Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    08-24-2020 06:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Not eating after surgery

So I’m just over a week postop and things are going well but I am having a very difficult time getting the shakes down for no other reason that I am repulsed by them. I have ordered the iso-pure drinks that were given to me at the hospital which is more liquid consistency they should be in today I think I will not have a problem getting them in. I am drinking my water and occasionally have a sugar-free pudding or Jell-O. But other than that I have not had anything to eat for a couple days now. August 5 I’m able to go on puréed foods foods so hopefully that will help?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Not eating after surgery

They sell Isopure at GNC and the Vitamin Shoppe. I did like those more than shakes. But the tastes were a little odd, I had to dilute the orange with a lot of ice. Go to the store and get something, you can't just not eat! Try one of everything that looks good to you, and if you like one, go back and buy more. The Isopure comes in cases. Walmart has some stuff too, the selection is just more limited.

If you don't like any, you're going to just have to tough it out and drink them. I am sure by week 2 you can start mushy foods, but you still probably won't be able to get your protein requirement in without protein drinks. Gook luck! Just do it!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Post-op my taste had changed and I had to try many brands of protein to be able to find one I could stand. And sometimes after a few weeks, I would feel nauseous again just with the smell and would need to switch again.

The best thing to do is to get samples and try what you can before buying the full size box or bag of expensive protein, I gave away so many boxes it was a real waste.

I had a stomach repair in France one month ago, here the guidelines don't advise protein shakes, but full liquids with meat/veggies, yogurt etc. Lucky because again, I can't stand any of my protein shakes.... no surprise!

Having savory food is always easier on my stomach, so you should feel better when you eat pureed food. Just remembered to have small bites the size of a peanut at first, because your stomach is the size of a pencil. Big bites can hurt!

And no worries, not eating for ten days is fine, if you drink enough it's all good...you just need to start proteins really soon...

Take care

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kristen NZ's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/22/2019
    Surgeon
    Mark Smith
    Last Activity
    03-29-2020 07:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Hi - I know what you mean about the protein shakes - I’m finding it hard to finish mine and one meal seems to blend into the next. ~I can have soup as long as the protein level is high enough and if it’s not then I am allowed to have any meat or bean based soup and add 4 tbsps of skim milk powder.
    I also have whey protein powder which I can have instead of the Optifast shake and that is not so thick - both of these are made up with 200 mls of calcium rich low fat milk.
    I am looking forward to the puréed food stage as well but I guess this is just two weeks of liquids so will chug on through! Glad all going well for you otherwise!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Larman View Post
    So I’m just over a week postop and things are going well but I am having a very difficult time getting the shakes down for no other reason that I am repulsed by them. I have ordered the iso-pure drinks that were given to me at the hospital which is more liquid consistency they should be in today I think I will not have a problem getting them in. I am drinking my water and occasionally have a sugar-free pudding or Jell-O. But other than that I have not had anything to eat for a couple days now. August 5 I’m able to go on puréed foods foods so hopefully that will help?
    I remember being repulsed by the protein shakes. I couldn’t stomach the smell...never mind the taste :-(

Nectar protein powder comes in a variety pack of flavors. That worked great...variety was the key. I have since settled on my favorite flavors.

Isopure went into ice cube trays for a trickle effect.

Bone broth is another winner at this stage.

Fluid and protein are the only things to concentrate on right now ;-)

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/18/2019
    Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

So my shipment of isopure came today and I mix it half-and-half with water and I can easily drink this. I think I am just overly sensitive to sweet at this point and I hope that goes away.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/18/2019
    Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Can anyone recommend a protein powder mix that is similar to taste as Isopure? I am looking for thin water like consistancy drink not a shake. Isopure is like $2 per serving.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

Can anyone recommend a protein powder mix that is similar to taste as Isopure? I am looking for thin water like consistancy drink not a shake. Isopure is like $2 per serving.
    Nectar...I recommended it above.

It’s not available in stores as far as I know. You can order a sample pack here:

http://https://store.*****************/products/syntrax-nectar-protein-powder-trial-sizes-17-flavors-to-choose-from?variant=41056157453&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source =google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KC QjwsvrpBRCsARIsAKBR_0I32sfLtN9vUa2K7JD3kiYDNIdvcUv At3fnAIj3QXFZ0t_t1SvFKoEaAkiDEALw_wcB

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Hi Larman, glad to see you're doing ok. It was hard to find a protein drink I really liked. I finally settled on Unjury and Isopure too. I still drink at least 1-2 protein shakes a day......I love them. Once I started on pureed food I started gaining strength and energy back. Just remember to follow the directions of what you can have and eat slooooooooowly. Small bites, stopping in between. I had to really work on not eating too fast (it tasted so good to 'eat' again) because if you don't you're stomach will let you know it's not too happy.

Have you started your vitamins yet? That will help your energy levels also. Every day/week get easier I promise. You're doing great!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

So my shipment of isopure came today and I mix it half-and-half with water and I can easily drink this. I think I am just overly sensitive to sweet at this point and I hope that goes away.
    I am still overly sensitive to "sweet" as well. I haven't had anything sweet (snacks, deserts, candy, etc.) since my surgery. What is crazy is that sweets were one of my biggest weaknesses. I had a raging sweet tooth, now I can't stand anything that tastes sugary. I would have never imagined that would happen.

19. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

It's not just you, those favors are super weird. I diluted mine with tons of ice. I'm so thrilled you found a way to get your protein and liquid in! You're on your way friend!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    I am still overly sensitive to "sweet" as well. I haven't had anything sweet (snacks, deserts, candy, etc.) since my surgery. What is crazy is that sweets were one of my biggest weaknesses. I had a raging sweet tooth, now I can't stand anything that tastes sugary. I would have never imagined that would happen.
    That's chemical. When you drop refined sugars regular fruit tastes like candy because your body loses the sweet tolerance it had before.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Went through the same thing. The shakes that I thought were good pre op were nasty post op. The sweetness made me want to puke. I got by on creamed soups made with fairlife milk to add extra protein, hot tea, and lattes made with fairlife milk, espresso, and Splenda. Eventually I was able to drink them again. I think you have a temporary change in taste buds when you first have the surgery. Hang in there. Hopefully you are feeling better in the pureed foods stage!

Surgery date
    07/18/2019
    Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Well the shakes are still not going well. The latest batch are making me run to the bathroom. I hope this is not my life now being feathered to the toilet. Doctors visit in two days hopefully they can provide some insight.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

Sorry you’re experiencing issues with the protein shakes :-(

From my own experience...after severe complications, 5 surgeries, 4.5 months in hospital between the vomiting and diarrhea every 2 minutes I thought I’d be tethered to a toilet for the rest of my life. It took time, but it did get better. I still have issues and yet I wouldn’t go back to my pre-sleeved miserable life even if I could.

Yes, hopefully your Dr/Bari Team can help. Please keep at them until they do!

Sending All Good Thoughts and Prayers ;-)