Surgeon
    Dr Mario Morales
    Last Activity
    04-27-2020 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Red face On the Threshhold of the big decision ~>

Hi , I have been reading this Gastric Sleeve forum for a couple of weeks, so I feel that I need to come out of hiding and introduce myself. I am seriously considering this surgery but am just starting the process. I have my first Dr. appointment with Dr. Mario Morales (St Louis, Mo) on Sept 30th. The reason I am hesitant is due to the fact that I had a failed lap band for 8 yrs and it was removed 4 yrs ago. I will have to have tests to make sure that there is no damage that will interfere with another surgery. Some days I am very anxious and sure that I want this surgery, and other days I am on the fence. Most days I am very excited and wish it was done yesterday. I love hearing all the success stories. It is very inspiring and gives me much Hope for my future.
    Thank you for this forum,,,,,Bonnie

2. The following 13 users said welcome Bonnie D. to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Threshhold of the big decision ~>

Hi Bonnie, welcome!
    This is an exciting time for you.
    I hope the tests will give you some clarity in the decision making process.
    I never had a lap band, so I can't help you out with that, but there are some people here, that did change from lap band to sleeve.
    I am sure you will hear from them.
    Read all you can and ask us anything you want to know.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome Bonnie!

It’s perfectly normal to feel anxious one moment and excited the next. Sometimes I had to remind myself to just...BREATHE. LOL

This is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. My only regret is that I waited.

I hope you get a positive response re: test results. I’m sure you’ll hear from others on the forum with lap band to VSG experiences.

I wish you all the best ;-)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Welcome, I like to remember that knowledge is power, so the more you know, the better prepared you will be. I don't have any experience with the lap band, but like Dutchie mentioned, there are some posters who have.

Best of luck on your tests and I hope you make the best choice for yourself whatever that might be.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burpee (that's right)
    Last Activity
    01-02-2021 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 146 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Welcome Bonnie! It IS a big decision and your hesitation is certainly understandable. I don’t pretend to know much about lap bands, but for what it’s worth my surgeon quit doing them some time back because so many people have had problems. Best of luck in whatever your final decision is.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Bonnie and welcome.

I think there are a couple of forum members who have had a lap band revision. I'm sure they will be along to help soon.

For me being sleeved is the single best thing that I have ever done for myself.
    I hope all goes well with your journey.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/12/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Morales
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times

Thank you all so much for your helpful and welcoming responses. I can see that you are a close, caring family. No one can understand unless they have walked in your shoes ~ we have walked in the same shoes in more ways than not.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Droege View Post
    Thank you all so much for your helpful and welcoming responses. I can see that you are a close, caring family. No one can understand unless they have walked in your shoes ~ we have walked in the same shoes in more ways than not.
    We sure are and we sure have...

We’re like the survivors of a shipwreck, grateful we made it to shore together, holding each other tightly ;-)

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Hi Bonnie and welcome! I had my Lap-Band placed 12-2009. I lost all my weight in just over 1 year but then slowly started to gain it back. I dealt with nausea/vomiting, reflux, trouble breathing and a dilated esophagus. The constant trips to adjust the band was awful. The Lap-Band was very popular until a few years ago but about a third of those patients now require additional surgery to lose weight, because there has been a loosening or slipping of the band over time which is exactly what happened to me. In addition, weight loss tends to be temporary – 6-12 months is typical. In the end, I weighed 20lb more than when I first had the band placed. Remember that Lap-Bands do not last forever. Because the post-market studies submitted by the makers of Lap-Band ended after only five years, we don’t know exactly how long Lap-Bands last. Many patients do not keep their Lap-Bands for 10 years, either because they stopped losing weight or had complications, such as the band slipping or deteriorating. Researchers at the European School of Laparoscopic Surgery studied patients with gastric banding devices for 12 years. They found that more than one-fourth of patients had their bands wear out, and half of the patients had their bands removed. Each additional surgery, whether to take a band out or replace it, is an added risk. Even patients with good experiences will eventually need it removed (and replaced, if the patient wants it to be). Fast forward to 2019 and I had my VSG done 3/27 and so far it’s been going great! My Lap-Band was removed and the VSG performed all in one surgery. If there is extensive scar tissue, however, it is often better to let that heal and then proceed with a sleeve or bypass a few months later. My surgeon did say that I would lose weight at a slower pace after having the band as compared to other gastric surgery patients so it is a little frustrating at times. But I would still make the same decision to have the VSG. With the band I stopped feeling my restriction so I overate and with the VSG the restriction is always there (though I have read that research shows two years after your surgery your stomach can double in size and if you consistently overeat you can stretch your pouch). For pre-op, I had to have an upper GI done to make sure there was no erosion caused by the band, but no other invasive tests were required. About 20% of patients who get a sleeve have reflux after but my reflux has disappeared completely. I am on a PPI for 6 months and Ursodiol which is prescribed for obese patients undergoing rapid weight loss to prevent gallstone formation. With the exception of my bariatric vitamin and calcium, I have stopped all my others meds in the space of 4 months! I was on the fence for awhile but in the end I wouldn’t change my decision to do the revision. I’m only sorry I chose the Band first, otherwise I’d have been at or near my goal over 9 years ago.
    Reason: Correction

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/12/2020
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Morales
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times

Hi Lisa, thank you so much for sharing your journey with the lap band and now the VGS. I had my band from 2006 to 2014. I lost 60 lbs and looked healthy and was able to go off all meds. The only problem was every time they put a fill in my port, I couldn't eat much without vomitting and constant acid reflux. Finally the doctor admitted that the original doctor put the band in way too tight and it was ruining my esopagus. I paid for both surgeries to have it put in and then taken out. I have gained 40 lbs back and as you can imagine, I am miserable. I wish I didnt have to wait so long to see the surgeon. I am very anxious to find out if I am a candiate. I am so ready to go back to living a full life and being who I was meant to be.
    Bonnie

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Bonnie. First of all, don't beat yourself up. Lots of people were unsuccessful with the lap band. There have been plenty of people on here who were band to sleeve conversions and they were all successful. The only things is most 2nd WLS patients tend to lose a bit slower so you have to take that into consideration. Second of all, the success rate with the sleeve is much higher.

23. Said thanks: