Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Dumping syndrome

I had my gallbladder removed on 6/14. Friday I was diagnosed with dumping syndrome because of it. So much fun! Has any experienced dumping syndrome for any reason and taken questran? I was also given omeprazole for the bile coming up and the side effects of that medication are all the symptoms I have from dumping syndrome so that’s fun. I haven’t started either yet. I am just curious how that’s gonna go and if any has taken it. I was told to mix the questran powder in 8oz of water, drink it, then eat. I can’t eat after I drink 8oz of water.
    I had an illnesses and was hospitalized in February. All I did January-March was puke. Then my gallbladder started bothering me and I was puking again. Now that it’s out nothing stays in me either way. I’m so very sick of it. I think I’ve developed some type of eating disorder. I’m so afraid to eat. I’ll only eat if I’m at home. I can keep a Starbucks frap down and in..so that’s my calories and sugar to keep me moving at work.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member madjar1106's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. B
    Last Activity
    08-24-2021 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Dumping syndrome

I had my gallbladder removed the same time as my VSG. If I eat fatty/greasy foods, I will have terrible diarrhea later that day or the next day. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired and I used to have terrible heartburn & when I took omeprazole it would give me diarrhea too. I'm sorry you're going through all that!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing such a difficult time. I haven't had any problems like those, so I can't offer any advice. I'm sure that there will be some other members who can offer some help. Sending you wishes for quick healing in the meantime. Hang in there!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I thought that only happened with the bypass. Gallbladder too? No advice, but hope you feel better soon.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

I’m sooo sorry you’re experiencing this unpleasantness.

I empathize. I had severe complications after surgery. I vomited every other minute for the first 6 months. Eventually it got better. I still have some problems with vomiting. I have a “black list” of foods I absolutely cannot eat. I understand being “afraid” to eat. I take it one bite at a time.

I take omeprazole every day and it helps.

Sending All Good Thoughts and Prayers.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

"Dumping" occurs with both the bypass and the sleeve, albeit; less with the sleeve. Any rapid transference of fatty foods, that one bite too much or eating too quickly may cause these symptoms. There is a product, although this is only a personal endorsement, called George's Aloe Water, which can be bought on Amazon or in the Vitamin Shoppe; that actually relieves many gastric symptoms by using this product. My husband, who is not a patient, has acid reflux and uses it and has achieved great success with the product. No more medications or shortness of breath, which may occur from acid reflux. Just saying...
    Disclaimer, too much of the product may cause loose stools, so he stays with 2 ounces 2x's per day!

9. Said thanks: