Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    09-23-2020 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default Philadelphia Inquirer: Weight loss prior to bariatric surgery carries risks

The headline is slightly off center from the story's primary message. The article itself raises excellent points about wasting time and money on pre-surgery weight-loss plans for insurance-covered patients.

"Weight loss prior to bariatric surgery carries risks"

https://www.inquirer.com/health/bari...-20190704.html

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Philadelphia Inquirer: Weight loss prior to bariatric surgery carries risks

Self pay people don't have to lose any weight before surgery, at least I didn't. Sounds like an ineffective insurance requirement! (An unnecessary hoop.)

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Philadelphia Inquirer: Weight loss prior to bariatric surgery carries risks

Thank you for sharing this article.

I was also self-pay and wasn’t “required” to jump through any pre-surgery weight loss hoops. I was encouraged by my Bari Team to practice eating the way I would be eating post-surgery. If I remember correctly, the 3 days prior to VSG was to shrink my liver.

I know some insurance providers require up to 6 months of weight loss trials. I watched my sisters-in-law agonize through that 6 months. It’s insane! :-(

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Like for everything in life, it's always good to look at the whole picture and not just an article in a newspaper because most journalists know nothing about nutrition.

Here is the conclusion of the study's abstract " Conclusion

Weight loss prior to metabolic and bariatric surgery may not be necessary or safe for all patients. Unsafe weight loss prior to surgery may compromise nutrition status and lead to increased infection rates."

So it gives a little perspective about the newspaper's article right?

In my own experience, and because my BMI was really high prior to the sleeve, my surgeon did ask me to lose at least 5% of my body weight to decrease risks of the surgery.
    I did lose the weight with a good nutrition and all my tests EKG, blood test, scan etc got better !!! so my surgery was than less risky.

For many surgeons, if patients can't comply to the pre op diet it is also a bad omen to what's going to happen post-op. No compliant patients won't lose weight or will just regain it all. So why perform a surgery when you know it won't work?

My rescue surgery last week didn't have a pre op diet. I'm not at the BMI I was before the sleeve, and lifting my liver to repair my stomach was indeed less risky.
    I personally think a pre op diet is important, probably not 6 months like many do in the US, but at least 3 months are a big help to prevent complications.

But a real diet supervised by professionals, with patients taking supplements/vitamins and getting regular blood tests do monitor potential deficiencies. A diet where patient learn about food and what to eat, not just a "drink shakes all day and watch your scale" diet.

Not everything is always about money, I do believe that pre-op diet can save lifes.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Self pay people don't have to lose any weight before surgery, at least I didn't. Sounds like an ineffective insurance requirement! (An unnecessary hoop.)
    My doc had me lose 20 pounds to shrink my liver even though I was self pay. He had me on a diet that mirrored post op to do it.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sinishado's Avatar
    Last Activity
    07-23-2020 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hmm .. interesting article