Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 2 Year Surgiversary

Gosh, time flies when you are having fun.

I was just replying to a thread and I realised that I am a few days away from my 2 year surgiversary.
    Sometimes it seems like only yesterday and other days it is but a distant memory.
    My new life has become a habit and I can't imagine how I used to live.

I have lost over half my pre-op body weight and have been maintaining steadily since the beginning of the year.

Sometimes I stop and wonder how I ever functioned with an extra 63 kilos (139 pounds) on my body. How did I ever move? Certainly not fast that's for sure ;-). I remember struggling to walk up a flight of stairs that now I can run up. I remember having very little choice of clothing, and what was available was not very fashionable. I remember sitting and watching my grandchildren play - now I'm the one running around playing with them. I remember eating large quantities of not very good food and not even enjoying it. I remember sitting around the house where now I walk every day after work and go to yoga class twice a week.

My life is different in so many ways. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to have this life changing surgery.

I know that my work will have to continue for the rest of my life. I will need to be mindful of what (and how much) I eat. I need to keep taking my vitamins. I need to concentrate on eating my protein first. I need to keep hydrated. I keep a food diary both written and on an app. I weigh and measure my food and I weigh myself every day. This is what I do to keep myself accountable. It won't necessarily work for every one. Having said that if I want to have some ice cream, or chocolate, or whatever, I will have it. But it is a taste these days and not every day, not even every week or month!

On Saturday my partner and I are heading off to Italy for five weeks. 24 hours on a plane pre-op would have been torturous. Now it still won't be pretty but I will certainly be way more comfortable. We are planning on walking a lot while we are away and we also hope to do the "Walk of the Gods" while we are on the Amalfi Coast. 1700 steps to get up to the track and 1500 to get back down. I would NEVER have even contemplated this pre-op. Now I am looking forward to it.

To the veterans that keep us all grounded - thank you. You guys are the best!

To those just starting out on your journey - you can do it.....and you will be amazed at just how wonderful you life will be.

To those thinking about surgery - only you know if it is right for you. For me it is the single best thing that I have ever done for myself. I only wish that I had been able to have the surgery years ago.

Thank you to everyone on this forum. You all truly understand what it is like - before and after.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Default Re: 2 Year Surgiversary

Way to go Lisa! Your post has inspired me to keep on moving along even though I’m on a weeks long stall. I can’t wait to celebrate my one year surgiversary next year. Have fun in Italy, it sounds fabulous!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kristen NZ's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/22/2019
    Surgeon
    Mark Smith
    Last Activity
    03-29-2020 07:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Thanks for this post Lisa - it might sound like a lot to track and weigh etc but how much time did we spend thinking about our weight before the op and feeling defeated by it? Probably a lot more time than it takes to keep track of everything now. I am just starting out on my post surgery journey but I'm feeling really positive and I do feel very inspired by you KiwiGal and the other members on this forum.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

LISA - congratulations! I am right behind you with 2 years on 10/5

You've been such a joy, support - friend! I cannot imagine succeeding on the journey without your bon company! Hugs and fun on your travels.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

What a beautiful post. It really is a blessing to have this tool which has changed our lives! I remember thinking I would never be 'happy' again before I got the sleeve, now I feel like nothing is impossible.

You've done such a great job and are a real inspiration here, thanks for sharing and have fun on your trip.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So happy for you, turning your life around! Enjoy that vacation, it sounds fabulous! And I sat in an economy middle seat all the way from Amsterdam to Tanzania, totally comfortable. (Helps that I'm short!). When you go on a vacation knowing you'll be active, it's a win-win.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your 2-year surgiversary!
    Yes, time really does fly...
    I am so happy for you that your life has changed for the good in so many ways.
    Isn't it amazing?
    You sound so happy!

I am also one of the people, that weighs or measure their food.
    I also still keep track in MFP.
    I also still weigh myself daily.
    It's my way of being in control of my food, instead of always having had the opposite.
    Very liberating.

I hope you have a lovely vacation in Italy, I am sure you will enjoy every moment!
    xoxo
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Continued success, Lisa, you're a shining example of diligence, dedication and determination to "stay the course" on this amazing journey we all call "bariatric surgery". Maintenance is a challenge at best, but finding your way to success is admirable! Thanks for sharing it with us

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy, happy, joy, joy!! I cannot believe it has been 2 years already Lisa. Time has truly flown by. I am fast approaching my 3 year and almost can't remember life pre op. Have so much fun in Italy. That is my home and I miss it every day. I ate like crazy when I was there 2 years ago but did so much walking that I had no issues. Gained only 2 lbs in almost 3 weeks but that was mostly from being constipated. LOL. Have a great time and enjoy every minute of it.

19. Said thanks: