Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    08-20-2019 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Pre Op Concerns

So, I work for a magical company and many of my leaders and colleagues have had the surgery and I hear positive results and feedback. I’ve got started on the process of jumping through all the hoops (doctor visits n tests) about a year ago and I believe I’ve just went through the last hoop (heart cath & all is well Thank God) and I have clearance from him. Anyway, today I was getting an estimate for some flooring and somehow the person giving the estimate starts talking about his wife and her surgery that DIDNT GO WELL. She had the sleeve and I was hearing how she is on a feeding tube, something about her vagus nerve and she has a pacemaker. I’m not sure, but I don’t think she ever got to solid foods and is confined to a wheelchair. All I all, it sounded like the surgery didn’t go well for her! Hence I am just looking for more opinions from others and plan on going to a couple of the meetings they have at the hospital to ask some questions to others who have had the surgery. I believe the Florida Hospital has meetings every Wednesday or every other Wednesday. I guess I’m just looking for others insights because before today, I’ve heard nothing but good. I will still be getting the surgery done!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Pre Op Concerns

Welcome!

Congrats on making a decision to improve your life!

I’m going to share my own experience, strength and hope...

I’m also in Florida...North Florida and I can tell you my surgeon and Bari Team are the best. They and my Superhero husband saved my life.

30+ years BEFORE I had VSG, I had severe complications after gall bladder surgery that I neglected to mention to my Bari Team. After all those years, I had blocked it out (or it was something I didn’t want to remember).

I had the same severe complications after VSG. It took 4 more surgeries and 4.5 months in hospital. My heart stopped twice. I developed AFib. My husband had to retire to take care of me. I came home in a wheelchair. With the best Bari Team in Florida and my Superhero husband’s help, I was determined to ride my motorcycle again. Like the little train that could, I awoke every day determined to work towards my goals for myself...One Baby Step At A Time.

I believe there is something like .02 % (or 2% I’m not sure which) of patients who will experience complications...severe or not so severe complications after VSG.

With all of that and 3.5 years out, I can tell you without a doubt this is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. My only regret is that I waited. It was my heart’s desire to ride my motorcycle again, to be to take a 5 mile walk 2x a day again, to be able to dance again...I’m doing all of this and more.

I still have some issues. Compared to the unhealthy, debilitating life I was living...miserable, unhappy, depressed, shortening my life, no quality of life...I’ll take the ups and downs that are the result of the complications.

For a while (in between multiple hospital stays), I stayed away from here because I didn’t want to “burden” the other forum members. That was a HUGE mistake. I get the most loving support here. And there are others here who have had way worse problems than I have who freely share their experiences.

My heart goes out to the woman who’s in a wheelchair. Maybe one day she’ll fully recover. I will pray for her and her family.

Major surgery is always risky. I for one am happy I took the risk. I wouldn’t go back to pre-sleeved even if I could!

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey.

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi, I didn’t have health insurance so I went to a doctor in Mexico. I trusted my research and the doctor And group I picked. I’ve learned you don’t want to go to someone that only does one kind of weightloss surgery. Make sure if you have VSG you don’t have a history of acid reflux, hiatal hernias, Gastroparisis. I told the team about my extensive medical history. I was still told I was a good candidate. 10mos after surgery I developed AFib, then severe Acid Reflux, difficulty breathing. I had a stroke in September of 2018. I had test done a found I had a hiatal hernia, high PH. I needed a revision to a Gastric Bypass. Had that done Nov.16,2018. They found my stomach was up in my chest cavity. I had adhesions in my chest and abdomen. My Nissan was cut down the middle. Dr removed. Unfortunately 8 days later I had emergency surgery #1 for a leak. A G-Tube was placed. Two days later my intestine ruptured and I became septic. I stopped breathing and almost died. Had emergency surgery #2. Spent 5 days in ICU and another 8 weeks in the hospital. Came back in January had surgery #4 for a twisted intestine. I overcome left side Paralysis, being in a wheelchair full-time, being fed through a central line and receiving TPN. I got my strength up and had the nausea and vomiting improve. Unfortunately my entire GI tracked is paralyzed. Next month I’m having my entire colon removed and having an ileostomy done. I feel weightloss is a good tool but you need to have a doctor that really understands your medical history and you picked the best possible weightloss surgery. With any surgery there are risk just make sure you understand everything your getting yourself into. Also make sure your ready to make changes in your diet and exercise if you go forward with surgery. I’m happy to answer any questions. Good luck
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Risks of complication for a sleeve are about 2%, for a bypass it's higher, 5% and even higher if the gastric bypass is done as a "rescue surgery" after a sleeve, about 7%.

I was also really worried about complications. My health has always been complicated. So I checked many surgeons, did speak to 4, and picked one I trusted next to home (at that time I lived in Asia). My surgeon had +2000 surgeries under his belt, and I asked him about complications, and what happened to his patients. He was completely transparent. I met my surgeon may be 7 times before the surgery. He knew EVERYTHING about my health and I had many tests done pre-op. After losing even more weight he wanted me too pre-op, my exam results improved. A bed was booked for me in ICU in case I had an issue during surgery. Make sure the facility has an ICU!

So it's important to follow your guidelines, but unfortunately, complication are just bad luck and there is no way to really avoid it!! even if you follow your guidelines!

I had really complicated few months lately, my health did deteriorate suddenly, and long story short after multiple hemorrhages (endometriosis), anemia took a bad turn, I was really sick with multiple infections, asthma started and was out of control, and after so much asthma and pressure in my stomach, I also developed a hiatal hernia, reflux was awful and increased my asthma even more, stomach was in my lung cavity, and I had to wait for months before my stomach was repaired (surgeons had cold feet...I saw five surgeons before finding this one I trust to do the repair, the first surgeons kept on postponing...nobody want to do surgery on someone who has severe endometriosis...takes longer, it's more complicated and has a higher risk of complications).

Anyway I do not regret my sleeve, it did help me for the first time to stay a a healthy weight (even if I was still overweight), and those complications I developed were linked to other health issues.

But it's true my anemia increased after the sleeve because even if for years research showed that deficiencies were important only for gastric bypass patients, recently they discovered that deficiencies happen for sleeve patients too.
    I took religiously my vitamins for years but endometriosis really got worth during peri menopause, and only iron infusion (iV) could help and because I have many allergies, doctors drag their feet to prescribe those...even if so far I never had side effects after an iron infusion.

Now with my repair, a gastric bypass had to be done, the surgeon used a short limb to avoid deficiencies but I could see during my last blood test my iron level is getting lower anyway.

So....yes complications do happen. Is it worth the risk? I think yes. Obesity is a disease and we need medical help. Often we have other pathologies/issues which started obesity in the first place. When my asthma got so bad last Winter, prednisone made me gain lots of weight again, around 40 pounds in 5 months, but years ago I could gain almost 30 pounds in one week of prednisone!! so it did help...

I also had an issue after my stomach repair in June, had to go back to the hospital for 3 days. Lucky I didn't have to go back under the knife...but yes ...I knew my risk of complication was higher this time (7%)...

So if you decide to have surgery, do your research, follow your guidelines, but you know bad luck can happen anyway.

Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I think it's super smart for you to do all your research and ask questions beforehand. It is a major, lifestyle changing surgery and knowledge is power. Good for you!

I did the same thing, I considered the surgery for over 2 years before I made the decision to move forward. I was apprehensive as well. I read a ton of literature, spoke to several doctors beforehand, and talked to people who had the surgery. I'm 3 and 1/2 months post op and could not be happier with my decision.

I was 223 at my first consultation, miserable and sooooo very unhealthy. Hi BP, pre diabetic, sleep apnea, depression, etc. I did not even want to engage in normal activities because I felt so ashamed of my weight. I'd always been a healthy, slim weight until 40's. I gained 100 lbs and I was so defeated in my personal life I just wanted to sit at home and hide. I'm now down 55 pounds and I feel great.

I am so very thankful that I had a super easy surgery with no complications and a Doctor who was AMAZING! My heart goes out to all the forum members who've had problems, but the most amazing thing is that you guys KEEP ON PERSERVERING!! That is incredible and I am so in awe of all of you. You inspire me to keep moving forward and encouraging others in their journey. God bless you all sincerely!!!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DueDiligence's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    08-20-2019 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

TY have a great day

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DueDiligence View Post
    TY have a great day
    I hope you’ll keep us updated

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

The best thing you can do is be honest with the doctors, any health issues you've ever had should be shared with them. You did the insurance hoops so it sounds like your doing your surgery local to you, which is good if, God forbid, you ever have issues post OP. You passed your pre OP tests. That's ways a relief
    In your research and reading you will hear about others whose journeys were rough, to say the least, like WANAGL, who still says this surgery was one of the best decisions she's ever made. You do your research. Don't let other people's journeys decide for you. Research your surgical team. Make sure the hospital you will be going to has everything you could possibly need incase something goes wrong, you don't want to be transferred out to higher care, that takes a little time.
    I don't know your age, BMI etc but where will you be in 5 years if you don't take this opportunity? Will you pass the pre OP tests in 5 years? Will you be on (more) meds? Will you end up diabetic? You don't see a lot of elderly folks that are obese......my surgery went well. I have a family history of heart issues, diabetes, cancers etc. I was sleeved 12/29/14 31 years old, 255lbs. Couldn't walk up my driveway without gasping for air. Always sweating. Always miserable and eating more and more to feel better, just to feel worse after. I went through the hoops and had surgery. I have a hiatal hernia. Found during my endoscopy. I assumed they would take care of that when they were in there but they didn't. Went in for surgery in the morning. Woke up feeling like my stomach wasn't where it should be, (a little compression did a lot for that) and in pain. Recovery room nurse didn't follow the pain med order but anyways....I got up to my room, didn't feel so good. Spent the next 48 hours vomiting. I only had one surgery before that one and I vomiting then too...anesthesia does it to me. But all that vomiting didn't mess anything up. I had an extended stay in the hospital, not such a happy new year lol. But I got home and recovered and lost 110lbs within 9 months. I am 4.5 years out and haven't had any issues (knocking on wood)
    Do a pros & cons list. Ask lots of questions. We are each so different and what happened to one isn't necessarily going to happen to another. A small amount of people have serious complications. I always wonder where would I be if I didn't do it? Probably 350lbs miserable, hating how I look and never going on a roller coaster with my kids because I won't fit. I wish you the best of luck!
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It is normal to be scared. With any surgery there is some complication involved. The sleeve has low complication rates. Especially when performed stateside. Here is a link of common complications and percentages. https://www.obesitycoverage.com/unco...complications/ I had no complications other than difficulty coming out of anesthesia but I knew that going in. I don't do well. If you follow all the rules laid out by your surgeon such as taking the required vitamins, getting in enough fluid and protein, taking it easy but still walking you will lessen your odds of complications. They can still happen as with any surgery and any previous medical issues can definitely increase your odds. My suggestion is googling your surgeon. Trust me, the bad stuff is usually easier to find. Good luck.

17. Said thanks: