Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    08-20-2019 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Pre Surgery Concerns

So, I work for a magical company and many of my leaders and colleagues have had the surgery and I hear positive results and feedback. I’ve got started on the process of jumping through all the hoops (doctor visits n tests) about a year ago and I believe I’ve just went through the last hoop (heart cath & all is well Thank God) and I have clearance from him. Anyway, today I was getting an estimate for some flooring and somehow the person giving the estimate starts talking about his wife and her surgery that DIDNT GO WELL. She had the sleeve and I was hearing how she is on a feeding tube, something about her vagus nerve and she has a pacemaker. I’m not sure, but I don’t think she ever got to solid foods and is confined to a wheelchair. All I all, it sounded like the surgery didn’t go well for her! Hence I am just looking for more opinions from others and plan on going to a couple of the meetings they have at the hospital to ask some questions to others who have had the surgery. I believe the Florida Hospital has meetings every Wednesday or every other Wednesday. I guess I’m just looking for others insights because before today, I’ve heard nothing but good. I will still be getting the surgery done!

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 11 users said welcome DueDiligence to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Pre Surgery Concerns

Welcome!

Congrats on making a decision to improve your life!

I’m going to share my own experience, strength and hope...

I’m also in Florida...North Florida and I can tell you my surgeon and Bari Team are the best. They and my Superhero husband saved my life.

30+ years BEFORE I had VSG, I had severe complications after gall bladder surgery that I neglected to mention to my Bari Team. After all those years, I had blocked it out (or it was something I didn’t want to remember).

I had the same severe complications after VSG. It took 4 more surgeries and 4.5 months in hospital. My heart stopped twice. I developed AFib. My husband had to retire to take care of me. I came home in a wheelchair. With the best Bari Team in Florida and my Superhero husband’s help, I was determined to ride my motorcycle again. Like the little train that could, I awoke every day determined to work towards my goals for myself...One Baby Step At A Time.

I believe there is something like .02 % (or 2% I’m not sure which) of patients who will experience complications...severe or not so severe complications after VSG.

With all of that and 3.5 years out, I can tell you without a doubt this is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. My only regret is that I waited. It was my heart’s desire to ride my motorcycle again, to be to take a 5 mile walk 2x a day again, to be able to dance again...I’m doing all of this and more.

I still have some issues. Compared to the unhealthy, debilitating life I was living...miserable, unhappy, depressed, shortening my life, no quality of life...I’ll take the ups and downs that are the result of the complications.

For a while (in between multiple hospital stays), I stayed away from here because I didn’t want to “burden” the other forum members. That was a HUGE mistake. I get the most loving support here. And there are others here who have had way worse problems than I have who freely share their experiences.

My heart goes out to the woman who’s in a wheelchair. Maybe one day she’ll fully recover. I will pray for her and her family.

Major surgery is always risky. I for one am happy I took the risk. I wouldn’t go back to pre-sleeved even if I could!

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member DueDiligence's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    08-20-2019 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Ty, I noticed you are on here a lot, which is great, I hope to read more threads as I’m pretty sure I will be getting a date soon. I quit smoking 3/31/19 n the doctor said one of the worst things I could do is smoke after, which I don’t plan on, I just want my quality of life back.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

You’re welcome ;-)

Please feel free to PM me anytime.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I posted on your other post but ultimately you have to decide if this is right for you and do the small complication rates scare you more than the issues that obesity brings? I had to weigh my pros and cons and I can tell you that for me I felt it was worth the risk. It is good to be well informed.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents