your right guys, it’s a big sacrifice not only in physically due to the stomach taken away and the mental aspects of it. Also there’s the financial cost to consider, seeing as it’s not a cheap fix.

It takes a big decision, brave as well to have the procedure done. Any of the bariatric surgeries too, I am proud of you all for taking the bull by the horns!!!

Rant over and out!!

Regards
    John

12. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Beans and potatoes aren't considered high-protein foods. Please be sure you're eating a high protein food first with every meal, then veggies, then good carbs if room. (I don't know what jacket potatoes are).

Here's my diet progression if it helps. Best of luck to you, sounds like you are committed to success!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Thankyou guys, I had a good talk with my wife yesterday and spoke of where I went wrong the last week and what I was eating wrong etc

I am going to eat soft foods and not give in to temptation like before. I went out with some of the in laws family and they all had burgers chips pizza etc and I stick to a jacket potatoes and only ate roughly 150grams of potato and beans.

I am chasing my nutritionist to get a good healthy and productive plan in place so I won’t have to do this alone.

I won’t be defeated by a little bad period of bad choices. Your right guys, it’s a big sacrifice not only in physically due to the stomach taken away and the mental aspects of it. Also there’s the financial cost to consider, seeing as it’s not a cheap fix.

It takes a big decision, brave as well to have the procedure done. Any of the bariatric surgeries too, I am proud of you all for taking the bull by the horns!!!

Rant over and out!!

Regards
    John
    Oh my -- potatoes and beans are still not a good choice for you, now or long term. Please
    General guidelines
    • Eat 6 small liquid and puréed meals each day.
    Eat protein first to help your body heal.
    We
    recommend eating 8 servings each day from the milk or meat group or 60 to 80 grams of
    protein a day. Read Nutrition Facts food labels on food products to learn the protein content
    of foods.
    • Add one solid food item at one meal the first day then add one more solid food each day. All
    new foods should be soft, cooked or canned. Avoid all raw fruit, raw vegetables, nuts, seeds,
    popcorn and pickles.
    • Chew food well, so it is almost liquid before you swallow. Each bite should be smaller than a
    dime.
    • Continue to eat small amounts slowly. Eat about 2 tablespoons over 10 to 15 minutes.
    • Stop eating when your stomach feels full.
    • Keep sugar and sugar alcohols to less than 10 grams per meal or snack.
    • Record all new foods and any problems you have. Bring this with you to your next
    appointment with your doctor and dietitian.
    • Begin lifelong vitamin and mineral supplements as recommended by clinic staff. These may
    include:
    Ì 2 complete multivitamins.
    Ì 500 mcg vitamin B12 dissolved under the tongue (sublingual).
    Ì 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium citrate each day. Remember to take calcium citrate at least
    two hours before or after taking other supplements.
    • Drink 6 to 8, 8-ounce cups of water or other low-calorie fluids between meals. Take
    comfortable sips. Avoid taking large gulps or drinking too fast.
    • Avoid beverages that have alcohol, caffeine or carbonation.
    • It is better to have a place to eat, such as the kitchen table, and to avoid reading or watching
    TV while you eat. This helps you to enjoy your food, to concentrate on eating slower and to
    realize when your stomach is full
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I ate a lot of Greek Yogurt, and some other great protein packed recipes that I found on the Baritastic app. Please take a look at the app, and you will find great options for the different food phases. I agree with everyone above, take advantage of the first year, it is the honeymoon phase, and you will lose the most weight. My weight loss stopped after 6 months, and I have basically maintained since then. Good luck, you will do great!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    John S
    Surgery date
    08/20/2019
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

I have read that dietary plan and taken on board the changes I need to make. I am still chasing up my referral to a dietician to also assist me but I am feeling more positive in the direction I have taken with all the new advice and tips from you amazing and wonderful people.

Let the honeymoon period continue and be good.

I start work end of this week and hopefully that will help e balance myself too and be slightly active aswell.

Thankyou so much everyone I truelly am thankful for the time you’ve taken to help advise me and tips given too

John

19. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I have read that dietary plan and taken on board the changes I need to make. I am still chasing up my referral to a dietician to also assist me but I am feeling more positive in the direction I have taken with all the new advice and tips from you amazing and wonderful people.

Let the honeymoon period continue and be good.

I start work end of this week and hopefully that will help e balance myself too and be slightly active aswell.

Thankyou so much everyone I truelly am thankful for the time you’ve taken to help advise me and tips given too

John
    With that attitude you'll do great!