Surgeon
    Dr. McKenna
    Last Activity
    12-28-2019 10:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Water consumption

Hello everyone, I’m new here so please bear with me. I haven’t yet had the procedure, but am in the works of making it happen, my traveling job is slowing me down a bit though. Anyway, I came to ask a question. Are you all still able to drink as much water as you want, or like food intake, is that also limited? I drink tons of water and am always thirsty, so I’m just wondering if I will be able to continue to nearly drown myself on a daily basis or if my intake will be cut down dramatically? Thanks for any input. Cheers

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Water consumption

Hi there welcome here.
    Have you already read about this surgery?
    You know it is a surgery, where they take out 80% of your stomach?

I don't know how much you drink, but there are sleeve patients who can drink a gallon per day.
    As for the food intake: the whole point of this surgery is to limit that intake drastically, hence the amputation of a large part of the stomach.

Read and learn a lot, and ask a lot of questions, so you can make a good decision, about what will suit your needs best.
    Good luck!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Notslimtoomuchshady View Post
    Hello everyone, I’m new here so please bear with me. I haven’t yet had the procedure, but am in the works of making it happen, my traveling job is slowing me down a bit though. Anyway, I came to ask a question. Are you all still able to drink as much water as you want, or like food intake, is that also limited? I drink tons of water and am always thirsty, so I’m just wondering if I will be able to continue to nearly drown myself on a daily basis or if my intake will be cut down dramatically? Thanks for any input. Cheers
    Welcome!

Yes, I’m able to drink as much water as I want. I’m NOT able to drink large amounts all at once. I can drink as much as a gallon of water per day...no more than 4 swallows at a time. Since one of the “rules” post-surgery is no drinking 30 minutes before or after eating, I use ice cubes for a trickle effect.

As Dutchie mentioned, VSG removes 80% of your stomach.

Immediately post-surgery, the best any of us can manage are tiny sips every 10 minutes. The volume slowly increases over time.

I hope this helps...You’ve come to the best site for information, encouragement and support. We have a lot of fun, too!

Have you chosen a Bari Team? Is your surgery scheduled yet?

Please keep us updated ;-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yes, there is no limit on water, but it is more difficult to drink early on. At first you have to SIP all day long (a big gulp would be painful), and reach 64 ounces of fluids. But everything counts like tea, coffee (if approved by your doctor), protein drinks, bullion, and of course water.

My doctor says liquids are not limited because unlike food, the liquids just pass right through your stomach. The reason they don't want you drinking before or after a meal is so the food stays in your stomach longer and keeps you full. My nutritionist compared it to a funnel. Put something in it and it will stay for a while, douse it with water and it will come out much faster.

Later on you will be able to drink like you do now, just not while you're healing.

Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

As others have mentioned the only limitation of water consumption will be based on what your tummy can tolerate at any given moment. Before you start adding foods in. you should be fine to drink as much as you can. When you start adding food, you'll have to juggle the 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after rule.

Food limitation is dramatic. I only ate 1/4 cup of food the first month and 1/2 cup the second month and still am at that quantity. It doesn't sound like a lot but I am completely full, and sometimes can't even finish that. I found that planning my meals and keeping a food journal works wonders for me.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

If your thirst is diabetes related then the surgery and diet from it will help since many people go into remission from diabetes due to the surgery. If you haven't yet you should get a blood panel done and check and see if your anemic which is also a cause of excessive thirst.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Your intake will definitely be cut drastically. I, too, was a water guzzler. I mean, I drank it by the gallons. I was always thirsty and always peeing. LOL. I did not have pre diabetes, either. It did cross my mind. After surgery it was a struggle for a few months to meet my fluids goals but I eventually got there. Now I am fast approaching my 3 year surgiversary and I can definitely drink a lot more than I used to. I do not track and I am still not drinking as much as I used to pre op but definitely drinking plenty to stay well hydrated.