Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Summer Schedule Struggle -- anyone else?

I am a person who likes routine, because then when I deviate, at least I can get back to something. And it doesn't really matter what that schedule is, or if I have to change it.

Summertime for us is lots of our family in and out -- my grown daughters (and families) have been in and out more than usual, and my family from WA state are coming for two weeks. I have so far been able to keep to 90% healthy eating and am weighing at least every other day. I am, as always, tracking everything, even if I made a less than perfect choice.

So the practical things I am handling - weight goes up and down 3-5 pounds and stays within the 23 BMI. It is just stressing the mess out of me.

Does anyone else wind themselves up over things that really aren't happening? Somewhere lurking in the idea that I will gain a bazillion pounds in 2 days. My head knows it's not true. The mirror and the camera (and my lovely husband) reflect a different truth. But its almost a panicky feeling.

Yes, I am seeing a counselor. Just wondered how other people deal with the head thing.

Seeking magician? I would if there was a magic wand lol.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Summer Schedule Struggle -- anyone else?

hello Annie!

I understand very well the stressful feeling you get when the scale is moving the wrong way!

What I realized this Winter, during those five months gaining each week with cortisone, sometimes things happen, nothing you can do about it, the best way to handle it is watch your nutrition and do your best to eat healthy 95% of the time. That should be fine!! also if your pants are still fine, you are doing good! forget about the scale and try it only once a week, but try something fitted once a day if you prefer? with Summer, the heat and more drinking/water retention, the scale is not very accurate anyway.

I could tell I was gaining each week on my face and my pants kept getting smaller and smaller, I had to switch size twice, such a setback!.

Since I'm now done with surgeries, hopefully for good, I did gain with the last surgery on 6/28 (indeed) but finally the weight is going down! I'm not eating much with the extensive repair...liquid, liquid!

It will be a very long process to lose those +30 pounds, I guess at least 6 months, but I know my priority is keep my iron level up, and that way my immune system will be better too and I won't need prednisone this Fall....I hope!

Don't worry and enjoy your Summer and company!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Going to the lake for a week tomorrow, then Minneapolis for a long wedding weekend, then home a few days before almost 3 weeks in Africa. I always do so much better at home with my routine, but I can do this. If I go on a trip knowing I'll do my best, I'm typically fine. If I visit my grandkids and eat all their junk, I come back with a gain. It's all a mind game with me.

The climb will be fun, as they say no dieting or you won't have the energy to hike. So for those 9 days I'll try to eat as much as they want me to. I'll probably have to pack snacks as I can't eat big meals, but they told me I can take leftovers in my pack.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I understand totally. I am a creature of habit. Mon-Fri is great. I'm at work, I organise and pack my meals the night before and pretty much eat the same things every day (I'm fine with that!). The weekends it can go a bit pear shaped if I am not careful. Busy with the grandkids, out for a meal here and there, not regular meal/snack times etc. It's never too terrible but I prefer the routine of the week.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

O, same here.
    On the days we are not actually travelling I do so much better, with my routine.
    On the "driving days" however, it remains a struggle.
    I work very hard to work things out, when on the road.
    Lots of planning and prepping involved...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I'm also a creature of habit and love having my eating scheduled, it keeps me on track and focused. I recently traveled and worried about everything for the first couple of days, but after that I made myself relax and enjoy the time away with friends and family. I made conscious decisions about what I was eating without being paranoid. It actually worked out because I actually lost a couple of pounds (never sat still LOL) instead of gaining any.

It's definitely a learning process, but I have to stay vigilant or the old, unhealthy way of snacking, grazing, etc. can sneak up on me.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Annie, you're just a human being who struggles with what all humans struggle with -- staying health when we're traveling. It is NOT peculiar to you at all.

It's clear that every human who struggles to avoid old, destructive behaviors or to build new, beneficial behaviors are more successful when they are in a familiar environment they can control. It's very stressful for us.

For instance, travel away from our home and beds and familiar surroundings really screws with our sleep patterns .

It obviously screws with our eating and food choices (the good foods we need aren't always around, but junk foods and high-sugary and other carb foods that we normally avoid or minimize are available on every gas station countertop, interstate exit, and even nice restaurant menus).

In the mornings when we're in a rush trying to get everyone organized or make an early flight it's harder to take our daily meds/supplements regularly.

And staying well hydrated while traveling is really a bitch! After all, who wants stop every hour for a pee stop while driving 400-500 miles in a day. And nobody wants to crawl over people and down the aisle on an airplane to pee, even assuming the seatbelt sign isn't on for the whole flight.

Travel also screws with our normal exercise regimen. Try doing yoga classes or aquarobics or gym visits during a three week trip overseas or to visit your Mama who lives in Podunkville where there isn't even a YMCA -- HA!

One thing I'm finally realizing is that I need to take more responsibility for making HEALTHY foods much more available when I'm on the road -- in hotel rooms, in relatives' refrigerators and cabinets, etc. I have definitely noticed that when I don't eat healthy foods I'm much more likely to eat unhealthy foods. Sounds obvious, eh? Duh.

BTW, I'm about to take a week-long trip soon to a location 400 miles away that I'll drive to. There I'll be staying in a hotel, and I have a new travel plan that includes:

1. Reserving a hotel room with a refrigerator and a microwave.

2. Going to the grocery store once I roll into town.

3. Taking my favorite protein shakes.

4. Carrying my Camelbak water container with me (lately it's really helping me drink a lot more water)

5. I just created an alarm on my phone to remind myself to go to bed at a reasonable hour so I can actually get 7-8 hours sleep every night.

6. I never used to track on MFP during my trips / vacations, but this time I'm going to do so and see if it helps me be more mindful about food, water and exercise.

7. My eating plan for this trip includes involves eating a big salad once a day (likely for lunch) so I can keep my fiber intake close to normal and not get "backed up," which always makes me feel sluggish.

8. I'm going to pack road trip food for the drive up -- chicken tenders, apples, protein drinks, baby carrots, etc., rather than do drive-through fast food stops along the interstate.

I'll try to report back here about how these things worked for me.

Any other travel tips y'all want to throw down for me?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

I ditto Ann2.

I do all of the above when traveling. Choosing the groceries I would normally eat keeps me “Mindful and Vigilant” today and every day. As does logging everything that passes my lips.

Having a routine is important for me no matter who, where, what. My head doesn’t try to sabotage my fun when I take these steps.

Annie, I hope you’re able to relax and have fun with your family. That’s one of the gifts VSG has given me ;-)

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I second everything everyone said here and I too like eating my "regular weekday way" but after 8 years, have adapted to eating out, traveling , etc. I also like to stay where I have a "kitchenette" and buy my fruits, yogurt, protein shakes, etc to keep on hand. I also try to buy healthy snacks, like nuts, chick peas and things like that. Being able to be so active on vacation helps with not gaining weight, although that does happen to me after a vacation, weekend of fun and different foods. I then go back on the pre op diet for a week and it's gone. I am getting older and life is becoming shorter, so I try not to stress about these matters as I once did earlier in the journey and also practice "mindfullness" even when eating out. Luckily, I still can't eat too much at one meal so I tend to stick to the rule of protein first and that doesn't leave much room for other goodies, but if they do pass my mouth (don't know how that candy got there I go right back to my "bariatric way" at the next meal. I plan for the restaurant we might choose while away also and that helps as I check the menu first.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Today we rode all over the Adirondack Mountains. I took single serving tuna and salmon pouches. I love these and chicken for lunch or a snack. I can carry them in the saddle bags, open, drain and eat with my fingers.

We’re visiting with various family members on this trip and it pays to be prepared. Especially when their main food group is sugar, carb and fat. I can’t tell you how many times I have said “No, thank you” to dessert (especially spumoni and cannoli). Every other word, (in any sentence) in my Italian family is “Mangia”. LOL

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

THANK you one and all! Some great tips, and yes, Ann2, some obvious reminders for me! Including the fact I am human, and the BEDTIME reminder was truly needed. I have to get in the habit of prepping for the company by staying up a bit past 8 (yes, bedtime for me) so that I am not up at 5, 4 hours ahead of everyone. Then I try to stay up and think if I have a bite of this or that, I won't be tired. Eating is apparently not the same as sleeping, lol.

I'm only "juggling" up and down about 3 lbs, without trying to get crazy. I do track.

One of my big difference was early on I took things with me, but as I added more things, I thought it would be easier not to take them. Well durn. It is easier, but not smarter since its jot always things that are optimal for me.

One of you needs to write the Zen of Maintenance.....pretty sure it's not me!

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

This is a great thread!
    I am home for the summer, so not working and being home can be challenging. I am keeping myself busy by going to the gym every day. I'm also staying on the same eating schedule as if I were at school. I've gotten great tips on traveling for my upcoming trip to Malta/Rome. I've already gone on the airlines websites and changed my meal to a low calorie meal. I am planning on taking my protein powder and shaker cup, also the tuna packs are also a great idea. I think as we always say being mindful and vigilant is the key.

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/07/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Foote
    Last Activity
    01-12-2020 03:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I, too, am off school for the summer. I love the idea of keeping the same eating schedule. When I read that, I was like "Duh!", it makes so much sense!

27. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

We just got to the lake last night and stopped to shop before we got here. My summer favorite is fruit, watermelon, cherries, blueberries, and raspberries. Protein and veggies too. Of course we're staying in a house with a big fridge, so that may make a difference. But if I'm hungry I have tons of delicious snacks.

For the first time ever I thought to oder just a side of scrambled eggs at McDonald's driving here for breakfast. I'm learning with age! It's not easy to find healthy choices on the road. I did pack some snacks and drinks in a cooler.

Last night we had fresh caught fish. Can't get any better than that!

29. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

You are going to be so ready for your climb! Way to go, sraebaer!