Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    Today 06:41 AM
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    359
    Said "Thanks" 543 Times
    Was Thanked 235 Times in 185 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

    Default Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Hi guys, I just wanted to ask any of you others experienced hair loss after the sleeve? I am 3 1/2 months out and I am losing a ton of hair. I know that it happens and honestly I can accept that for the weight loss. Not complaining, I was just wondering how long you lose for and does it come back to normal? Is there anything that can help? I do take Biotin along with my other vitamins.



  2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  3. #2
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dutchie's Avatar
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Activity
    Today 02:07 AM
    Posts
    1,466
    Said "Thanks" 1,174 Times
    Was Thanked 1,202 Times in 783 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 360 Times
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Don't panic, keep breathing...
    Yes it happens to almost everybody, as you know.
    Some loose a lot, some less.
    There is no way of telling how much it is going to be.
    All you can do is ride it out.
    My hair loss lasted from month 4-ish till month 10-ish.
    I would say I lost about the average amount, but it all came back.
    But it can be a little scary, I agree.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.



  4. Said thanks:


  5. #3
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    Today 06:41 AM
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    359
    Said "Thanks" 543 Times
    Was Thanked 235 Times in 185 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Don't panic, keep breathing...
    Yes it happens to almost everybody, as you know.
    Some loose a lot, some less.
    There is no way of telling how much it is going to be.
    All you can do is ride it out.
    My hair loss lasted from month 4-ish till month 10-ish.
    I would say I lost about the average amount, but it all came back.
    But it can be a little scary, I agree.
    Thanks Dutchie, I really wasn't sure how many people lost a noticeable amount of hair. Good to know it's not uncommon. I can ride it out no problem, a small sacrifice for all the other benefits of the sleeve.



  6. #4
    Gastric Sleeve Member Mmeghan's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 09:30 PM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    87
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    It started for me probably 2-3 months after and lasted maybe 2 months. I don’t have bald patches or anything crazy. It’s just a little bit thinner. Nothing I can’t deal with.



  7. Said thanks:


  8. #5
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandra3's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 09:46 AM
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,354
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 1,061 Times in 747 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 478 Times
    Blog Entries
    62

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Most people lose hair with diet, surgery etc, the amount of hair is mainly linked to your genetic.

    I lost a lot until month 4 or 5. Was taking lots of biotin, stopped it because I saw no hair growing on my head but some growing on my chin!!
    Also, I really lose my hair with everything, but the worth is always anemia. Even if it's just my Ferritin on the low side and not my HB yet, still, losing my hair!!

    My hair was noticeable stronger around month 9 post sleeve. Recently I had two surgeries, one in March one in June, lost lots of hair each time, but not for long (thanks iron infusion!!)
    No worries, it will grow back. I got short hair around 18 months out, looked so much better!!


    HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

  9. Said thanks:


  10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  11. #6
    Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieG's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Activity
    10-10-2019 12:46 PM
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,277
    Said "Thanks" 3,045 Times
    Was Thanked 1,006 Times in 652 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    Hi guys, I just wanted to ask any of you others experienced hair loss after the sleeve? I am 3 1/2 months out and I am losing a ton of hair. I know that it happens and honestly I can accept that for the weight loss. Not complaining, I was just wondering how long you lose for and does it come back to normal? Is there anything that can help? I do take Biotin along with my other vitamins.
    Yes I lost a lot of hair, about the same time as you -- more from the actual surgery (anesthesia) than the sleeve procedure. I had prevo0us hair loss experience with chemo, so I just buzzed mine and got some cut fun, easy wigs...and it's back.

    I did cut it short, and now I'm going to let it grow back out a bit! But yes, totally worth it!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs

    1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4
    3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL)
    1 YR = 122.0 20 MO = 130.0

  12. Said thanks:


  13. #7
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    Today 06:41 AM
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    359
    Said "Thanks" 543 Times
    Was Thanked 235 Times in 185 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Most people lose hair with diet, surgery etc, the amount of hair is mainly linked to your genetic.

    I lost a lot until month 4 or 5. Was taking lots of biotin, stopped it because I saw no hair growing on my head but some growing on my chin!!
    Also, I really lose my hair with everything, but the worth is always anemia. Even if it's just my Ferritin on the low side and not my HB yet, still, losing my hair!!

    My hair was noticeable stronger around month 9 post sleeve. Recently I had two surgeries, one in March one in June, lost lots of hair each time, but not for long (thanks iron infusion!!)
    No worries, it will grow back. I got short hair around 18 months out, looked so much better!!
    Thanks for reply, I might have to cut mine shorter as well. Right know it's very long, but I notice it thinning more at the top and crown area. Good to hear most people had it grow back fairly quickly. Right now I've been sporting a ponytail in this heat anyway.



  14. #8
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    Today 06:41 AM
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    359
    Said "Thanks" 543 Times
    Was Thanked 235 Times in 185 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Yes I lost a lot of hair, about the same time as you -- more from the actual surgery (anesthesia) than the sleeve procedure. I had prevo0us hair loss experience with chemo, so I just buzzed mine and got some cut fun, easy wigs...and it's back.

    I did cut it short, and now I'm going to let it grow back out a bit! But yes, totally worth it!
    Annie, you always look good gorgeous in your pics, so it hasn't been noticeable to my eye. It makes me feel a better knowing others have had some loss, but that it grows back normally. Small price to pay!



  15. #9
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Posts
    5,169
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,937 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries
    97

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    The statistics say it happens to about 40% of sleevers. I was one. My hair got thin. You could see where the regrowth was by the baby hairs. I used the biotin pills and also there was a spray I had bought at Walmart. It seemed to help. It won't stop it but will help with the regrowth. My hair is back to normal but it took a while. I never went bald or had bald spots. It just got thin. I cut it short and styled with wax in a messy style to mask it a bit. That helped. It is not forever. Hang in there.



  16. Said thanks:


  17. #10
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 04:35 PM
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    135
    Said "Thanks" 121 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    YES! I HAVE HAIR LOSS! I knew to expect it based on all the posts I’ve read, but it was still a shock to see all the hair in the brush each time. My hairdresser says my hair is still thick enough but she noticed it right away at my last appointment. My hair is long and (was) thick. Even when my weight was at its highest, I got compliments daily on my “beautiful hair” and felt like it was the definition of me. I’ve never had it cut short before and I’m dealing with enough change as it is. I’ve stopped using hairdryers and flat irons, started taking biotin and I will pray it’s over soon. It is a small sacrifice, but it doesn’t lessen the feelings of vulnerability.



  18. Said thanks:


  19. #11
    Gastric Sleeve Member WANAGL's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Activity
    09-09-2019 07:14 AM
    Location
    Hampton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 907 Times in 688 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Hair loss happens...for some it’s more pronounced. It will grow back! I promise! ;-)

    With all the trauma I experienced, I lost A TON of hair. I actually lost HUGE patches :-((

    My hairdresser recommended Nioxin 4...shampoo, conditioner and leave-in along with MEGA doses of biotin (100 mgs per day). My Dr recommended a hot drink daily of unflavored gelatin mixed into watered down lemon crystal light.

    It took time and dedication. It all worked.

    Some cut their hair short until it rights itself. I didn’t. I waited it out. I’m glad I did.

    One Day At A Time...it gets better as long as I’m willing to put forth my effort. ;-)



  20. Said thanks:


  21. #12
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 09:46 AM
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    102
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 101 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    For me I started losing hair in month 3 and it continued until the 5th month. I noticed losing hair while taking a shower. I followed my doctors advice and took my bariatric vitamins supplemented with extra biotin. By my 6th month I stopped losing any hair and most of it started to grow back. Since I'm a guy I just wore my golf hats a little more often. It is more of a sensitive issue for the ladies but for me was a great tradeoff. Work through it and you'll be OK.



  22. Said thanks:


  23. #13
    Gastric Sleeve Member NellyBelly's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/05/2018
    Surgeon
    dr.Hjortur Gislason
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Activity
    10-08-2019 04:30 PM
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    10
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    I do too. I am 9 months out and I have been loosing hair for at least 6 months now. A lot. I think about half of my hair. I am not joking... But, I had really, really thick hair (lots) before surgery, and no one would know unless they know how it was before. But I shed hair everywhere, and every morning when I comb it it falls off tons. Still. I hope it will soon stop. And I am sure it eventually will.

    Good luck with your hair loss.



  24. Said thanks:


  25. #14
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    Today 06:41 AM
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    359
    Said "Thanks" 543 Times
    Was Thanked 235 Times in 185 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheeel21 View Post
    For me I started losing hair in month 3 and it continued until the 5th month. I noticed losing hair while taking a shower. I followed my doctors advice and took my bariatric vitamins supplemented with extra biotin. By my 6th month I stopped losing any hair and most of it started to grow back. Since I'm a guy I just wore my golf hats a little more often. It is more of a sensitive issue for the ladies but for me was a great tradeoff. Work through it and you'll be OK.
    My ponytail is your golf hat LOL. I am taking my vitamins and extra biotin too, so hopefully it'll taper off soon. Thanks and congratulations on the great job you've done with your sleeve.



  26. Said thanks:


  27. #15
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Activity
    Today 06:41 AM
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    359
    Said "Thanks" 543 Times
    Was Thanked 235 Times in 185 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

    Default Re: Goodness, I'm losing A LOT of hair!

    Quote Originally Posted by NellyBelly View Post
    I do too. I am 9 months out and I have been loosing hair for at least 6 months now. A lot. I think about half of my hair. I am not joking... But, I had really, really thick hair (lots) before surgery, and no one would know unless they know how it was before. But I shed hair everywhere, and every morning when I comb it it falls off tons. Still. I hope it will soon stop. And I am sure it eventually will.

    Good luck with your hair loss.
    I have LOTS of baby fine hair. It's the shedding that is driving me the most nutty. I literally have long, blonde hairs all over my clothes, car, everything. Gah! Somebody is always pulling hair off of my clothes, it's embarrassing.

    The good news is most of people have responded that it grew back in normally, so I am okay dealing with it in the interim. Good luck to you as well. Congrats on your amazing weight loss BTW.



  28. Said thanks:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •