Imran Haq
    Last Activity
    08-20-2019 09:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,126 Times

Default Back on track and I feel nothing

Hello Everyone,

I had my sleeve surgery back in December 2014. I was living my abusive parents when my younger brother died suddenly. It shook my world. I had managed to lose about 75 lbs up to that point, but in the year following the death of my brother and under the shadow of mommie dearest's grief, I gained it all back. Can anyone relate?

Now, I have been taking medication for ADD for years, but recently, a couple of friends of mine had told me about Vyvanse which doubles as a very strong ADD medication and as a treatment for binge eating disorder. I have both and got a script from my doctor.

Well. Let me say getting my sleeve to feel brand spanking new can't possibly be any easier than this and I had tried to reboot my sleeve many times since I went off the rails. I'm not here to sell anyone on a drug. All I'm saying is, I'm back.

And you'd think I'd be excited, but all I can feel is relief, I guess.

Maybe it's the hanging skin dangling from my arms? Or is it the fact that I still live with my awful parents who are unimpressed with the blood clot that lived in my brain last year or the spine disease that makes me prone to blood clots or the ptsd that haunts me every day?I want to celebrate getting my body back but the last time I was this skinny, someone died.

So there's that...

Maybe I could get more excited if I could imagine myself without the skin and the flab. Do a lot of insurance companies cover body lifts/skin removal surgery?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Back on track and I feel nothing

Welcome back,

I’m so sorry you’ve had a rough go of it. I can relate to your loss...I just lost my dear brother. I’m sorry for your loss.

This is the best site for VSG information, encouragement and support. We’re here to share our experiences, hopes and strengths. We help each other live in the solution. We have lots of fun too!

Some of us need outside help. Therapy helps to get down to causes and conditions.

I hope you still have your original post-surgery Bari Team instructions. It sounds like “Go Back to Basics” might work for you.

Best of luck as you continue your journey ;-)

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome home! Anyone would feel a bit relieved to find a solution to one issue in life, and that usually leads to some other changes as well. I'm sorry your family isn't supportive in the way you need. I have 6 "adult children" and cannot imagine not supporting them regardless of whether I understand or agree with them. But we are uncommonly close as some large families are. Hoping that resolves for you.

I'm not sure about the skin surgeries and insurance. I know that even if I had wanted to do one, I did not have the things they look for in order for it to be "medical" necessity according to my GP. I do have lose skin on upper arms, and the saggy baggy stomach. But I'm also 67 and had all c secs with my kids. So some wrinkles and crinkles are okay with me.

Here's a link that might help https://www.americanboardcosmeticsur...r-weight-loss/

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...are-my-options

My bariatric surgeon does offer a program through the medical group he's in; however, if I were doing it I would go to the plastic surgeon who did my post mastectomy breast reconstruction.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello fellow sleever!

I'm very sorry about your brother. I hope you will be able to heal from that pain and find some happiness in life outside of your parents home.

From what I read, and my very own awful childhood, I think we do share a few common points. From my experience, I don't think plastic surgery will heal your soul. Have a balanced life, surrounded by people who really care for you would probably help more.

If I was you I would try to get out of that house asap. It might not be easy because it seems you have several serious medical problems, but may be a part time job, finding nice roommate, could change your life in a positive way.

I left my parent's house when I was 18 and that's probably what saved me from more pain and suffering.
    I did work during college and law school, lived in a kind of rent controlled apartment in a bad neighborhood but at least I was free!

I think that plastic surgery, at that stage is not the emergency, plus the surgeon will ask you to be at a stable weight for at least one year, so it gives you some time to also save money if it's not completely covered by your insurance. (I did have to pay some extra from my pocket, even if the insurance covered mine)

Because, I had an arm lift 13 months ago. And the result is not what I was expecting, I have "dog ears" and need corrective surgery now to repair that. Since I had other real medical issues in the mean time, that's on the back burner.
    That surgery was really not easy (and apparently it's one of the most difficult), little pain and discomfort for a long time, but I also needed someone's assistance for almost everything for more than a week. I'm lucky I'm married, because hubby took days off to help me.

I hope you can find a way to get the life you deserve, and the happiness you need!! some life coach can also help a lot if you are not willing to try therapy.

I wish you the best
    take care

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness. You have been through a lot. I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. Glad to hear you are back on track. As for skin removal surgery, most insurance does not cover it unless there is a medical reason. For example, a tummy tuck can be approved if the loose skin is causing rashes and irritation but only with some companies. Good luck to you.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents