Surgeon
    Dr Q
    Last Activity
    09-10-2019 11:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Lightbulb 5 years in and wondering if I should do a sleeve revision

Hi everyone~I had a gastric sleeve in TJ Mexico almost 5 years ago. I was 209 lbs, 5'6" and I am now 193 and a size 14/16. I never got below the high 170's and it's been difficult for me.
    Just wondering if anyone has done a sleeve revision.

2. The following 14 users said welcome sassypants8321 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 years in and wondering if I should do a sleeve revision

Hi, welcome here.
    Why was it difficult for you?
    What didn't work for you?
    What do you think will change with a revision?

Just some questions that come to my mind.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome!

I have the same questions as Simonne.

Have you tried the search tool to see if there are any forum threads on revision? That may be a way for you to connect with someone who has experience with this topic. I can’t think of anyone, but I’m sure someone has ;-)

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi, I have the same questions and recommendations. I had a revision last November because of severe acid reflux, Hiatal Hernia that had dragged my stomach to my chest cavity which caused A-Fib, Stroke & changes to my esophagus. I don’t recommend having a revision unless it’s due to severe health issues caused by the gastric sleeve. I had a leak 8 days after the revision and was full of infection. Had emergency surgery #1. I almost died from a ruptured intestine 2 days after surgery #2. I became septic. I spent 5 days in ICU and another 7 weeks in the hospital. I have a GTube were I get my my meds and nutrition. A month later I had to have another surgery for a twisted intestine and adhesions. I will be having a 5th surgery coming up. I met with a colorectal surgeon to have my large intestine removed and possible small intestine and left with a Ostomy. My intestines our paralyzed. I’m struggling to rebuild my muscles and get my cu figure back. I’m happy to help & answer any questions. I want you to succeed.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WANAGL View Post
    Welcome!

I have the same questions as Simonne.

Have you tried the search tool to see if there are any forum threads on revision? That may be a way for you to connect with someone who has experience with this topic. I can’t think of anyone, but I’m sure someone has ;-)
    Hi Wanagl, Are you struggling with your weight or are you dealing with health problems from the Sleeve?
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    Hi Wanagl, Are you struggling with your weight or are you dealing with health problems from the Sleeve?
    Hi Tamera2,

No weight struggles. My goal weight turned out to be higher than where the weight loss took me.

Most of my current health problems are due to severe complications after VSG.

Not as severe as yours...My heart goes out to you.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants8321 View Post
    Hi everyone~I had a gastric sleeve in TJ Mexico almost 5 years ago. I was 209 lbs, 5'6" and I am now 193 and a size 14/16. I never got below the high 170's and it's been difficult for me.
    Just wondering if anyone has done a sleeve revision.
    I would start by keeping a diary for a week writing down everything you eat & drink. Also keep track of your exercise. What form of exercise, duration & frequency. Go back to the basics. Dense protein first, leafy green vegetables for your meals. Ok to use protein drink for meal replacement. Drink plenty of water or sugar free drinks. Small amount of fresh fruit with a snack. Adjust calories if you do strenuous physical activity. I would make appointment with a nutritionist that works with Bariatric patients. Check with local hospital that performs Bariatric Surgery and attend support group. Mine had a good one and very helpful. You can loose weight again. Surgery is not the answer and very risky. Some have had good results with weight watchers. You can succeed!!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I don't think you can compare a sleeve revision for serious medical complications to a sleeve revision for a person that just didn't eat right. (Not saying you don't eat right Sassypants, you didn't mention why it was difficult). Hope you're feeling better Tamara!! What you've been through is horrific! We need to climb some mountains next summer.
    Hi Friend, Some days I’m doing better and then other days Not so much. I hope the colorectal surgeon will be able to make the adjustments and get me completely repaired. I hope next summer I will be be to hike and climb mountains and I would love to do that with you. Can’t wait to hear about your big trip. It’s coming up soon.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WANAGL View Post
    Hi Tamera2,

No weight struggles. My goal weight turned out to be higher than where the weight loss took me.

Most of my current health problems are due to severe complications after VSG.

Not as severe as yours...My heart goes out to you.
    I’m sorry to hear your having some health issues from the Sleeve. I’d recommend getting evaluated and tested to see if you are a good candidate for a revision. Then you will have to decide if the pros out weigh the cons. I’m so sorry your having health issues from the Sleeve. I miss the first year when everything was going good and I could hike, mountain climb. Good luck and I hope everything gets better for you.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    I’m sorry to hear your having some health issues from the Sleeve. I’d recommend getting evaluated and tested to see if you are a good candidate for a revision. Then you will have to decide if the pros out weigh the cons. I’m so sorry your having health issues from the Sleeve. I miss the first year when everything was going good and I could hike, mountain climb. Good luck and I hope everything gets better for you.
    Thanks so much, Tamera ;-)

I went through the evaluation and testing... the pros do not outweigh the cons for me. Thanks to the best Bari Team and Dr in the world (in my opinion), I’m in much better shape than I was. I’m grateful for every single day and I wouldn’t go back to pre-sleeved even if I could.

I pray that you’ll soon be hiking and mountain climbing again ;-)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Sassypants, where are you?
    I would love to hear more from you!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Q
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Oh gosh, so all of these responses went to my spam email, which I never check. I assumed nobody had responded.
    I think my sleeve was not done properly. From day one, I haven't felt like there was a ton of restriction.
    I have researched the weight gain and lack of restriction and it just doesn't seem like this should be happening after the surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Q
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Before I posted, I read and read and read on these boards and I find you to be extremely condescending in the way you speak to people. Under your photo it says you had a gastric sleeve. I assume the sleeve was not the first thing you tried to lose weight and it was not mine. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and a surgery was my last resort. I have done weight watchers, the protein diet, keto, the cabbage soup diet, the master cleanse, ran 10 miles a day (i was down to 143 when i was working out twice a day AND doing the protein diet), phentermine, bulimia...let's see, what else...
    I run a local mom board with thousands of members and my number one rule is "be kind". I do not find you to be kind, at all. Please do not forget where you came from and that if it were as easy as "join weight watchers" none of us would be here.

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants8321 View Post
    Before I posted, I read and read and read on these boards and I find you to be extremely condescending in the way you speak to people. Under your photo it says you had a gastric sleeve. I assume the sleeve was not the first thing you tried to lose weight and it was not mine. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and a surgery was my last resort. I have done weight watchers, the protein diet, keto, the cabbage soup diet, the master cleanse, ran 10 miles a day (i was down to 143 when i was working out twice a day AND doing the protein diet), phentermine, bulimia...let's see, what else...
    I run a local mom board with thousands of members and my number one rule is "be kind". I do not find you to be kind, at all. Please do not forget where you came from and that if it were as easy as "join weight watchers" none of us would be here.
    Oh my. I'm sorry your feelings were "pinched" but having know the person a long time (over 2 years), I'm sure that was not her intention at all. She's quite straight forward, but honestly a kind soul.

I watched a bunch of YouTubes about revision/reset etc. by Dr. V. I found his presentation and facts helped me see what I could change, what I couldn't and what honestly, I am not willing to do.

A second surgery is always an option; doing your research and having several PROFESSIONAL opinions is good regardless of the circumstance that leads you there.

On a note about Weight Watchers, I was having an issue and tried it based on sraebaer's reccomendation -- the issue (maintenance without wild fluctuations) gave me yet another tool to keep my weight within the healthy norm. Maybe it doesn't work for anyone else in that regard, but was grateful to have an option to explore.

Since you shared your first experience post sleeve did not give you the results you want, sorting out why that happened for you sounds very sensible.

My surgical group does check sleeve size at 1 mo post-op with an isotope scan. Checking out your metabolic situation with an endocrinologist may give you a clue if your general physician can't order the specific labs. And age (oh at 67 I say the "A" word a lot). With women, our amazing scope of hormones and their up and downs including perimenopause & menopause throw another spanner in the works.

If sharing honestly things we believe might help in your situation makes me "unkind", guess I'll wear that tee shirt. Truly we all care about your success in achieving health and a positive relationship with food & life.

Please let us know how you are doing.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Wow, I assume you're talking about me. You read all my posts and find me mean and condensing? I sincerely apologize, that was never my intention. I am not a mean person. My only reason to be here is to have accountability for myself and help others if I am able.

You have to understand a few things.

1. A short post never tells the whole story. You mentioned a sleeve revision because you hadn't lost much weight. You didn't mention the problem. Are you struggling to eat correctly? Did you have medical complications? Without all the details answers may not pertain to your situation.

2. This board is made of thousands of individuals, all different. While we all started obese and had weight loss surgery, our results are as individual as each person. Some had it easy, some had struggles. Some keep off their weight, others don't. Some chose a weight comfortable for themselves, others aim for the healthy BMI range. What works for one may or may not work for the other. Take any advice you think may help, and just scroll through and ignore the rest. Your doctor is probably the best person to go for if you have questions or concerns.

Personally, I told you what worked for me. Just me. It may sound crazy to you. It may sound crazy to most people here, I don't know. I had maintained for years and started gaining last winter. I did two things, and they worked. First I gave up all alcohol, I was having 2 drinks a night of many empty calories. Second, I joined Weight Watchers because I suck at tracking. I don't even own any fitness device, like a fancy GPS watch or anything. Others do My Fitness Pal, count macros (I don't even know what a macro is), use a personal trainer, etc. People can all tell you how they maintain their weight, and probably no answer will be the same. I found WW super easy and exactly how we were taught to eat, basically lean protein and veggies along with exercise. It's like tracking for dummies. I have lost 19.4 pounds since February. So it worked for me. Not saying it will work for you, just an idea that helped me personally.

Once again, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

29. Said thanks: