Thread: Hi, newbie here

Last Activity
    08-22-2019 06:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Hi, newbie here

Hi all,
    Newbie here. I've just started the process to be considered for a sleeve. I attended a seminar with Mercy Weightloss Solutions and am waiting for a call back. Although I initially signed up for help with a diet, the more research I do the more I feel as if going ahead with a sleeve is a better long term option. I have tried every diet under the sun, and never manage to lose much. With certain medications I'm on I continue to pack on weight and it's very frustrating knowing that the only way to get it off is to starve myself and not have an enjoyable life, and then will likely gain it all back anyway. I'm unwilling to go to crazy extremes to lose weight, I know it's not healthy and not sustainable. I do feel that I have educated myself immensely in weightloss and health, so knowing that if I do what I'm supposed to do with a sleeve I'll see results, will help me be disciplined and consistent. I joined this forum to further my research and to also see if anyone else out there had a lower starting BMI as I'd like to hear their feedback. I'm at a 35 BMI and my insurance requires comorbidities. I have no serious life threatening ones, but the past two years have came back with pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, anemia and high BP. I have a family history of heart issues on both sides and diabetes on my dad's side. I also had gestational diabetes. But I've decided that even if insurance won't cover the procedure I'm doing it anyway. Mercy has an excellent program with lifetime involvement, I feel like why wait until I get to a point where my health starts to seriously fail, it's a preemptive measure.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Default Re: Hi, newbie here

Congrats on taking the leap. You will be amazed that you can make these changes. Given your family history, why not take the shot to improve your lot. Kind of the reason I took these steps too.

PS-those are significant comorbidities and not likely to get better on your own without extreme behavior modifications. It is easier when you get a tool in your arsenal that helps you comply.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

5. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Precisely, I feel like this is a tool like anything else, why not use it if I have it available to me.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

✨Welcome!✨

You've definitely have come to the right place, I found reading older threads extremely helpful when I first joined the forum.

Congratulations on your decision to do research, and know your life is about to change for the better as reported in 99% of most cases. For me, the risks of surgery were much lower than if I had stayed on the same path. I had similar bmi for the longest time until a few years ago it jumped to 38/39. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes November 2015, but I refused medication and instead I chose WLS path.

You will find a fountain of support and sage advice from veteran sleevers, as well as some in their early stages.

If you haven't already watch Dr. Matthew Weiner YouTube channel for what to expect before/after surgery.

This surgery has been the best decision I have ever made, it is by no means an easy way out, it is also NOT a ✨*Magic Wand*✨ that will make weight magically disappear. It takes mindful every day work to stay present and use our permanent tool to be better and healthier versions of our current selves.

Sending you the best of wishes!

Here is what I looked like March a year ago, and what I look like now at almost 10 months post op. I'm diabetes free, my cholesterol is normal, sleeping much better, and each day I feel extremely blessed that I have not experienced any complications. There were some minor discomforts early months, but as you train yourself to eat and drink properly those discomforts are experienced less and less.

IMG_2116.JPG
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I know most insurance will approve the surgery with a BMI under 40 if there are comorbidities. The best thing to do is contact your insurance directly and find out what the requirements are so you can plan accordingly. I was barely at my minimum for surgery for insurance approval and with my insurance I had to make sure I did not get under 40 BMI during the pre op. Hands down the best decision I ever made. And like you, if insurance hadn't approved my surgery I would have gone to Mexico and self paid. I am not spending anymore time being fat and unhealthy. Good luck!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Well, it’s been two years and I’m in the same spot only heavier. So I made an appointment for a consult to self pay. I’m going to see if anyone here has any experience with Journeylite in Cincinnati. I’m ready, I’m just worried about a complication that ruins my life.