Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-27-2019 09:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Not following recommened diet post op

So, I am about 3 weeks post op, and have not been following my post op diet. For example, I am allowed pureed chicken, but instead have just been very thoroughly chewing chicken. I have also eaten small pieces of bread. I am moving more towards following my diet, so I am getting back on track, but I am wondering if anyone else did something similar?

I've had my post op appointments, and everything is okay as of now. No signs of a leak.

Besides the risk of leak, or the uncomfortable feeling, whats the worse that could happen from not entirely following post op diet?
    Is it possible to stretch my stomach this early?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not following recommened diet post op

My response is, talk to your doctor; he's got a progam that works for people. I would be concerned first, that bread is really not the best choice for healing of your stomach or long term weight loss succeess. It's a "slider".

I followed everything to the letter; as "self pay" I can't afford to fail and go back. Please remember -- protein first, then HEALTHY carbs (veggies) and then if you might have, after you are healed,room for bread on occassion, it would be great.

No, I don't think chewing well will hurt you with the chicken.

I'm sure one of the folks who've been on longer will respond -- I'm out 21 months out, but hit my goal very early and have been working on the maintenance. Remember you need to rebuild your relationship with food
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I'm just curious as to why you aren't following your recommended diet? Are you still hungry? Honestly, I was so scared of not following the rules, I didn't even think about it. I didn't even take a pill without crushing it until after 6 weeks.

I'm glad your post op was okay. I really don't know the answer to the question about stretching your stomach out this early.

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I wouldn't risk anything and follow all the directions. I sure did. (Especially because I paid it all myself!!)

I assume you run the risk of infection by introducing foods into your unhealed stomach before it's time. Like a piece of chicken getting stuck in the incisions. But I'm really no medical professional, so I don't know. I just followed the program, lost the weight, and kept it off.

I also think if you can't follow the program after 3 weeks, how will you do it the rest of your life?

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I would strongly recommend staying away from bread or foods that don’t offer you the nutrition you need. You can only eat so much and it’s so important to make the most of that. If not you could end up with deficiencies and you will feel awful or it will impact your health in other areas. Not following the plan this early is gonna set the trend for your future and I’m sure you want to stay on track and meet your goals.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Why would you not follow your surgeons instructions? Not a criticism but an honest question.
    I followed the instructions to a tee as I didn't want to do anything to jeopardise my recovery.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Why should you NOT follow the instructions that were given to you?
    They were given for a reason.
    No, I did not deviate from those rules.
    And when I read you are eating bread, I start to wonder if this surgery is going to work for you.
    You'd better get your act together.
    Just my opinion.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Just looked up the info and it wasn't until 5 weeks (35 days) after surgery that I could eat chicken or bread. Please get out your materials and follow them.

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I am curious as to why you are not following the post op instructions?
    Why have this surgery if you are not going to do the post op recommendations?
    I followed my bariatric teams instructions to the letter. I did not deviate AT ALL. You now have a brand new stomach. Think of going through the food stages just as a baby would. Liquids, purees, soft foods. Your bariatric team has developed a protocol. This protocol also includes getting into a new mindset. Good Luck to you.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

This is the time to start developing new lifestyle behaviors and habits, why would you go through a surgery and not follow the directions of your surgeon, is my first question. I did not eat bread or bread-like foods for the first 6-9 months as I was afraid to be able to eat it and re-develop a liking for the items. I would think you might try new healthier foods and modifying behaviors toward foods and lifestyle changes that will last you a long time or revision might become a reality for you. As kenson said, "Would you feed a baby food after a week," your new tummy is similar. Maintenance is a challenge as many of us have found, so developing new lifestyle changes is of the utmost importance.
    I wish you continued success finding the lifestyle that will maintain your choice to have surgery in order to become healthier through appropriate use of the new "tool" you were fortunate enough to get.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MindySue76's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton Le
    Last Activity
    10-15-2019 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I will be three weeks out tomorrow and honestly, I'm treating myself as a recovering addict.
    My addictions or drug of choice were high sugar, highly refined foods including bread.
    I can tell you right now I'm already so glad I chose to go through with the surgery because I already feel SO MUCH BETTER than I did 4 weeks ago.
    I'm on soft foods right now and following my Dr's plan to the letter. I'm learning new things to cook and a new "recovered" lifestyle.
    If you continue to have trouble following the plan, maybe set up some counseling.
    My insurance covered most of my surgery, but I still shelled out my $5000 out of pocket maximum and I don't want that to be money wasted.
    Good luck to you!

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Flyphillydoc's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/06/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tholey
    Last Activity
    08-13-2019 08:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

It irritates me that literally everyone replied with “why aren’t you following your diet? I’m following mine perfectly...”

If you’re not able to relate to the question, why are you answering?

We have had sneaky, persistent, gluttonous, private, love hate relationships with food and got weight loss surgery because we were obese and wanted to save ourselves from this downward spiral towards diabetes and kidney failure. So if someone cuts off 85% of your stomach one day all that doesn’t go away. Firebug, I suggest you first stop beating yourself up. Second consider getting into therapy. I would say a support group but if everyone was all “I’m following it to a tee!” I think I’d feel worse leaving than going in! So maybe private counseling. Third, fill the space of longing for food (bread etc) with funny series to watch, or time with pets, or researching a new tattoo. We have to fill the space left when we decided it was time to break up with Mr/Ms food (our ex). It used to feel real good but now it’s only hurt and pain. The relationship was plain abusive. And just so you know, you aren’t alone. I’ve cheated on my pre and post op but I got back on track. We all do (except these perfect posters lol, yeah right). The real risk isn’t to your physical sleeve but as I see it, that without a repeated dedication to staying on track you could gain the weight back. I have just as many success stories in real life as people I know who gained it back. So keep that in mind and find something to help distract you from your cravings.

Wish you ALL the best.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

When someone makes a post like this, I think it is very reasonable to ask for the "why".
    Why is someone not following the surgeons rules, especially so early on?
    There must be a reason for posting this, after all.
    So, yes, I would still like to know the "why".
    And that is not because I don't care, because I would not respond at all, if I didn't care.
    And I think that goes for all of us.

I am sorry you feel this way, but frankly, I think your reaction says more about you, then about any of us.
    Yes, I do follow my surgeons rules, always did and hopefully always will.
    Because this is my last resort.
    I will never get another tool to help me stay fit and healthy.
    And just because I have (had?) such a lousy relationship with food, I am determined to never gain my weight back.
    And that (for me) starts right from to get go.
    Because at the very beginning it is relatively easy to follow the rules.
    And I think it is a good idea to use your honeymoon period to incorporate healthy eating habits.
    The bad habits will come back at some point.
    But once you have learned to choose your foods wisely, for an extended period of time, you can always go back to your basics, because you know what they are.
    When you are determined to undermine all this (which is very easy to do) you deny yourself a whole lot of knowledge.

And yes, we have all been there and done that.
    Of course we all know how hard it is.
    And yes, we will all have to stay vigilant, because old habits die hard, or don't die at all.
    And maybe we will fall of the wagon at some point, but we all know what to do, when that happens.
    We all had to learn that from the beginning and that knowledge is what will help us through the rough patches.
    That is why we ask "why do you do that?"
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    When someone makes a post like this, I think it is very reasonable to ask for the "why".
    Why is someone not following the surgeons rules, especially so early on?
    There must be a reason for posting this, after all.
    So, yes, I would still like to know the "why".
    And that is not because I don't care, because I would not respond at all, if I didn't care.
    And I think that goes for all of us.

I am sorry you feel this way, but frankly, I think your reaction says more about you, then about any of us.
    Yes, I do follow my surgeons rules, always did and hopefully always will.
    Because this is my last resort.
    I will never get another tool to help me stay fit and healthy.
    And just because I have (had?) such a lousy relationship with food, I am determined to never gain my weight back.
    And that (for me) starts right from to get go.
    Because at the very beginning it is relatively easy to follow the rules.
    And I think it is a good idea to use your honeymoon period to incorporate healthy eating habits.
    The bad habits will come back at some point.
    But once you have learned to choose your foods wisely, for an extended period of time, you can always go back to your basics, because you know what they are.
    When you are determined to undermine all this (which is very easy to do) you deny yourself a whole lot of knowledge.

And yes, we have all been there and done that.
    Of course we all know how hard it is.
    And yes, we will all have to stay vigilant, because old habits die hard, or don't die at all.
    And maybe we will fall of the wagon at some point, but we all know what to do, when that happens.
    We all had to learn that from the beginning and that knowledge is what will help us through the rough patches.
    That is why we ask "why do you do that?"
    Thanks, Dutchie! You've said quite how I felt. NO, I am not perfect with my food relationships as I head into year 2 in October.

There is truly not an "all or nothing" in life, whether its food relationships or people. We each bring our own stuff to the party, so to speak. But I would ask anyone "why" if they express a behavior that they are concerned enough to share. Not looking at my why's (some of its terrifying) has gotten me into lots of things I might have avoided, if I had a place I might have shared it with the unspoken hope someone cared enough to respond.

I struggle even with my sleeve tool -- not with the weight itself, but with the boogies that lead me to overweight in the first place. Yes, I get counseling. Yes, I post to here for my "peeps" to help me on the road. And I imagine, as I head towards 68, I will continue to need people to care enough to ask me why.

Hugs to anyone who feels "pinched" by the question -- I promise its a loving one.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I wouldn't risk anything and follow all the directions. I sure did. (Especially because I paid it all myself!!)

I assume you run the risk of infection by introducing foods into your unhealed stomach before it's time. Like a piece of chicken getting stuck in the incisions. But I'm really no medical professional, so I don't know. I just followed the program, lost the weight, and kept it off.

I also think if you can't follow the program after 3 weeks, how will you do it the rest of your life?
    The idea of a piece of food stuck sort of made me yak a bit. I was also self pay and for me, it certainly helped in keeping (staying/returning) to healthy choices. I do consider my "price per pound", lol. A good bargain considering the renewed health and activity level!

Hope your hiking is fantastical. Thanks for sharing your take.