Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default 2 years out gaining inches but not lbs

Hi there, I don't know what to make of this. I have gained 3 inches since the last time I measured, and the last time I measured was 7 months after my surgery when I hit my goal weight. I have weighed myself every morning and I am no fail - same weight 180 lbs at goal weight. But I thought, I should measure again and sure enough, I'm 3 inches larger than when I was eating my leanest. However my clothes all still fit. What to make of that? I feel like a wining child, but I never want to go back to being overweight. What do I do about the extra inches considering I'm still at goal weight. To tell the truth, I like my weight, I don't want to go any smaller. But to tell the truth, gaining 3 inches freaks me out! And restricting calories seems to suck with me, I get very hungry on 1200 calories a day. My maintenance is and has been for a long time 1600-1800 calories a day. So not sure what to do! Has this happened to anyone else or any thoughts? Advice appreciated!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2 years out gaining inches but not lbs

Hi!
    I think with your name you could be a woman. How old are you? body composition can change with hormones, and I'm thinking peri menopause, I'm in the middle of it and my tummy did swell at some point. Most of it is water retention and it does vary during the month, but still, my tummy is bigger.

Weight is different from body composition. After the sleeve, I was having long stalls where my weight wouldn't move and my pants would become too big. Peri menopause is doing the opposite on me right now.
    I got a new scale to watch what's going on closely. The result is not as precise as the DEXA scan I used to get in my previous hospital, but can't get it right now so the scale will do.

I don't think the swellings a big deal (I just hope it's not permanent), and to try to change it I"m slowly increasing my exercise regimen from nothing to level "going back on the horse", I was just cleared last week after surgeries so can't do much yet, but just walking and climbing stairs can do wonder!

Also depending on how your body work, calories are not the only issue. Carbs can make people gain weight (for me it's a big trigger), may be tracking your food would help you notice if your diet changed in any way?
    Sometimes when we reach goal we become less attentive to our food intake ...

Take care

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    07/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. R. Richard
    Last Activity
    03-15-2023 06:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times
    Blog Entries

Since my surgery in 2013, I record my weight and the measurements of 10 different points on my body on the 1st of each month. Then I add the total of those inches. I find that the total hasn't changed much since reaching my goal weight but gravity is at play!
    Have your exercise habits changed?

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

I can’t add anything to the above ^^^

I log everything that passes my lips (even though it’s a pain sometimes), mainly because it keeps me “Mindfull” and “Diligent “. I also have issues with some foods and I can go back to my log and easily find the culprit.

I have adjusted exercise routines to match my needs over time.

Overall, what works today may not work tomorrow ;-)

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I really don't know other than what others have said...gravity, hormone changes, and exercise changes. I know that if you have built muscle but stop working it you can stay the same weight but appear thicker as the lean muscle is more compact. If you like the way you look, I would not sweat it.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hi there, thanks for all the replies. Seems really silly to pose this question, but wanted others opinions from those that go through the sleeve changes, just like me. Yes, I am female, and yes, I'm likely pre-menopausal with my age. I'm turning 50 in October, so even though I'm still getting my periods, I'm quite sure menopause is just around the corner for me. Thanks for all those who commented and your advise; I think not sweating it is the answer here. Like I said, my clothes all still fit. It would not be muscle mass because my exercise has never consisted of going to the gym (I just can't do gym's)...I get my exercise by daily walks and by bowling once per week. That would not be building muscle mass certainly.

I have started tracking again, but I seem to feel best on 1600 calories a day and restricting to 1200 is uncomfortable for me. Since my lbs are maintained at the weight I want, and I like the way I look at that weight, and I don't want to lose more weight I see no reason to try to aim for 1200 calories per day. Seems drastic considering I'm quite happy the weight that I am and wouldn't want to go any lower. I will continue doing what has been working for me, and that is weighing in every morning.

Lord forbid if I had to go on 1200 calories a day, I'm sure it's doable but at this point I'm much more comfortable on my maintenance calories. Thanks again to all who took the time to respond. If anyone else has experienced the same as me, or just want to offer their opinion; please feel free to comment further! Thanks again!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Nothing silly about it!
    I am 2,5 years out now (give or take) and I do notice some changes in the positioning of, well, not sure what.
    My batwings seem to be getting smaller, but unfortunately my boobs still stay the same sad, empty teabags.
    But something is definitely shifting.
    Intriguing...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh ladies, what a great thread (no offense to the fellows).
    At 67, it is apparent to me that gravity hasn't been on my side for a while, and I am way past menopause. My GP (who is female and also a friend of 18 years) told me (to my horror) that those hormones sort of come and go the rest of our lives, and its quite possible to have changes up until your last breath. Well darn.

But what I've found changes my inches is the quality of my carbs. Yes, I do eat water crackers (not sure that's what everyone calls them). They are very thin, and I do the whole wheat, and they are a slider to a degree -- But 2 with a slice of turkey or roast beef is a good choice for me.

IF I do even bites of potato, or a taste of cake at a celebration, I get the worse dadgum bloating and my waist disappears. So perhaps its not the amount but the type of foods? And we do get different sensitivities with time.

I stay right at 1100-1200 calories to maintain, but can't say I've experienced real hunger since sleeve. I do get "fidgety" feeling which is a cue I need to eat, or my blood sugar plummets to 52.

If you figure it out,, please share!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

17. Said thanks: