Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-26-2019 11:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Cannot break a 1 1/2 year long plateau

Hi,
    I had surgery in Mexico in 2017 and stalled out at 5 months and never got going again. I only lost 50 lbs total and feel like a failure.....
    I was never provided a nutritionist and only got the post op diet plan when I was sent home. Was there a nutritionist we were supposed to work with? I tried working with a nutritionist back home, but I have the worst luck with nutritionists/dieticians.... I always seem to pick out the mean ones who don't care and don't listen, so I've been just struggling through on my own. I'm waiting on a referral to our city's revision clinic to try and get some counselling/nutrition help, but it is a very long wait. I try to stay at about 1200 - 1400 calories/day and I try to get protein and veg in every meal. I'd be lying if I said there has been no cheating, but for the most part, I do not think that I am overeating. I stop eating as soon as I start to feel full. I never get dumping, but I will get gas pain or bloating if I eat too much.

For breakfast, I usually eat an egg and bacon with a slice of toast (weekend), or a protein shake or overnight oats with protein powder mixed in. Coffee with almond milk for coffee or cream and sweetener.

For lunch, I usually have leftover protein from dinner, and cucumbers, or other mixed veggies; or a bowl of soup and crackers, or occasionally eat out for a burger or whatever. Sometimes I'll have a snack of cheese or yogurt or a granola bar. Sometimes its not so healthy like popcorn or chips etc. Not every week though.... sometimes I just get discouraged and give up and eat whatever I want... It makes my tummy hurt a lot, so not too much.

Dinner is salmon, chicken, ground beef etc., with veggies. Sometimes rice or bread or pasta or chips, not always (maybe once or twice a week, if that). Coke zero or water or juice or tea.

Dessert or snacks, not everyday, but sometimes almonds, sesame snacks, applesauce, cheese, ice cream or a cookie. I try to stay around 1200-1400 calories/day.

Right now I'm not able to work out a lot due to chronic pain and back issues. I try to walk and swim when I can, but I haven't been able to get back into my normal routine since the new year when I was doing cardio/strength training 3-4 times a week.

I would have thought that as time went on and I couldn't eat like I used to, that I would still lose weight and it would help with the chronic pain and I would be able to add some workouts in, but that has not been the case. Depression is not helping. Just the fact that I cannot eat as much should equal weight loss, no? Once I am able to get more weight off, I was hoping that would help with the pain and the discomfort of working out. But I just couldn't handle the weeks of muscle pain after working out and trying to push through hoping the pain/discomfort would get better. Now I am just scared to start with the weights again. Walking is off and on depending on how my back is feeling.

It is very discouraging and I dont know how to fix it. I have started a keto plan this week to see if I can get the weight loss started again. My doctor said to try keto because some patients see better luck with diets like that after going thru this type of surgery.

Sorry to be a downer, I just dont know what to do at this point. I did start the keto, so I hope it works well, but I'm struggling with feelings of giving up again.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot break a 1 1/2 year long plateau

I'm sure someone will have good advice -- yes, I had a plan when I got home, but my bariatric guy is literally 5 minutes away.

If you look at Ann2 profile, she has her first 3 years and she's had long term success. Hang in!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Your daily meal plan sounds quite similar to mine. Sorry to say in Mexico you don't get any follow up. Do you have a Primary Care Physician who could help, even refer you to a nutritionist? My PCP knows a lot about the sleeve, she does all my bloodwork, etc. (I was self pay and can't go back to the bariatric clinic, unless I want to pay on my own.)

Are you close to goal?

For me, when I had a gain after maintaining for quite a while, I joined Weight Watchers. Now someone just yelled at me (called me condescending and mean) for mentioning WW, so I'm just telling you something that worked for me personally. I hope you hear many other ideas here.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Your daily meal plan sounds quite similar to mine. Sorry to say in Mexico you don't get any follow up. Do you have a Primary Care Physician who could help, even refer you to a nutritionist? My PCP knows a lot about the sleeve, she does all my bloodwork, etc. (I was self pay and can't go back to the bariatric clinic, unless I want to pay on my own.)

Are you close to goal?

For me, when I had a gain after maintaining for quite a while, I joined Weight Watchers. Now someone just yelled at me (called me condescending and mean) for mentioning WW, so I'm just telling you something that worked for me personally. I hope you hear many other ideas here.
    You're kidding?????

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Personally, sometimes when it seems like we're not really doing that badly in the eating department, we usually are. With that said, I would say to make sure that you are eating your protein first and if you have room, move on to your veggies. Make sure that you weigh and measure your foods. Like sraebaer, I also went to Weight Watchers when I started to gain, this is certainly an option for you since they follow the same bariatric premise that we follow. Good Luck to you.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your post, your situation is similar to my own. I lost 75 pounds in the firs 5 months, and then stopped losing. Right now I am up and down with the same 5-10 pounds. They only thing that I have found to help me, is a lower carb diet, high in protein and vegetables. I also track my food on my Fitness Pal. As soon as I stop doing this, my weight starts going up again. I am almost 2 years out now, and was hoping to be around 170, but I am at 200. I refuse to give up, I just need to keep reminding myself, it is a long term lifestyle change. You can do this.... just keep posting, and reaching out for support on this site.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/21/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Are you close to goal?

Thank you. My doctor is pretty good and understanding, but I dont think she is really what I need right now. I think I need a hormone workup - not just my usual thyroid check and iron check. The nutritionist aspect is fleeting.... I'm usually a pretty strong gal, but the nutritionists that I have seen over the years were just mean. They didnt seem to understand anything about my personal struggles and just thought, to quote one to my husband, "give her an apple and take her for a walk". (I wish I could forget that memory!) Weight Watchers sounds like a good idea though. I think it would be much more supportive.
    I am not close to goal unfortunately. I still hover around 230 and want to be at 170 or so ultimately.
    I seem to be having a bunch of water weight loss so far on keto (day 4 LOL) so I'll see how this goes for me after 4 weeks. I'm hoping that just a small weight loss will be enough to relieve some back pain so I can at least start walking more consistently.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/21/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ilakim View Post
    Thank you for your post, your situation is similar to my own. I lost 75 pounds in the firs 5 months, and then stopped losing. Right now I am up and down with the same 5-10 pounds. They only thing that I have found to help me, is a lower carb diet, high in protein and vegetables. I also track my food on my Fitness Pal. As soon as I stop doing this, my weight starts going up again. I am almost 2 years out now, and was hoping to be around 170, but I am at 200. I refuse to give up, I just need to keep reminding myself, it is a long term lifestyle change. You can do this.... just keep posting, and reaching out for support on this site.
    Thank you. I havent really used this group too much, I felt like I failed. Thanks for sharing your similar experience.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kevin Timytz
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

You have not failed, just think about how far you have come! Focus on the positive, you lost 50 pounds, that is amazing! I think Weight Watchers is a great idea, because they can provide a supportive environment, with encouragement. And you can curtail weight watchers to you lifestyle, which is great! Either way, start tracking your calories, and protein, back to the basics. I think it will help you so much, you got this!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Tracy,

I was also a slow loser and reaching my surgeon's target weight took me two years. My surgeon used to say : the sleeve will do the work the first year, but only a clean diet will do the job after, to continue to lose, or just maintain...he was so right!

From my own experience (and knowledge, I followed the training to be State nutritionist) here is my advice.

- get a real idea of what need to be lost : a Dexa scan can tell much more than any BMI chart since body composition can be really different from one person to an other

- read the book from Dr Fung Obesity code. It will give you really good knowledge to understand why obesity is hormonal and not just a question of calories. For some people like me (insulin resistant and I had gestational diabetes) too much carb (over 50gr!) which would be little for others could put me in stalls for months.
    What I did learn in my nut curriculum actually doesn't work for me! ironic but true...

So try to limit any sweetener (even artificial sweetener will raise your insulin levels and has to be avoided) and cut the juice and have a real fruit instead, because fibers will lower the carb level, plus there is more vitamins. Juice is like having liquid sugar...low carb can really help with stalls, plus when you eat low carb you are less hungry.
    I did limit fruits. You wrote about gas and bloating, it can come from fermentation in your intestine, coming from carbs and fruits. That's why if you eat fruits it's better not to eat it after a meal.
    Snack should be avoided if possible....raise the insulin too...

Try to exercise more, just walking can do the trick, it will help with building up muscles, get a higher BMR. I have several medical issues (back , knees) and sometimes was stuck for weeks, so I took omega 3 to lower inflammation, and turmeric to help, and sometimes after a 3 weeks break I would go back to walk everyday, going from one mile to five per day in a few weeks. Little by little each day you can get your body back.

Your doctor is right about Keto, because that should help you big time. I do not follow low carb high fat because moderate fat work better for me....just try and watch....

Finally, look at how you feel, not only the scale. At some point I was not losing weight but losing pants sizes. Was weird but I guess I was building muscles.

And most important, be kind with yourself. There is no such thing as "cheat days" there is only life, weddings and birthdays and our culture it that any celebration is linked to food; too bad for us obese, but if you don't stress about it and just have the occasional treat, and a small portion of it, you will be fine. Nobody can say "I'm low carb 100% of the time" or they are just plain liars...

Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I would also suggest a tracker like My Fitness Pal and measuring/weighing all your portions. Sometimes we are eating more than we think. I would also suggest staying with the Keto for a while. I know many non sleeved people who have lost a ton doing Keto. If you can tolerate that diet, then I say go for it and give it a chance to work. When I need to lose a few pounds I always have to revert to low carb. Seems to be the only thing that works for me. Definitely focus on your protein and hydration. Good luck to you. We all want to see you reach your goals.

22. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracylee View Post
    Thank you. I havent really used this group too much, I felt like I failed. Thanks for sharing your similar experience.
    No way have you failed. We are all in the same boat! This has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, and even after 6 years I am learning this lesson. Even after 6 years I struggle. There may be some perfect people out there but I'm not one of them.

24. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    You're kidding?????
    I wish! I tried to explain that this board is made up of thousands of INDIVIDUALS who all have something that worked for them. Weight Watchers probably sounds crazy to most of the people here, but it has worked for some of us in the maintenance phase. I said if you don't like someone's advice, just scroll on and ignore it, more advice will come along. Different things work for different people. But then I never heard from her again.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Different things work for different people.
    The whole point of being on this forum is to learn from each other's experiences. If people jump at your throat because you shared your positive experience, they just didn't get the point of what we are doing here.

I personally don't like WW that much because I tried it twice and always failed and I see it more like a business with lots of march (and lots of the food "ready to eat" they offer in supermarkets is not what I would eat, lots of fake sweetener etc but that's just me)......BUT it's for sure a good way to lose weight, have support, learn about portion control, nutrition etc... and it worked for you recently so why not try for those who need it??

You did the right thing sharing a positive experience and should do it again when people ask for advice!! you've been successful with it so here is the proof!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

27. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    The whole point of being on this forum is to learn from each other's experiences. If people jump at your throat because you shared your positive experience, they just didn't get the point of what we are doing here.

I personally don't like WW that much because I tried it twice and always failed and I see it more like a business with lots of march (and lots of the food "ready to eat" they offer in supermarkets is not what I would eat, lots of fake sweetener etc but that's just me)......BUT it's for sure a good way to lose weight, have support, learn about portion control, nutrition etc... and it worked for you recently so why not try for those who need it??

You did the right thing sharing a positive experience and should do it again when people ask for advice!! you've been successful with it so here is the proof!
    I agree 100%! I'm only using WW to maintain, I tried to use it zillions of times to lose and the weight always came back. And I'm only saying it works for ME. This board is a great place to hear what works for everyone!