Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Nguyen
    Last Activity
    08-25-2019 08:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thumbs up Hello everyone

I've been on this site before and have gotten great info but this is my first time posting and registering since I officially have my date for surgery. It will be done on the 19th of August a few days before my birthday. Right now I'm starting the liver shrink diet, I am excited to have the surgery done and any advice or information on the sleeve surgery is appreciated. Thanks everyone and I look forward to being a "card carrying" sleeve member next month.

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 16 users said welcome JHowell23 to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Hello everyone

Welcome! You've found the right place for questions and support. It is so much fun!

Here's my advice for when you come home from the hospital:

1. Sleep all you can.
    2. If you have a family, delegate meals to someone else for at least a few weeks.
    3. Walk a little, even if it's just around your house.
    4. Your only job is to meet your liquid and protein requirements. Keep a journal, or even just a piece of paper in your kitchen to count the liquid ounces and protein grams. And remember any protein drink counts toward both goals.
    5. Take measurements and pictures! So much fun to compare.
    6. Weigh only once a week. I recorded my Monday weight in a journal. Stalls happen, especially early on, and you don't want anything bringing you down. Make it all positive and fun!

Hope everything is smooth sailing!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Welcome, it's a great place for information. Congratulations on making the decision to move ahead with your surgery! It was one of the best decisions I've ever made, just wish I had done it sooner.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome!

This is the best site for information, encouragement and support. We have lots of fun, too ;-)

This is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. My only regret is that I waited.

As for surgery prep, these are some of the suggestions made to me...

Take a pillow with you to cushion your stomach and enjoy a comfortable ride home.
    Ask your surgeon to push the gas out after surgery. It helps eliminate the pain that can occur in chest, shoulder and sides.
    Take loose comfortable clothes for the ride home.
    Take lip balm for dry lips.
    Don’t bother taking tablet, kindle, etc. You’ll be resting, sipping and walking most of the time.

Sugar free popsicles were my best friends ;-)
    Isopure clear flavored protein drinks frozen in ice cube trays worked well for me.
    Nectar flavored protein powder helped me get my water intake where it was supposed to be.

I hope this helps...

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey ;-)

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member JHowell23's Avatar
    Name
    Juliana
    Surgery date
    08/19/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you to everyone for being so welcoming. I agree with most of you I wish I hadn’t waited either but as the saying goes “it’s better late than never”.
    Thanks Cyndi, I have heard about the pillow but I’m not sure about getting a ride home since I’m just six blocks from the hospital and I only have one friend with a car(not many in nyc have one) and I’m not sure if he’ll have free time to pick me up and bring me home. I will ask my doctor about pushing the gas out after surgery. I’ve heard from others that it is the main source of pain and discomfort. I’m definitely taking loose clothing and I’ve heard a few women mention taking a soft bra as well in case the incision site is under the breast. I’m supposed to be in the hospital 1-2 days so toothbrush and toothpaste is on my list as well as sugar free mints for dry mouth. Knowing how dry the hospital can be from visiting my mom times in the past I will take lip balm and Vick’s since the air is so dry. I have the kindle app on my phone but I see from your advice recuperating will be my priority. So I’ll save the reading for once I get home and have down time between exercises and sipping clear liquids.

I wish I could do the popsicles but my teeth are sensitive to cold. I have found premier protein waters and I like oolong tea without sugar so I don’t get too bored of just water. I’m also going to be doing bone broth as well for hydration and added protein. I also found GNC has some ready made protein shakes that are for weight lifters I guess and have 40grams of protein vs their lean shakes that have 25. The nutritionist recommended at least 50 grams daily so one of those shakes and the bone broth will give me 50 and then the clear protein water and extra shake will give me a fair amount of protein for the day.

Thanks for the great advice. Some I knew some I hadn’t even thought of. This site is definitely a treasure trove of good information.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgery date
    08/09/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kristoffel Dumon
    Last Activity
    09-28-2019 01:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Hooray for having your date!! I know time is flying for me and I am trying to get all of my supplies and such for my post surgery days. So I'm sure it will fly by for your too! ^5 for new Augusts sleevers!!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats! If you plan on walking home, make sure you ask your doctor 1st if that's ok. You may be able to get a ride through the hospital depending on your insurance. Just be careful because it might be very hot out and you will be a bit uncomfortable. Might even take a cab if you need to. Goodluck!! Make sure you take before pics and measurements ;-)
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! You'll do well because you are already taking responsibility for your nutrition and following what your surgeon says. You are set for success.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Juliana
    Surgery date
    08/19/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Rachel, you’re definitely right about that time already feels like it’s flying by. Only one more week and we’ll be in August.

Teri, I didn’t even think about letting the doctor know I was thinking about walking home so I will definitely get his input before I do it. I worry about taking medical transport because I know my insurance will make me pay part of it and I already know I will have to pay some for the surgery as I did for the testing. I also didn’t think about the heat, though I don’t know why I didn’t because I overheat so easily. I could always take the bus home if the heat’s too bad. There’s a bus stop right in front of the recovery unit and it would leave me 1/2 a block from my apartment. There are usually cabs that wait outside the recovery unit for that reason so if I’m feeling too weak I’ll see about taking one. Maybe if I tell the doctor about my options he’ll be more open to letting me go home on my own. Cause I know my mom would have loved to come and just walk back with me but she’s to weak to walk still and I’m a manual wheelchair which means I would have to push her and I know I can’t do anything too strenuous after the surgery.

As I get closer I am getting more excited but also slightly nervous even though I know what to expect already from this site and my doctor going over things as well. I do hope you’re right Annie, that I will continue to be responsible after the surgery is done and make the right choices. That’s why I think I’m preparing so much and getting the protein shakes set up and finding the bone broth and protein water and already know the cheapest place to get my oolong tea because if I have only healthy options I won’t stray off the diet. All I need now is to look into snacks. I bought some sugar free jello and pudding to see if I like them and I already know I like unsweetened applesauce as well as cottage cheese. I was also thinking about making chocolate mousse but I need to ask the nutritionist what’s the max amount of sugar per serving I’ll be allowed. Cause even though I don’t add sugar when I make the mousse I got to make sure I buy the right percentage dark chocolate. Cause I can always add protein powder to it to make it even better surgery wise.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

WOW!

You’re doing a great job of making healthy choices and preparations ;-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by JHowell23 View Post
    Rachel, you’re definitely right about that time already feels like it’s flying by. Only one more week and we’ll be in August.

Teri, I didn’t even think about letting the doctor know I was thinking about walking home so I will definitely get his input before I do it. I worry about taking medical transport because I know my insurance will make me pay part of it and I already know I will have to pay some for the surgery as I did for the testing. I also didn’t think about the heat, though I don’t know why I didn’t because I overheat so easily. I could always take the bus home if the heat’s too bad. There’s a bus stop right in front of the recovery unit and it would leave me 1/2 a block from my apartment. There are usually cabs that wait outside the recovery unit for that reason so if I’m feeling too weak I’ll see about taking one. Maybe if I tell the doctor about my options he’ll be more open to letting me go home on my own. Cause I know my mom would have loved to come and just walk back with me but she’s to weak to walk still and I’m a manual wheelchair which means I would have to push her and I know I can’t do anything too strenuous after the surgery.

As I get closer I am getting more excited but also slightly nervous even though I know what to expect already from this site and my doctor going over things as well. I do hope you’re right Annie, that I will continue to be responsible after the surgery is done and make the right choices. That’s why I think I’m preparing so much and getting the protein shakes set up and finding the bone broth and protein water and already know the cheapest place to get my oolong tea because if I have only healthy options I won’t stray off the diet. All I need now is to look into snacks. I bought some sugar free jello and pudding to see if I like them and I already know I like unsweetened applesauce as well as cottage cheese. I was also thinking about making chocolate mousse but I need to ask the nutritionist what’s the max amount of sugar per serving I’ll be allowed. Cause even though I don’t add sugar when I make the mousse I got to make sure I buy the right percentage dark chocolate. Cause I can always add protein powder to it to make it even better surgery wise.
    Please don't walk home following major surgery. I can't imagine any hospital letting you do that. They won't even let you walk from your room to the door, they always put you in a wheelchair. Seems to be hospital policy. No family? I would just call an UBER! Good luck. (I got dizzy walking very early on; you don't want that to happen and fall or something, and I have always been a walker, no matter what my size).

23. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Reising
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 05:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I walked 3 to 4 miles a night before surgery, I only go around the block 2 days after surgery. I could not imagine walking 6 blocks the day I got out of the hospital. Please reconsider. Uber or taxi sounds like the best options to me. (Its been a long time I rode a bus, but last I checked, they all have stairs and I wouldn't want to climb many)

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Juliana
    Surgery date
    08/19/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I think everyone is right and I’m being too optimistic about walking home. It’ll be best just to take a cab unless my friend is free from work that day then he can take me. It’s just you hear everyone mentioning how much the doctor wants you to walk after the surgery that I thought maybe it would be okay and I’ve never had major surgery only out patient procedures and LASIK but I will listen to those of you who’ve had it and know best. I appreciate the feedback and the tips.

27. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

Quote Originally Posted by JHowell23 View Post
    I think everyone is right and I’m being too optimistic about walking home. It’ll be best just to take a cab unless my friend is free from work that day then he can take me. It’s just you hear everyone mentioning how much the doctor wants you to walk after the surgery that I thought maybe it would be okay and I’ve never had major surgery only out patient procedures and LASIK but I will listen to those of you who’ve had it and know best. I appreciate the feedback and the tips.
    Sensible choice!!!

You’re doing such a great job of preparing for post-surgery. We would like for you to make it to there without anything untoward happening on the way home ;-)

Yes, the Drs want us to walk after surgery...as opposed to sitting and waiting to miraculously feel better, or for the gas pains to disappear on their own. The best I could do at first was more of a shuffle than a walk LOL But I got up every hour and shuffled until I could walk around “normally” ;-)

Name
    Juliana
    Surgery date
    08/19/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Nguyen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Cyndi I appreciate it. I’ll try and shuffle as much as I can. I’m definitely a walker I prefer it to most exercise especially with the pain in my joints which stops me from doing most high impact exercises and I wouldn’t want to overdo it or screw up my recovery. I’ll save the long walks for once the weight starts coming down. It’ll be hard to start off slow since I walk fast but I don’t want to risk my health.

30. Said thanks: